shape
carat
color
clarity

Precise White Gold or Palladium for men's wedding band?

lasposa

Rough_Rock
Please help!

My DH's wedding band is an ornate, hand made band, that due to the style cannot be resized. DH has lost a lot of weight since our wedding 4 years ago (which we are both very excited about :) ), but now his ring is uncomfortably loose. I would like to get him a second simple ring for our upcomming anniversary that he can wear at work so he will be more comfortable and then the other ring will be his "dress up" ring. He use his hands a lot... likes to garden and do yard work, has a hands-on job, etc. so I need a ring that will be durable. He prefers a white metal. I also know he will not be the type to want to maintain his ring with polishing/replating.

With the research I've done, I've narrowed the metal choice down to either 14k Cobb's Precise White Gold or Palladium. Both are white metals that don't require rodium plating. Palladium is cheaper and I know acts more like platinum. Platinum is out, since it is too expensive. I'm a little worried about the palladium metal since less is known about how it wears over time. Do any of you own either metal and would you recommend them? Would one be stronger (less likely to dent?).

Thanks!

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
"Cannot be sized" shows a lack of imagination on behalf of your jeweller.
Bands can be made smaller by adding an insert in the ring...a full-ring, thin, that decreases the interior diameter enough to make for a good fit. It can be any material...silver, palladium, white gold, yellow gold, and doesn't even need to be permanently bonded to the host ring. They get flanged into place and stretched into position for a tight, positive fit. Typicalyl, the cost would be around $200.00, and your hubby gets to wear his original wedding band instead of a replacement.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a durable extra ring, I strongly suggest Tungsten. It is the most durable metal for rings. It is highly scratch and dent resistant. My son-in-law chose it for his wedding band. Best part is that they are not expensive! There are cheaper ones out there, but he decided on this brand because of their lifetime exchange policy if your ring size changes, etc. Plus they have good info on the site explaining about tungsten.

http://www.tungstenworld.com/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would still recommend that something like a tungsten band be used when working in the yard, etc. so that he doesn't ruin his original wedding band. I am thinking of getting a 4mm plain tungsten band for myself for times I don't want to wear my wedding set.

DoctorD

Rough_Rock
Just wondering what you decided. If you got the insert, how well has it worked for you?

Did you buy a second, stronger band as well?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results