shape
carat
color
clarity

prefer "native", non-ideal, antique cuts or cabs?

frettybride

Rough_Rock
I know that in the PS community there's a huge preference for super-ideal precision cut gems (which are super sparkly and amazing!!!!), but is there anyone else out there that likes the non-ideal cut gems? I found that I tend to gravitate towards the clunky, chunky cut gems...either "native cuts" (which usually doesn't actually mean "native", just not precision), or emerald cuts with big facets but less sparkle, or (gasp) gems with windows, or sugar loafs and cabochons (which I guess is the definition of "non-ideal" cut). Am I just really weird? Maybe funny shaped things just speak to me...

Also....if you have pics of such gems that you own, please post! Maybe you have some non-ideal gems hiding in your jewelry box that you were afraid to post on PS yet...Keep me amused while I wait for new e-ring to arrive!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This section of PS might be evenly divided between precision cutting and very good non-precision cutting. I, too, drool over chunky antique inspired designs, rounded and sugarloaf cabochons. Alas, I have not purchased any such stones although I'd love too if I can ever find one with the colour that I want.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I like 'traditional' faceting - this can be precision-cut, it just means that the cut is there to show off the colour of the stone to it's best and not the other way round.

I can admire fancy cuts but they don't float my boat when it comes to gemstones. Artists such as John Dyer produce incredible looking stones - but the reason you will pay several thousand dollars for one of his amethysts is because of his extraordinary cutting not because it is an extraordinary amethyst if that makes sense.

I'm not a particular fan of wonky cuts as it tends to impare the performance of the material. To use diamond terms, I love OECs but I only like the really well-cut ones, just because a stone has an open culet, high crown and a small table doesn't mean that I'm going to go all weak at the knees, it still needs to have symmetry and be cut to refract light as well as possible.

Cabs - adore them but finding a facet-grade cab is really hard... :blackeye:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Pandora said my feelings just right. Except I do like sugarloafs & cabs if the color & saturation grab me.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora pretty much said it for me. its all about the color.

too bad gem quality rough always gets cut into facets........but then i can't blame them for wanting to maximize their profits.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned to look for color. After all, if the cut is very bad, but very saturated, sometimes it can be slightly recut. I did it with one stone, and the result was good. As to cabs, I like them if they are opaque. If they are semi-transparent, it is better if inclusions do not run across the center.

liliangrae

Rough_Rock
Mmm sugarloafs and cabs. I love them. My mother has a beautiful "vintage" Jade ring from her mother and it is the most stunning ring I have ever seen. It is gorgeous,set high with detailed filigree along the side of stone. I wish I had a picture. No you are certainly not the only one who LOVES some sugarloafs and cabs!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The majority of coloured gemstones on the market are NOT precision cut. If you search on this part of the forum you'll find tons and tons of photos. I only own a small handful of precision cut and the vast majority of my collection are good/bad/ugly cuts!!!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Any stone, whether "native" or precision should never have a window. Well, small windows that close up in settings or are not that noticeable are okay but big Bay windows.... :nono: :nono: :nono:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
A precision or other well-cut stone is good with me as long as there's no window, and the color is fantastic. I actually think that chunky non-precision cuts are really beautiful.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
The men used to talk about it in the old country.....
I always thought they were tall tales or just smoke and mirrors.....
They would say "When dost thou bay window commeth upon thee seek thee refuge amongst thy precision cuts"
I never thought I would actually see one.
From that day forth my mind, nor eyes, have ever been the same.

kunzite-bad-cut[1].jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
dum..dum...duu..dum..dum..du..
[scream].."not the bay window..it won't die..it won't die...ahhhhh"[scream]

Michael07gem.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
good lord will it ever end...they never stop..they keep coming and coming
not more Bay Windows...ahhhhhh...
[sorry being silly this evening :wacko: ]

images[4].jpg

collier

Shiny_Rock
you are not alone

I prefer antique cuts, cabs, sugarloafs, etc. My e ring is an off asscher that pools beautifully next to two oblong cushion cut sapphs. I luvre it. I have a transitional round cut that I swear is more sparkly than my sisters massive and totally prefect rb.

I saw this beautiful diamond necklace of briolette drops...
oh was that drool, probably

For me, I love the color. If the color is right, the stone sings to me. Lalalalala lalalalala Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results