shape
carat
color
clarity

Precision of custom ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hfollett

Rough_Rock
How precision should I expect a custom made ring to be? The one I just had made has three channel set diamonds (the channels are vertical vs. the typically seen horizontal channels). The diamons are not set perfectly within the channels. Should I expect some variance because it is custom?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 2/16/2004 8:55:49 AM hfollett wrote:

How precision should I expect a custom made ring to be? The one I just had made has three channel set diamonds (the channels are vertical vs. the typically seen horizontal channels). The diamons are not set perfectly within the channels. Should I expect some variance because it is custom?----------------

With custom work I would not compromise on any craftsmanship. If you had the piece custom made I would not hesitate to voice your concerns to the jeweler. Custom pieces require a high level of communication between the client and the jeweler involved. If you feel you did a good job communicating and the piece did not receive the attention you think it deserved I would go back and have the piece made to your specifications. Keep in mind there are individuals in the trade that have more experience than others working in different mediums of jewelry fabrication. Hopefuilly you did a little research and leg work finding out about who you are working with...
wavey.gif
21.gif

hfollett

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input! I took it back to the jeweler today and was very pleased with his reaction. He agree with all of my points and even found an issue that I hadn't noticed. The good news is that he's going to make a new wax and rebuild the ring - the bad news is I have to wait 4 more weeks until it's completed.

I guess that's the price I have to pay for perfection!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results