shape
carat
color
clarity

Preliminary renderings for your ring. Something is off I think but I dont know what...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

This is my first rendering I had done. Now he needs to know what I think of the basic shape. There is something I perfer in the original more...do render drawings look more clunky (the origingal looks top heavy and delicate band and mine looks oppisite to me)? If you have an suggestion, good or bad comments please leave here. Here is the original that Micheal made for a passed client.

Oh also do you like the ball fish tale prong or standard straight chevron prong tip

teainsp.JPG

Icce

Shiny_Rock
The render he has for me so far

tearender.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great, however, the prongs on the shank of your rendering is like double prongs or four prongs for each melee, so there looks to be more metal showing,is this what you want

ETA: it'll be more delicate IRL.. but looks very beautiful!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks good too! I''ve noticed in other threads that the computer pictures, whatever they''re called, look bigger/clunkier than the actual finished product-I think you''re going to have a stunning ring Icce!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've also heard that the CAD renderings often look chunkier. But if it worries you, you can ask him if he still has the CAD for the green ring, so you can compare the CAD to the product.

I think it'll look great! I really like the prongs in the green ring you posted :)

Icce

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all

MakingTheGrade - He is going to add the pattern on mine after (as he does it by hand). But why does the top of my prong look different than the original. He said they have the balls on top too...Maybe it just looks chunky cause its rendered.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great, too. Often the details aren''t included in the CAD, so it''s difficult to envision the final product.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Icce - I think it''s going to be a beautiful ring! If you are unsure, just ask him - he''s probably more familiar with what detail the CADs can and can''t capture. The things I wondered about are 1) in the CAD, the prongs look like they''re thicker at the bottom and taper towards the top, but I can''t tell if the first ring is like that, 2) on the first ring, the prongs form a "V" on the profile side, but the CAD is flat there, and 3) the diamonds on the shank seem to have a lot of metal in between them. All of these things may just be the limitations of the CAD, however. What stone are you putting in there? I don''t think I''ve seen it before.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A CAD rendering is necessarily chunkier/heftier than the final pieces. After casting, a piece must be filed and finished, which removes material. If the rendering was as delicate as the finished product, the jeweler wouldn''t be able to finish it properly. Prongs are specially heavy because the prongs are usually shaped during setting.

If you trust the person doing the ring, then don''t worry. Just ask the question for peace of mind.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all

Lady_Disdain - the same person that made the first setting is making mine so it should be ok

cellentani - thanks, I am going to ask about theses things and the top...I dont like the round round circles...the first ring has more of a whale tale shape to me. This stone https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-stone-from-barry-may-drop.115874/

Icce

Shiny_Rock
The original top of the claw doesnt look like perfectly round circles to me. This is my very rough drawing of what I see in the other picture...well my claws seem to me more curved. Or do you think round claws would look better..oviously the claws wouldnt me so uneven and big, best I could do in paint. I am not sure what a normal straight chevron prong tip looks like...just a normal ring claw tip?

I agree the melees are spaced too much...too much claws there

teaprong2.JPG

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The prongs on the V in the cad are merged, on the real ring they are partially split. I would check to see if that is just a CAD thing or if it will come out like that when finished.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
As if I didn''t ask enough quetions today...do you like the diamonds in the melee? Would you just scrap the melee stones all together and have Engraving on the shank (Since the prongs alrady have engravings)?

Like the shank in the picture but not that pattern...the pattern that matches the prongs.

2r123b.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the engraving would be really pretty! What kind of wband are you going to put w/it?

Icce

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 10:53:29 PM
Author: packrat
I think the engraving would be really pretty! What kind of wband are you going to put w/it?

RHR so no WBand with it. Though it would be nice as a E-ring and probably sit way more flush with a band than my e-ring (tappered shank but love it solo) but that problem needs to be solved a different day! I asked him if he already ordered the diamonds...if he did, well I wll set them in it as he already got them..if not I may just engrave as I kinda of like the antique look of that.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I like the diamonds. I would do engraving on the side of the shank. And maybe continue the engraving where the diamonds end. If you do that, I would a small portion on the bottom with no engraving, for sizing purposes.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the engraving better than the diamonds now that you mention it. I think either way, though, you are going to have one pretty ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 6:31:56 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I''ve also heard that the CAD renderings often look chunkier. But if it worries you, you can ask him if he still has the CAD for the green ring, so you can compare the CAD to the product.

I think it''ll look great! I really like the prongs in the green ring you posted :)
Ditto that. I was concerned when I saw the CAD of my earrings. The metal was so chunky and think but the real thing turned out more reasonably sized.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 10:17:09 PM
Author: Icce
As if I didn''t ask enough quetions today...do you like the diamonds in the melee? Would you just scrap the melee stones all together and have Engraving on the shank (Since the prongs alrady have engravings)?

Like the shank in the picture but not that pattern...the pattern that matches the prongs.
Having an engraved shank would definitely match and flow with the engraved prongs. You do have to consider if you will miss the added bling of diamonds in the shank. Some people like the simplicity of metals while others don’t think gemstones look as good without some diamond sparkle.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my 2 cents!

Yes, CADs always look more bulky BUT you wouldn''t see such large spaces between the diamonds in the shank. That''s definitely something that needs altering.

As for engraving ......... I personally wouldn''t. Your central stone is large and whilst diamonds will compliment and sparkle, I just have a feeling that the engraving will compete and your eye will focus on too many things. If your central stone was smaller I don''t think that would be such an issue but I''d be very tempted to keep the diamonds but squish them more together so there''s far less metal showing.

It''s going to look very pretty when it''s finished.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
The setting looks quite pretty. Who is doing the setting? Michael?

Icce

Shiny_Rock
Cind11 - Yes, Micheal is.

He is gone for the weekend so he won''t get back to me till Monday but keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestions all!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results