shape
carat
color
clarity

Preggo stuff, Baby Stuff, Toddler Stuff...post your best finds here!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 11:54:45 AM
Author: meresal
Just so that everyone knows... the Naturepedic Organic Baby Crib and Toddler Bed Mattress has been discontinued.

Re: White Noise

We registered for the ''Sound Sleeper'' from BRU... but haven''t received it. However, at our shower, we received this thing called the Mommy Bear with Womb Sound . I LOVE this thing, and you just wrap it around one of the posts on your crib with the velcro strap.

I bought that. Not loud enough to soothe my cranky kid. Cute idea though.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 12:19:33 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Just so that everyone knows... the Naturepedic Organic Baby Crib and Toddler Bed Mattress has been discontinued.

We registered for the 'Sound Sleeper' from BRU... but haven't received it. However, at our shower, we received this thing called the Mommy Bear with Womb Sound . I LOVE this thing, and you just wrap it around one of the posts on your crib with the velcro strap.

I bought that. Not loud enough to soothe my cranky kid. Cute idea though.
Haha... thanks for the reality check
9.gif
. We are buying a cd player/Ipod dock for the nursery as well. I may try the other ideas here as well.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock

We registered for the 'Sound Sleeper' from BRU... but haven't received it. However, at our shower, we received this thing called the Mommy Bear with Womb Sound . I LOVE this thing, and you just wrap it around one of the posts on your crib with the velcro strap.
Meresal, Do you mean all the Naturepedic Organic crib mattresses, or is this a specific one? I ask because we just got one and I'm curious why they would discontinue them (i.e. is there a quality problem)? Also, it looks like there're still widely available online...Thanks for any info!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re: white noise, we have the sleep sheep on the go which we love love love esp since it is velcroable to the car seat etc. we take it with us when we leave the house too and he naps in restaurants with it, a lot easier than rocking the car seat with our hand while we eat. it was $17 on amazon BUT only plays for 45 min.

burk i was wondering about that homedics! for $20 it can''t be beat. we might try it. i want to have something else on hand for when the sheep isn''t cutting it. did you get it at the BBB store or have to order it online? i have to go to BBB today anyway.

ginger...i sometimes want us to get something that DOES play all night but on the other hand the sheep plays for 45 min and he goes down for 10 hours in silence after that. so i told greg, well lets get something we can leave on for him all night, and he was like well do you want him to become reliant on it when he doesnt need it right now? good point dad. but still sometimes i am like ''if only we had a white noise machine...''...because our house is creaky and loud and his room is right in the middle of the action.

mandarine..i was thinking about the fan too because he will need one anyway for summer, our house gets hot and then it can be white noise as well.

oh and new moms...i''d almost just get one thing to start and see if your kid likes it because like someone else said, sometimes the kids need other sounds to soothe that are harder to ''buy''. vacuum or hair dryer. our kid liked the oven fan and bathroom fans which are so loud. he does like the ''rainforest'' sound on the swing but other than that he likes bland white noise, nothing too stimulating so a lot of the FP stuff won''t really work for us.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
The one I was registered for, is a dual purpose. Firmest on one side for baby period... and then you can flip it over for a softer side, once they are toddlers. It runs about $259. However, when we went into BRU this weekend to buy it, I was told it had been discontinued.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 11:38:49 AM
Author: Burk

Date: 4/5/2010 2:17:44 AM
Author: gingerB
white noise recs? machine? cd? what do you use/recommend. we need somehting that can playall night.
We have this and love it. We play it all night long. And, it was only $20.
9.gif
The baby crack machine
2.gif

Have the same one and I absolutely love it. This, the swing, and now the jumperoo are the best baby purchases we have made/were given. And aside from the noise, it also has a projector which they don''t really get into until they''re a little older but it helps with soothing too. Sometimes when Sophia is falling asleep but is fighting it, I''ll put the projector on and she''ll stare at it for 10 minutes before falling asleep.

Now if only it would come with a remote control...that works through doors lol

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI, the link I attached lets you hear a sample of the sound so mamas with babies can test them out. We just bought the 10 min MP3 for $2.95 and played it on loop but they do offer a 12 hour one. Cannot even imagine.

Mere, hey, it could work for your baby! Keep the box just in case
2.gif
Get a player with a remote. It was awesome to just turn it on w/o having to get up or having it right next to my head.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re: remote control. sometimes J starts to kind of fuss and wake himself up with his struggles, but if we turn on the white noise he goes back down. having to go into his room to do this just risks further waking him esp with our creaky wood floors. all these baby things should have remotes!!

oh and we have that $250 naturepedic mattress, we love it so far. not sure why it's discontinued, but i know target has it too.

another stroller Q...i promise to buy something soon.
3.gif

BRU has 20% off sale today only for almost all baby stuff, check it out if you didn't get the email buttttt i noticed the Baby Trend Velocity Jogging Stroller is only $135. the reviews are all great for it--only downers seem to be seat recline is a little low and that it doesn't have one hand fold. but it has bicycle tires and seems pretty decent for price/walks--if i didn't want to pay the $300 for the BOB. does anyone have this? recommends/dislikes?

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 1:22:56 PM
Author: Mara

burk i was wondering about that homedics! for $20 it can''t be beat. we might try it. i want to have something else on hand for when the sheep isn''t cutting it. did you get it at the BBB store or have to order it online? i have to go to BBB today anyway.

ginger...i sometimes want us to get something that DOES play all night but on the other hand the sheep plays for 45 min and he goes down for 10 hours in silence after that. so i told greg, well lets get something we can leave on for him all night, and he was like well do you want him to become reliant on it when he doesnt need it right now? good point dad. but still sometimes i am like ''if only we had a white noise machine...''...because our house is creaky and loud and his room is right in the middle of the action.
Mara~I got it in the store-just asked them to point me in the right direction right when I walked in to save time. We also have the sheep and love it but I noticed he''d wake sometimes right around 45-50 minutes right when sheep shut off so I figured if he needs a "crutch" for sleep white noise is the least of my worries.
21.gif
We bring the sheep with us in the car, ect.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I saw a man out running with a Baby Trend Expedition Jogging stroller this weekend, so I looked it up. Seems like it gets good reviews of the sort ''best jogging stroller in this price range'', ''great if you can''t afford a Bob'', etc. And an occasional person that was unhappy with it and needed something nicer/more sturdy for running, but a lot of people were happy with it. Anyway. REI also has a 20% off coupon for members going until 4/18 if you want to suck it up and get the Bob. If you don''t know a member and want to buy in, it is only some nominal one-time fee, and you get 5% rebate annually on all full price purchases, so we have easily made back our membership fee many times over with only occasional REI purchases over the years.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks cara... i just spent like 20 min online trying to find info on the velocity but it seems kind of new (as of feb of this year?) and not that many places carry it. i think it's a 'workout' stroller as it has an mp3 player speaker thing in the top. i don't really care about that but it looks smaller than expedition which intrigued me. i will try to get into BRU today to check it out since there is not much info online.

i don't know WHY i have such a mental block on the BOB... it's just so huge and unwieldy, i don't like the way it looks, plus it's so expensive just to be used as a walking stroller for us. the Velocity looks like it folds smaller (so if i can get it in the car it'd be great), and the real tires are a draw for sure, and if we can get it for basically free (we have BRU gift cards) i am thinking why not just try it and see. oh and it will take our graco car seat too.

burk... does the homedics play continuously? on BBB it doesn't say. anyway i have to go get coffee pods so i will see if they have it.

cara

Ideal_Rock
For what its worth the expedition also looked smaller than the Bob, and they had an infant carseat rearfacing in there somehow. Probably not abiding by the whole 6-months til running restriction.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
DON''T BUY THE BABY TREND JOGGING STROLLER!

Sorry, just wanted to catch your eyes.

I had the Expedition one. 2 months of walking with it on normal neighborhood sidewalks and the front swivel wheel''s bearing gave out. The did send me a new front fork with bearings, and told me only to have the front wheel unlocked on smooth surfaces. Like indoors. Totally defeats the purpose of a swivel wheel on a stroller! I sold it on Craigslist (with full disclosure to the new owner) and got a different 3 wheeler. If you read the reviews a bit more in-depth, most of the glowing ones didn''t have it for long. The bad reviews are people that actually used the thing and found out the wheel sucked.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock

We registered for the ''Sound Sleeper'' from BRU... but haven''t received it. However, at our shower, we received this thing called the Mommy Bear with Womb Sound . I LOVE this thing, and you just wrap it around one of the posts on your crib with the velcro strap.

which one meresal?? can you point me in the right direction? we registered for one but hadn''t received it and we were holding off on purchasing it since we don''t need it right away...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks MG (lol re the caps!)...

i did read a few reviews that people''s front wheel was coming loose but multiple people said that they just removed the fender and tightened the nut themselves and that took care of it... sounds like the same issue?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 1:24:20 PM
The one I was registered for, is a dual purpose. Firmest on one side for baby period... and then you can flip it over for a softer side, once they are toddlers. It runs about $259. However, when we went into BRU this weekend to buy it, I was told it had been discontinued.

whoops, guess i should have read all the posts before freaking out and asking the same question you already answered! haha. that''s the one we registered for too. have you checked at buy buy baby?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 2:25:01 PM
thanks cara... i just spent like 20 min online trying to find info on the velocity but it seems kind of new (as of feb of this year?) and not that many places carry it. i think it''s a ''workout'' stroller as it has an mp3 player speaker thing in the top. i don''t really care about that but it looks smaller than expedition which intrigued me. i will try to get into BRU today to check it out since there is not much info online.

i don''t know WHY i have such a mental block on the BOB... it''s just so huge and unwieldy, i don''t like the way it looks, plus it''s so expensive just to be used as a walking stroller for us. the Velocity looks like it folds smaller (so if i can get it in the car it''d be great), and the real tires are a draw for sure, and if we can get it for basically free (we have BRU gift cards) i am thinking why not just try it and see. oh and it will take our graco car seat too.

burk... does the homedics play continuously? on BBB it doesn''t say. anyway i have to go get coffee pods so i will see if they have it.
I''m not burk (obv lol) but yes it does. And it has a volume adjustment. When we''re awake, I put it loud so that she can''t hear what''s going on but when we''re asleep, it''s on really low. It also plugs in.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 2:49:48 PM
Author: jcrow

Date: 4/5/2010 1:24:20 PM

whoops, guess i should have read all the posts before freaking out and asking the same question you already answered! haha. that's the one we registered for too. have you checked at buy buy baby?
J- I knew you registered for this and was hioping that you had already bought it! I haven't checked a BBB store in person since we don't have one in Houston, and haven't checked online either place. My mom and I didn't like the idea of having to pay for the shipping. We just really wanted to get a mattress out of the way, so I went with something else.
(Got the Simmons Beautyrest Beginnings Advance Crib and Toddler Bed Mattress instead: Baby and Toddler Mattress in 1 - only bad review was because they tried to take the sticker off the mattress, and found out it stayed sticky underneath.
20.gif
)

There was only one Naturepedic Organic left in all the stores in Houston. It was in Cypress.

ETA: BRU says that it is still available *online*. I'm guessing they are doing that until they run out of what they have in stock.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 2:48:33 PM
thanks MG (lol re the caps!)...

i did read a few reviews that people''s front wheel was coming loose but multiple people said that they just removed the fender and tightened the nut themselves and that took care of it... sounds like the same issue?
We thought the same thing, we''ll just fix it ourselves! DH had to tighten the nut so much that it got stripped. About once a week the wheel would start wobbling or darting sideways, so he''d tighten it again. I used it about 5 times a week for a 30 minute walk, when Kyle was a newborn. I had a c-section, so it''s not like I was moving all that fast either.

After we had the front fork replaced I did use it another 5 months, but we also didn''t unlock the wheel again, DH was paranoid after Baby Trend said "only on smooth surfaces". I got sick of babying the stroller.

It also didn''t seem as solidly built as I would have liked, the joints were kinds loose and moved around more than I thought it should.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
meresal - do you know if it''s just BRU no longer carrying the mattress?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
good to know MG...!

re: the naturepedic mattress .. i got ours at target and it''s free shipping online for it.. just FYI.

re: the lullaby homedics.. my closest BBB didnt have it but one a few miles the other way does, so i''ll try to get it tomorrow.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, since Mara is looking at Bumbleride vs BOB, I thought I'd post some links to articles here.

Here is one on BOB 2007 vs Bumbleride 2007. Not the latest, but gives you on idea on the differences. As far as I know, 2007 BOB is still pretty much same as the current. The Rocket is the Indie's predecessor

http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/Page?template=BOB+Revolution+and+Bumbleride+Rocket

Baby Gizmo's review/overview of the Indie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdUT0Wq_36s

And a strollermama's info for what's new with Bumbleride for 2010. She's a retail site with a blog.

http://www.strollermama.com/blog/2009/09/20/whats-new-for-bumbleride-in-2010/

Mara, looking at it, I think it you want to fork out the money, it might be the perfect stroller for you! In fact, in your case with what you want to do (and your trunk situation), I actually vote Bumbleride if you think the ride is good. The fold is pretty much identical to BOB but it has a locking mechanism (my biggest gripe with BOB.) I think you'd be happier with Bumbleride vs BOB and the basket looks better as well.

BumBobcomparison.jpg

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I vote Bumbleride too.
Super cute and has what you are looking for for your walks, etc.
It was my dream stroller, but I knew I wanted to actually jog with the boys so that''s why I went the BOB route. There was a gal with a Bumbleride at church this weekend (a single one) and it''s definitely a cute stroller!

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
We just got the Bumbleride Indie 2010. Definitely cute, though no performance review yet b/c the LO hasn't yet arrived. A bit more expensive than BOB (we were also deciding between the two) but it comes with more accessories that you have to buy separately with BOB, IIRC. It also seemed a bit easier to manuever in tight spaces. The 2010 version comes with a car seat adaptor that now works with the Keyfit 30 also (great for us since we already had that seat).

I will say the one downside for the Bumbleride for us was that the weight limit is lower than the BOB. But we figure by that point we might be needing a double stroller anyway...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 1:51:00 PM
Author: lovinsparkles
We just got the Bumbleride Indie 2010. Definitely cute, though no performance review yet b/c the LO hasn't yet arrived. A bit more expensive than BOB (we were also deciding between the two) but it comes with more accessories that you have to buy separately with BOB, IIRC. It also seemed a bit easier to manuever in tight spaces. The 2010 version comes with a car seat adaptor that now works with the Keyfit 30 also (great for us since we already had that seat).

I will say the one downside for the Bumbleride for us was that the weight limit is lower than the BOB. But we figure by that point we might be needing a double stroller anyway...
I think the weight is an issue honestly only if you have an overweight child. Amelia is 2 and 27 pounds. I can't imagine cramming in a 70 lb TALL child in the BOB. As I said, I have never once seen a child even close to 70 lbs in a BOB...and I come from the land of BOB. Everyone has one down at the beach around here.

The 45lb vs 70lb is not really a factor, in my book. If I didn't get my BOB for 200 bucks, I probably would have considered the bumbleride. It's very cute and has more accessories (although I must say, I think the cupholder is a bit of a joke...but I paid the money for my BOB console, which I love). I'd be really interested to see how it pushes vs the BOB, but I think for most day to day use, it's going to be negligible. At the very least, it should be comparable to the BOB AW, which is also a great ride.

ETA Albeebaby has a few 2009 colors for 379.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks TG and others... the Bumble Indie might be a great solution for us. it is significantly smaller than the BOB for trunk, 5" is a fair amt of length diff and the width is a fair amt of diff too. price wise, i would get a 2009 since i don''t care so much about the 2010 improvements...and $360-380 is a great deal vs the $460 for 2010''s. i like the orange anyway.

i agree re: the weight limit also you are right re: the height of the child coming into play TG. a fair amt of the BOB reviews i saw said that their kids were too tall even at 2 or 3 years and their heads hit the top/back...so if our kid was tall but not heavy then we''d still run into a height restriction at some point anyway.

also i do not run so i would not need a running/jogging stroller. power or strenuous walks is all i do in the exercise area with a stroller.

oh and yes we got the A3...i forgot who asked me that but i measured it again today and the BOB would just barely fit, the length max in the trunk without hitting the side bumpers is 38" and the chart below has it at 37.6". but i love that the Bumble would fit with room to spare. and we wouldn''t have to lift the top canopy thing.

i don''t tend to carry drinks and all sorts of stuff with me when i walk, i usually have something with a pocket on anyway since i am used to going out for walks on my own, so i would put keys, ipod whatever in there. if i am going ''out'' i would just have diaper bag which has everything in it anyway plus a sweater for me and blanket for baby, so i would just need basket or something to carry the bag. and i don''t do a lot of shopping in general, i shop mostly online so i wouldn''t have a ton of packages.

the one thing i saw on the bumble is parents wish that it had a bigger sun canopy but i can always drape a A&A muslin wrap over it anyway for more sun coverage.

i am going to see if i can find a local shop that carries bumbles to try one...but not sure as i dont think i have seen it locally! i can think of one place that might have it...they have a ton of strollers.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Mara, the Bumbleride website has a dealer locator that may help you find one for a test drive. We tried ours (well, actually the 2009 version) at Buy Buy Baby.

And thanks for the discussion on the weight issue -- sounds like it won''t be too much of a problem.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 3:00:04 PM
thanks TG and others... the Bumble Indie might be a great solution for us. it is significantly smaller than the BOB for trunk, 5'' is a fair amt of length diff and the width is a fair amt of diff too. price wise, i would get a 2009 since i don''t care so much about the 2010 improvements...and $360-380 is a great deal vs the $460 for 2010''s. i like the orange anyway.

i agree re: the weight limit also you are right re: the height of the child coming into play TG. a fair amt of the BOB reviews i saw said that their kids were too tall even at 2 or 3 years and their heads hit the top/back...so if our kid was tall but not heavy then we''d still run into a height restriction at some point anyway.

also i do not run so i would not need a running/jogging stroller. power or strenuous walks is all i do in the exercise area with a stroller.

oh and yes we got the A3...i forgot who asked me that but i measured it again today and the BOB would just barely fit, the length max in the trunk without hitting the side bumpers is 38'' and the chart below has it at 37.6''. but i love that the Bumble would fit with room to spare. and we wouldn''t have to lift the top canopy thing.

i don''t tend to carry drinks and all sorts of stuff with me when i walk, i usually have something with a pocket on anyway since i am used to going out for walks on my own, so i would put keys, ipod whatever in there. if i am going ''out'' i would just have diaper bag which has everything in it anyway plus a sweater for me and blanket for baby, so i would just need basket or something to carry the bag. and i don''t do a lot of shopping in general, i shop mostly online so i wouldn''t have a ton of packages.

the one thing i saw on the bumble is parents wish that it had a bigger sun canopy but i can always drape a A&A muslin wrap over it anyway for more sun coverage.

i am going to see if i can find a local shop that carries bumbles to try one...but not sure as i dont think i have seen it locally! i can think of one place that might have it...they have a ton of strollers.
Having a child who is a giant at 2, I think I can say that''s user error.

The BOB''s canopy kind of bunches up when you push it back. If you don''t pull it up using the draw string, it seems like their heads hit the top of it. But Amelia is no where near the top of the stroller.

Still, I think the shorter length and much more easily accessible basket are really nice. I would get the orange while it was still available as long as they have a decent return policy. I''d be surprised if you were disappointed with it.

If you really wanted a bigger sun canopy, they have things like the rayshade, although it''s pretty pathetic if there''s wind. I used it for our maclaren under the hot Aussie sun.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
giddy giddy clips are on the mini social today: http://www.theminisocial.com/

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks lovin. i can't believe i live in a huge city (ok not HUGE but it's the 11th largest city in the US)... and we don't have anywhere in this city or neighboring cities that carries Bumbleride. i have to drive 30-40 min to Santa Cruz or San Mateo to see one. sooo that's what I'll be doing with my Mom on Friday. i hope i like it because then i can order it online ASAP. wish me luck...i'm SO over the stroller search!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results