shape
carat
color
clarity

Preference for CS-s to diamonds. Mind sharing why?

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
I thought it would be fun to start a thread for those of us who have a distinct preference for CS-s over diamonds as center stones and who would not mind sharing why.

What was the story/path/rationale that drew you to color as opposed to diamond?
Or just what your preference is based on, in general.

I do understand that many people love both diamonds and CS-s and own jewelry with both - but I am especially interested in those who formulated a clear preference for colored stones and may have chosen one over diamond for their main ring.

In my case - I love the sparkly little diamonds as helping stones, but when it comes to the center I clearly prefer colored.
The following factors contributed for me:

- They seem to look better on more brunette individuals - dark hair, dark eyes - especially the richly colored ones.
- You get more pop/visibility out of a CS than a diamond (except when under good lighting and then the diamond takes over with the sparkle - provided it is well cut, of course).
- They CAN be more affordable (but not necessarily, especially if we talk sapphire or ruby)
- They have a classic, historical aura.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find CS way more interesting and unique than diamonds, especially MRBs (I do love old cuts though). With CS rings, you’re highly unlikely to ever run into someone else with the same ring! I’ve always loved colour, I used to draw rainbows all the time as a kid. I live somewhere with a lot of grey weather, a punch of colour can brighten up a day!

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
I agree with NKOTB, even when I was a kid I always felt like all diamond engagement rings always looked so boring and similar (obviously not the case in real life, but still...) so I always knew I wanted something colorful. My entire kitchen doesn’t have a single matching plate/bowl - they’re all differently colored pieces I’ve picked up over the years. I have a whole shelf in the kitchen of mismatching glass drinking utensils (cups, goblets, shotglasses, martini glasses, etc) all carefully arranged to make a rainbow. And don’t get me started on all my dresses...:lol-2:

So when we started talking seriously about engagement rings I was trying to decide between a purple sapphire, pink spinel, or ruby, and went for the sapphire. No regrets. I love how it goes from magenta with flashes of bright red to a blue-gray purple in the evenings, and the most luscious grape purple in the sunlight as I’m driving home from work. And I love all the compliments I get on how different it is!

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So my recent search started when i lost my original wedding set. It was a princess cut with baguette side stones and mil-grain channel set bands. I decided when i had to purchase a new set that I actually found diamond rings really all looked basically the same to me, especially ones with in my budget.

Also emotionally, if i got another diamond i would always look at it and know it wasn't my diamond, or my ring. I'm not a fan of round shapes on my finger so it was like i could purchase a different shaped diamond and be happy.

Also, i love colored stones, i love green and blue and red and purple and yellow. pretty much all the colors, so i wanted a colored stone that was uncommon, and the color really spoke to me, then i found a stone that i loved, and a setting that made it really pop, and when the jeweler went to set it, he broke the original stone i picked and replaced it with a more expensive sapphire but not the one i picked.

That lead to a long drawn out back and forth thing between me and the jeweler, and then i found price scope, and finally the jeweler found me a stone i did like, and after being on price scope understood more what i was getting and felt confident in picking it. I love the new e-ring, dont love the jeweler and now love colored stones and just generally nicer jewelry.
Sorry for any run on sentences, i'm tying with a 10 month old on my lap :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
- I like variety. I change my jewelry daily to match my outfit and mood.
- My love for colored stones increased as I learned about different types of stones, origins, their history, etc...the more I learned at PS, the more addicted I became. And its fun sharing info when someone comments on my tsav and learn is a garnet or asks about the glow in my paraiba or asks what kind of ruby my mahenge spinel is, etc..
- Value. I hate knowing that typical diamond prices are artificially inflated by holding back inventory (and I can't afford a truly rare diamond)

Don't get me wrong- I wouldn't mind a really nice diamond but I just can't see spending the money it would cost.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for me it's just the idea that you have something unique and out of the ordinary. I have a one carat princess cut that I don't wear because I'd rather wear my pink sapphire Art Deco wedding set. Guaranteed nobody else has it so there is the unique factor.

Also, it's just fun to look down and see color, seeing that pink on my finger brings immense happiness. Flaws are also more accepted IMO in CS than in diamonds, that's true to life, everyone has flaws but if we love them we learn to embrace those flaws, I love that aspect.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like diamonds, mostly as accent stones to colored gems:mrgreen2: While true I do have diamond earrings, Its the only place I wear such large diamonds (they're not huge by any means however!) I would not want a big diamond on my hand (wait, let me not lie, I would if I didn't have to pay for it...:lol-2:)

I just really love color gems. always have. They come in every combination of color, multiple hues of the rainbow. They're generally more rare. Its hard to find colored stones that look just like another. Even with matched pairs you can spot nuanced differences.

and the science behind colored stones...whew! its awesome.

Being here makes me appreciate diamonds, and I drift to that side sometimes because its a different animal and fun to read about and even more so to check some of the super ideals. I will be honest with myself and say that absolutely I love the look of CBI stones a hell of a lot! When I upgrade my studs and if its within budget, thats where I will go.

I can see color in diamonds lower than E-F, but I don't actually MIND it. I like knowing I CAN see the color and can actually appreciate it. I don't prefer icy white actually because when paired with a colored stone, near colorless tends to look white anyway:lol-2:

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your views - this is so much fun to read!

I can relate to pretty much all of them - including the "uniqueness/rarity" argument which I forgot to mention. Although when we got married I thought I wanted a diamond - after I stepped away from the whole process for a good while, I realized that as long as you stay within a certain budget (which most people must), a diamond ring can look indeed too common.

My favorite colors are navy and berry/plum; so going forward, I plan to have two (serious/gem) rings: 1) a statement, heftier one with a large berry umbelite (around 4.5 cts) - on its way to replace the yellow beryl in my original e-ring.

A ring with a smaller sapphire (but that's only because I can't afford it in the 4-5 carats range :mrgreen2:) which I will have custom made when I find the perfect stone (currently searching).

I have a few more rings in silver and plain gold - but that will be it.

In terms of uniqueness, however, I think sapphires are probably the most common after the diamond...and many seem to end up with the "Diana/Kate" fate anyway - which is anything BUT uncommon/unique at this point.
If my stone will come in an oval shape, which I do like for its elongating effect, I just hope to find a way around it.

I also agree about value.
While I understand nothing compares to the diamond's hardness and sparkle power - they do seem to be so expensive compared to colored stones. By the time you add their common-ness and low visibility in low light, you almost feel like you're not getting your money's worth.

But I think for me my own "brunette" coloring was the driving factor.
A diamond seems lost on me - especially when smaller than ...well... A LOT. :mrgreen2:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Focusing on the colour of the stone as opposed to the size of the stone, when it comes to diamonds, has made owning a couple sapphires in rings immensely satisfying for me.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Focusing on the colour of the stone as opposed to the size of the stone, when it comes to diamonds, has made owning a couple sapphires in rings immensely satisfying for me.

I wish I could do that.

I am kind of having a hard time on this one because I focus both on color and on size. :whistle:
I told myself I could be fine with a small sapphire as long as it is a gorgeous pop of blue - but then sapphires are so dense and that pop of blue ends of being too small for me when staying conservative with the size.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
There is a strange paradox working for me with this. I have a .68 ct diamond set in a classy Mark Morrell ring. I love the package, it's dainty and just me. There's something weirdly modest in my nature, where wearing a big diamond is not me, but then there's this " a bigger diamond would mean more sparkle" thing that goes on in my head when I actually focus on my diamond. I think it can become a form of anxiety, that works against you enjoying your diamond so I try to put my focus on how much I love the package (MM with a Tiffany diamond channel set band) and oh boy I do.

I have no such qualms about a larger stone in a coloured stone. My two blue sapphire rings are both ovals (one belonged to my mother) with diamond accents. They are both considerably larger than any diamond I own. I adore both their size and their respective colours.

By the way your reflections on the Diana/Kate sapphire ring, in the other thread, were the most interesting I've ever read on this iconic piece of jewelry.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both so I will answer in terms of what made me stop on the diamonds and move to coloured stones instead.

I like the variety in colour and the fact that there is a budget to suit almost everyone if you want a pretty coloured stone and don't have huge sums of money to shell out. Plus diamond melee do a wonderful job of pushing the sparkle and adding pizzaz to a coloured stone.

Whilst my yellow diamond ring is magnificent and nothing can truly beat it's sparkle, I just do not have the funds (and never will in this lifetime) to buy a green diamond, pink diamond, red diamond, teal/peacock diamond (you get the idea).

I wear all sorts of colourful dresses and I enjoy being able to pick rings to compliment or match with my dresses.

That said some days I am running late and have about 30 seconds to grab stuff and put it on without thinking. That's when diamonds are the most useful. Full of sparkles and go with any outfit. No need to think!

I actually thought of pursuing a coloured stone bangle (love my bangles) but it seemed like such an arduous task so decided on diamonds with rose gold for a pop of colour.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had an unlimited budget, I would get a whole collection of fancy colored diamonds, but alas, I do not. Colored gems are a more affordable alternative because I love colored diamonds. White diamonds, while beautiful, are just not my thing. I love color!!!!

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
That said some days I am running late and have about 30 seconds to grab stuff and put it on without thinking. That's when diamonds are the most useful. Full of sparkles and go with any outfit. No need to think!

So true - there's nothing like white - it goes with everything!

That being said, I found navy to be a wonderful neutral too.
If it works as neutral in clothes, it works in stones too.
A sapphire that's a little more towards navy/a deeper color can really go with anything too - without much thought.

If it is too cornflower blue, it may not - depending on what colors in clothes the wearer prefers.

Notice Kate Middleton - she never takes off that ring and she wears it with every color under the sun. And if this woman doesn't change colors in clothes, I don't know who does. :)

The only place where I think I can only handle diamonds is the earrings.
Any colored gemstone gets lost on the background of my dark brown hair that somehow can never stay tucked behind the ears; always comes forward, almost completely covering the earring.

But that takes me to my sob story - my lost heirlooms.
When and how, if ever, will I be able to replace those early 1900's earrings that were stolen from my house...only Lord knows.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think precision cut changed the game. Before, diamonds were the only stones that were well-cut, but today, colored stones that are precision cut look irresistible. Although I love colored diamonds and diamond settings.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I love lighter blue sapphires. Diana's ring was always too dark to my eyes. Its big yes, but so dark! dosen't show the beauty of the blue IMO.

But of course she was a Princess. Kate is also a princess (for all intents and purposes) so of course, there are going to be many women that want to ring of a princess.

Meh, I'm a queen dammit:mrgreen2:

unsetsapphire.jpg

this is my blue. I LUV this color as in some lights it can be more blue, in others a dash of violet. I personally would not want to go too much darker than this.

And then there's the one below which IMO is a whole other animal. Now frankly I would not turn this down if I got it as a gift....just sayin:lol: and the photo from my phone does the stone little justice, its pretty damn gorgeous.

20170602_143927[1].jpg

But I also think that there's a lot of people who have no idea that sapphire comes in every color of the rainbow.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Personally I love lighter blue sapphires. Diana's ring was always too dark to my eyes. Its big yes, but so dark! dosen't show the beauty of the blue IMO.

But of course she was a Princess. Kate is also a princess (for all intents and purposes) so of course, there are going to be many women that want to ring of a princess.

Meh, I'm a queen dammit:mrgreen2:

unsetsapphire.jpg

this is my blue. I LUV this color as in some lights it can be more blue, in others a dash of violet. I personally would not want to go too much darker than this.

And then there's the one below which IMO is a whole other animal. Now frankly I would not turn this down if I got it as a gift....just sayin:lol: and the photo from my phone does the stone little justice, its pretty damn gorgeous.

20170602_143927[1].jpg

But I also think that there's a lot of people who have no idea that sapphire comes in every color of the rainbow.

Arcadian,

Your sapphire is a beautiful color! I could make even something that colory-vibrant NOT clash with what I wear, because I typically have a very limited range of colors in my clothes on purpose - to have everything go with everything. I do the "capsule wardrobe" approach.
And this lovely blue would go with everything I wear, even if it's not a classic neutral navy.

But I can see how something like this could clash with bright yellows and reds...it becomes a "Fun with Flags" party. :mrgreen2:

As for the one below...that's "Good Grievance!".

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My love of colored gems came from PS. I didn't know anything about the world of colored gems and I'd never met anyone with a CS ring that's not a cheap (usually lab made) one from a chain store. Hanging around here is so fun but also so dangerous to my wallet.

Once I realized there was a whole word of color out there, I've never looked back. I already had a love for color in my wardrobe and paint choices but now I get to see them on my finger too. I change up my CS rings every day and I never get tired of looking at them. I love diamonds but I will admit, I'm perfectly happy with the sparkle of a diamond halo surrounding one of my beloved CS gems. :kiss2:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like diamonds and i wouldn't discount them from other pieces of jewellery in future. I had a diamond solitaire for my first engagement ring so I wanted something different for my second.
DF/FI (whichever initials) originally made suggestions about an emerald cut but something drew me to CS. We looked at sapphires and rubies. I would've loved a purple sapphire, but my antique ring appeared at the right time.
I don't know if I'd have a diamond ring as well because to me diamond ring = engagement :confused: But that would be a shame...
I'd like to collect different colour stones though, maybe for anniversaries :mrgreen2: I have told DF about this.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always liked CS, especially blue-red rubies.

My first e-ring was an all-diamond ring (a 3-stone EC).

My second and third rings from my late partner are both heart-shaped rubies. The larger one is set in a halo that I find too blingy to wear on a daily basis, so I had another ring made with a smaller stone and set it in a 3-stone ring for daily wear.

Nowadays, I wear one of my EC diamond ring on my right hand, the larger one for dressier occasions and the smaller one for daily wear; and wear a CS or pearl ring on my left hand.

It is highly unlikely I would have another e-ring, however, if I do, I would like a pink/red round stone in a diamond cluster.

I love CS (and pearls) as I love colours in life, and particularly pink/red (rubies, spinels, garnets), medium blue (sapphires) green (Tsavorites, blue-green tourmalines, emeralds), neon (EB Topaz, zircon) and pale blues ones (Aquamarines), and purple (Amethysts, my birthstone).

DK :))

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sapphiredream you and I could shop together beautifully because we would not buy the same things! I love bright colours! And pastels!

@dk168 any chance you can post a pic of your heart shaped rubies? I have one too! In a halo! I LOVE IT! I ADORE heart shaped stones! My dream is to one day find a heart shaped green stone!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian,

Your sapphire is a beautiful color! I could make even something that colory-vibrant NOT clash with what I wear, because I typically have a very limited range of colors in my clothes on purpose - to have everything go with everything. I do the "capsule wardrobe" approach.
And this lovely blue would go with everything I wear, even if it's not a classic neutral navy.

But I can see how something like this could clash with bright yellows and reds...it becomes a "Fun with Flags" party. :mrgreen2:

As for the one below...that's "Good Grievance!".

HA!

I get around it by being very boring in the wardrobe area... mainly black, white, grey and griege, but I hate clothes shopping so I buy a pieces that can do double/triple duty. I do however paint my nails, and in my world, anything goes.:mrgreen2::lol-2:

But many of us have slowed down over the years. I have so many stones at this point that I need to SET SOMETHING. Its a little embarassing how many loose I have.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For me, the big surprise was garnets....makes me wish I was boring in January ...I love the look on people's faces when they comment on one of my garnet rings and I tell them it's a garnet :eek2:

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@dk168 any chance you can post a pic of your heart shaped rubies? I have one too! In a halo! I LOVE IT! I ADORE heart shaped stones! My dream is to one day find a heart shaped green stone![/QUOTE]

@mellowyellowgirl For your viewing pleasure.:appl:

j2w_ts12685aa.jpg

Please note that price and description for 1 pce and you can only buy 1 piece.

Our price: USD 1123.20
Usually ships within 24 hours

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, the big surprise was garnets....makes me wish I was boring in January ...I love the look on people's faces when they comment on one of my garnet rings and I tell them it's a garnet :eek2:

I know! :mrgreen2: couple of years ago I wanted to do a garnet eternity with different color garnets. Lord knows I got the figner space:shock::lol: The hardest part has been finding garnets of the same itty bitty shape and size.

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock
I love and own both diamonds and coloured stone jewellery yet very rarely wear any jewellery at all apart from a watch. However, because I'm so pale, the best coloured stones for me are on the yellow/orange scale; I don't look good in pale blue but green looks great on me although I'm not a green fan. The only diamond ring style I don't like are round solitaires - soooo boring to me (not trying to offend anyone!) Of all the designs you could wear, why have a white round solitaire? Anyhoo, that is a style where I much prefer a coloured stone, other than that I'll take either diamond or coloured stones and love them equally. My dream and next project however will be a 5 stone diamond ring.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock

Color is my #1 too. It pops.

With all the money I would be putting in a diamond, I would feel like I am not getting my money's with in most lights other than "crazy bright". White doesn't pop. :geek2:

Do you mind me asking if you work directly with Jeff Davies?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't qualify to reply because despite owning a number of coloured stones, I also love diamonds! For me however, the draw is colour - for nature to produce such wonderful colours is amazing.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
I don't qualify to reply because despite owning a number of coloured stones, I also love diamonds! For me however, the draw is colour - for nature to produce such wonderful colours is amazing.

Oh, I LOVE diamonds too - for their amazing sparkle capacity; but I like them mainly as garnish/side stones. I feel like they cost too much as center stones and they are too...white/non-poppy for such a job.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results