shape
carat
color
clarity

Preferred side stone size for three stone ring

luvmypug

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my original diamond/solitaire setting to a three stone ring. My favorite setting is with a six prong center and two three prong sides.

My original stone will be recut to about 1.2 ct and I had planned to use it as a side stone for this project. I'm looking at purchasing a 2.2 ct center and another side stone (yet to be chosen) to match my original diamond. I'm now concerned that my side stones will look too large/disproportionate. Instead, I am wondering if I should have my original stone set into a pendant and purchase two side stones each around the .80 ct range. I will pair the new three stone ring with my .55 ct half eternity band. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is recurring your stone? I love three stone rings and currently have one in the making. My center stone is 2.13 and I am using 0.23ct side stones, but it took me a while to get to these proportions as I have always liked the 1:2:1 classic Tiffany ratio and tried many different combinations before I settled on a "look". There are so many different three stone ring variations. Have you tried some three stone rings just to see what you like on your hand? I do like the idea of using your original e-ring as a side stone, it is very sentimental, however, it will be more of a "wall of bling" vs a defined center stone with smaller side stones. This couple did something similar years ago: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...y-3-stone-bgd-crossed-trellis-upgrade.166482/

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 2.2 center stone with .33 each side stones. It really does all depend on the look you are going for. Personally, I like the idea of using your stone for a pendant and purchasing small side stones but you may prefer the look of the three stone ring posted above. If so, your recut stone may work just fine paired with another for your three stone ring. You can do a search and find lots of threads about three stone rings and size proportions.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
.8 - 1.2 - .8 ... Too small ?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope not! I have .42-1.21-.42

luvmypug

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of your replies so far! The link helped as I do think I prefer the "wall of bling" look - I just wasn't sure if this (1.2 - 2.2 - 1.2) was going to be too disproportionate and wanted others' opinions.

Also, I am looking for a 2ish ct center for this piece - not using my original diamond as the center. It's a 10 year anniversary upgrade, 3 years later... a cross country move and a third baby put this project on hold for a bit! :)

Please keep the comments coming! Thanks!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@luvmypug Can you please tell us who is recurring your existing stone?

Also, good to know which three stone style you like. Is there a Tiffany store in your area? You can go and try on a three stone ring with similar proportions in person just to see how it looks on your hand.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think I prefer the "wall of bling" look

Both 1.2 - 2.2 - 1.2 & .8 - 2.2 - .8 sound good to me & not starkly different.

I am wondering if the .8 sides leave room for another pair of snall diamonds ? (5-stone rings are a weakness...). In any case, the .8 -s plan would make more sense to me if you could upgrade the 1.2 into the 2.2.

Otherwise, why not pendant ! Future one of two studs? Or anything ! ...

Nice choices ,-)

luvmypug

Rough_Rock
My recut is being done by BGD. I've worked with them in the past and have been very pleased. Unfortunately my original diamond is not from there as it was purchased before we knew anything about pricescope and the importance of cut! I decided to have it recut vs trying to sell or trade it in as it does have sentimental value. Knowing what I know now, I would have done things differently!

Also, I prefer the look of a three stone over a five stone if that helps. Yssie's original three stone setting has been my inspiration for years!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go below a carat each for the side stones, personally. My diamond is 2.3 cts, 8.4mm and I was trying some smaller diamond pairs beside it (different cut so just trying for size) just to get an idea if I'd want a 3 stone ring. I love them but I am afraid it might be too much bling for me! I don't think I'd go any larger than the .61 sides, but the absolute max I'd recommend for this size center would be .80, 6mm. So yes, I'd use the recut diamond for a pendant.

Anyway, here is an 8.4mm center and the side sizes are in the pics so I'd remember what they were!

2017-06-29 17.57.39.jpg

2017-06-29 18.02.47.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 3 stone ring in the link above had 1.08 ct sides, which are about 6.6mm versus around 6.85 for a 1.2. So I still think 1.2 is too big for a 2.2 ct center.

A very important question is, what is your ring size?

luvmypug

Rough_Rock
These are very helpful, diamondseeker2006! Thank you!

My ring size is 6.25.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 6mm .80 sides would give you pretty full finger coverage. You might be able to do 1 ct on each side, but honestly, I still think I'd buy under a carat for each side (since you have a price jump at 1.0) and then have the pendant.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 stone ring proportions x1b.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go below a carat each for the side stones, personally. My diamond is 2.3 cts, 8.4mm and I was trying some smaller diamond pairs beside it (different cut so just trying for size) just to get an idea if I'd want a 3 stone ring. I love them but I am afraid it might be too much bling for me! I don't think I'd go any larger than the .61 sides, but the absolute max I'd recommend for this size center would be .80, 6mm. So yes, I'd use the recut diamond for a pendant.

Anyway, here is an 8.4mm center and the side sizes are in the pics so I'd remember what they were!

2017-06-29 17.57.39.jpg

2017-06-29 18.02.47.jpg

I find the larger the center stone the smaller I prefer the sides. Like the example here, the stone actually looks larger with smaller stones by comparison

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @luvmypug -

Interestingly, your proportions of 1.2 / 2.2 / 1.2 are EXACTLY the sizes I was considering. I ended up buying a 2.2 center and looked at 2 x 1.2ct sides, but it was just outside my budget at that time. However - I think those proportions are perfect.

Some people like sides as an accent. I am more of an old-style girl when it comes to 3 stone rings, where the sides were, most typically, between 55 and 60% - each - of the center stone. I like sides which look like they contribute to the general wattage of the ring and can hold their own against the center stone, rather than acting as accents.

I used to have a 3 stone where the sides were 56% of the center stone (.47/.83/.46) - and I thought the sides were ideal. I also have a favorite 3 stone on PS, and the proportions are the same, tho the stones are much bigger. I'll see if I can find you some photos.

But all that to say - I really think you're onto something. If you don't mind a lot of sparkle and an eye-catching piece, I think 1.2 / 2.2 / 1.2 is definitely the way to go.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_2445.JPG Here's mine. 1.75 center (7.9mm) with .63/.64 sides about 5.5mm I think). Ring is 4 3/4. Proportions should be pretty similar to your proposed 2.2/.8. Originally I had planned to reset my 1.75 with .84/.85 but is was too much for my hand.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @luvmypug -

Interestingly, your proportions of 1.2 / 2.2 / 1.2 are EXACTLY the sizes I was considering. I ended up buying a 2.2 center and looked at 2 x 1.2ct sides, but it was just outside my budget at that time. However - I think those proportions are perfect.

Some people like sides as an accent. I am more of an old-style girl when it comes to 3 stone rings, where the sides were, most typically, between 55 and 60% - each - of the center stone. I like sides which look like they contribute to the general wattage of the ring and can hold their own against the center stone, rather than acting as accents.

I used to have a 3 stone where the sides were 56% of the center stone (.47/.83/.46) - and I thought the sides were ideal. I also have a favorite 3 stone on PS, and the proportions are the same, tho the stones are much bigger. I'll see if I can find you some photos.

But all that to say - I really think you're onto something. If you don't mind a lot of sparkle and an eye-catching piece, I think 1.2 / 2.2 / 1.2 is definitely the way to go.

I agree. I am going to have a smaller center for a 3 stone ring, but I personally like the side stones to be close in size but smaller to the center.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here is ForteKitty's 3 stone - 1.57 center with .88 and .9 sides. The stones are OECs, so probably cut slightly deeper (ergo smaller diameter), but, by the same token, her finger size is a 3!

Forte Kitty's 3 stone_a.jpg

Here's my three stone - .46 / .83 / .47. My finger size here is a 7, and my problem with this ring is that it was far too small.

MB's 3 stone - .83 center.jpg

Here's RandG's three stone. It's a Tiffany, so is the traditional 1/2/1 ration - in this case, 1.25ct / 2.5ct ? 1.25ct. I'm not sure of her ring size, but I know it wasn't large. A 5, maybe?

3-stone 1_a.jpg

My only suggestion would be that you don't do a 3 prong setting on your outer stones. When the sides are small, there's a natural taper from the top of the center stone to the outer edge of the side stone that follows a basic line. If you do a three stone setting with smaller sides, the visual 'line' ends up at that spot (the outer single prong on the side stone) naturally. But if you do larger sides, then three prongs, the general proportions of the 3 stones won't lend themselves to a 3 prong setting. With larger stones, I think 4 prong settings make sense, with double prongs on the center stone.

Just some thoughts! :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with much of what everyone says really and @diamondseeker2006 & @mrs-b provided some great comparison pictures!
Again, people will have different preferences and you really need to see what you like on your hand best! I went with much smaller side stones because as @Niel said, I felt that they made my stone look larger, I also felt that it was a "younger" and "lighter" look. Nonetheless, I still drool over large 3 stone rings. My MIL has a three stone with the following proportions - 1ct side stones and 1.5ct center in a vintage halo setting! She has about your ring size and actually pulls off the look really well.

Here are some additional pics for consideration:

Tiffany 3 stone .8ct sides, 1.6ct center on a size 5.5
IMG_2415.JPG
Sides 0.7/Center 1.8
IMG_4695.JPG
Sides 0.6/center 1.8
IMG_4693.JPG

Sides 0.5/Center 1.8
IMG_4691.JPG
Sides .25/center 1.8
IMG_4768.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2415.JPG
    IMG_2415.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 102

luvmypug

Rough_Rock
Wow! Woke up to so many replies!! Thank you!!

mochiko42 - I'm loving that ratio!! Do you know who that ring belongs to?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Woke up to so many replies!! Thank you!!

mochiko42 - I'm loving that ratio!! Do you know who that ring belongs to?

That is hers I think! @mochiko42, I spy on your IG account :P2 I saw your inspiration ring!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh. I am loving all these examples of three stones! I do like Fortekittys 3 stone, with 1.57 center with .88 and .9 sides. It also helps they are set with a tiny bit of separation between the stones, at least the first pic gives that impression. In general I like proportions where the side stones are 50% or less of center stone. However looking at these pictures, different proportions also work depending on the setting style.

luvmypug

Rough_Rock
Siamese Kitty - that is beautiful!! Thank you all SO much for the pictures - they are really helping with my decision!

So, here are the stones I currently have on hold:

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/2.243-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104096091006 (8.44mm)

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/0.581-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104091064029 (5.38mm)

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/0.571-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104095241016 (5.33mm)

I will be placing the stones in a platinum setting similar to Whiteflash's Butterflies (with six prong center and three prong sides). My ring size is approx. a 6.25. I'll be pairing the three stone with a .55 ct Dream band (that I already own). I prefer to work with BGD as I have worked with them in the past.

Thoughts???

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. I had Brian recut my 2.25 to 2.02 ctw and set it in a 3-stone with 2 carat each sapphire side stones. I love the 1 - 2 - 1 ratio. There are pictures in my threads. If you want another one LMK and I'll snap one for you. I wear 4.25 size btw. Good luck!!!

luvmypug

Rough_Rock
IMG_7752.jpg IMG_8721.jpg
Mine is 8.45mm with 4.75ish mm on each side.
Sorry so large.:(

Do you have any more pictures or a link to this ring? The setting looks like the one I mentioned above.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!:) My setting IS actually the WF butterflies setting in Platinum/Ru. It showcases the stones beautifully and is actually very comfortable to wear. The band is not too thick/thin and it spins less than my solitaire did, maybe because of where the sides come up? IMG_7584.jpg

Do you have any more pictures or a link to this ring? The setting looks like the one I mentioned above.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results