shape
carat
color
clarity

Pre-Set Ring Is Beckoning Me

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LadyDiDi

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking on these forums for quite a while now and really appreciate all that you all have to offer. My FF and I are finally ready to make the big purchase and I was hoping for some opinions from you all.

Two years ago we found a ring that I fell in love with but he just wasn''t ready to make the purchase. Since then we have "visited" the setting on a regular basis and I hadn''t waivered from this one. A few weeks ago he decided that it was time so we visited the setting one more time and then started shopping for a cushion cut stone.

In the process of shopping for a stone, a local jeweler pulled out a custom set cushion cut ring that I think is the most beautiful ring I have ever seen. It was out of our price range but I think that with some dealing and a little padding to our budget it can be within reach.

Now here is my dilemma....I always thought that the way to go was to purchase the setting and the ring separately. So here is this ring that is calling my name that is all ready to go. The stone has a GIA cert and is in a custom platinum setting. What are you opinions on buying a pre-set ring?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hello Lady DiDi and Welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is exciting news!

I don''t know much about buying a pre-set ring, but I would think you need to go through the same thought process as buying the stone and the setting separately. Consider the cut of the stone and its general quality. Consider what might be lurking under the prongs. Is it what you would feel comfortable buying loose?

If you like the stone, then think about the setting. Does it look well-made? Symmetrical with all surfaces polished? No dinks or divots? If there are other sidestones, what is the quality of the stones and the setting? Are they secure and straight?

I would also want to know if the ring is new or pre-owned. How old is the cert?

Take your time with this and don''t get sucked into buying something quickly. Good luck!

LadyDiDi

Rough_Rock

Thank you for your response. I have answered a lot of these questions already but I wanted to get past the pre-set part first. There are a few things that do concern me slightly about the stone but it has just overwhelmed me with its overall beauty that I am starstruck!

I have been to see this ring three times in the past week. To my untrained eye the workmanship is immaculate. The stone is over 4 C so I would imagine that the setting had to be made just for the stone. The GIA cert is less than a year old and the ring is new. I was able to go on the GIA site and pull up the cert and it checks out. The jeweler said that he purchased it at a show in Vegas. No dings, no divots, symmetrical and beautiful. The jeweler is reputable and his business has been in his family for over 50 years.

There are two things that concern me. First is the color - it is a K. It faces up much whiter than that though. It is an elongated, very spready cushion set in platinum and is surrounded by a halo with a pave band and pave undercarriage. There are about 150 (G-H) stones and they look very clean and bright. The other thing that concerns me is the spread, while it makes this stone face up to look like a much larger stone, I am wondering if it is too thin. The light is brilliant so that doesn’t concern me and from what I have read on here the depth of a cushion cut isn’t as much of a concern as it could be with a RB.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen the ring out of jewelry store lighting? With a K and a shallow stone, I would really want to see how it looks in less flattering lighting. I would see if the pave matched the cushion and determine how much sparkle and brilliance the diamond had, which can be minimized with a poor cut.

LadyDiDi

Rough_Rock
On one of my three trips yes, I did have the chance to take it for a walk outside. It certainly wasn''t as brilliant as it was inside under the lights, but it had a muted brilliance. I was not disappointed. It did not look yellow at all.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 9:57:12 PM
Author:LadyDiDi
I think is the most beautiful ring I have ever seen.

What are you opinions on buying a pre-set ring?
these are the ONLY two sentances in your post that are important.

The first answers the second.

Numbers be damned - the eyes have it!!

LadyDiDi

Rough_Rock
My eyes are overwhelmed. This ring made me forget two years of drooling over one particular setting in a matter of seconds. The color isn''t a big concern for me. It just looks warm if anything. II have no concern about the clarity, there is only a pin sized black spot that you have to know is there to really see. I am just worried about the spread. Is there a point where it becomes too thin?

Here is some of the info off the GIA report:

Cushion Brilliant
Measurements: 12.46 x 8.39 x 4.42 mm
Carat Weight: 4.01
Color Grade: K
Clarity Grade: SI2
Proportions:
Depth: 52.7 %
Table: 56 %
Girdle: Thin to Extremely Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: None

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2007 12:13:34 AM
Author: LadyDiDi
My eyes are overwhelmed. This ring made me forget two years of drooling over one particular setting in a matter of seconds. The color isn''t a big concern for me. It just looks warm if anything. II have no concern about the clarity, there is only a pin sized black spot that you have to know is there to really see. I am just worried about the spread. Is there a point where it becomes too thin?

Here is some of the info off the GIA report:

Cushion Brilliant
Measurements: 12.46 x 8.39 x 4.42 mm
Carat Weight: 4.01
Color Grade: K
Clarity Grade: SI2
Proportions:
Depth: 52.7 %
Table: 56 %
Girdle: Thin to Extremely Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Good
Fluorescence: None
wow, youre right that is a very shallow stone.... the table is 56 though so that helps but.... and the ratio is 1.49:1 which is very long for a cushion.... but still it is a matter of taste. I imagine that with the K, the SI2, and the shallow, unusual shape it is a very good deal per carat, around 20-24k? plus the setting? Hmmm..... well.... just based on numbers I''d say this one was a pass - 53% depth is very shallow, that girdle is widely varied.... no culet huh? just good for pol/sym..... however.... these numbers don''t matter if you LOVE it. If you LOVE it then who cares? I bought a funky duck cushion myself and sometimes you just have to toss all the numbers aside and lay your claim! I''d love to see a pic of this!! How squared are the corners? does it look really oval? I''m so curious!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
my pear is shallow and spready- don't worry about it. it's a stunner in all lighting conditions.

does this ring give you joy? would it make you proud? go get your ring hunney.
edited: post a pic?

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
Go for it! Numbers are nice, but it''s not numbers you''ll be wearing every day for umpteen years.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Ask the jeweler if you can look at it in different lighting conditions, like outside.

And maybe MMM will see this thread, she is a cushion expert
2.gif
3.gif

LadyDiDi

Rough_Rock
I really do appreciate the comments and the information. I have never done this before and even after studying all of the educational information on this site, it can still be quite confusing.

Cehrabehra - the price is a little higher than what you are guessing (20-24K plus setting), he is at 35K for everything, but I am not sure what value to place on the setting. Are custom settings more $$ than a ready made setting? Regardless, we had already decided that he needs to come down more or no deal.

I took a friend to see the ring who loves and knows a bit about diamonds and she really loved it. She felt that the person who set this stone really knew what they were doing and set it in the best way possible to bring out the beauty of the stone. She felt the workmanship was second to none.

The one thing that really tips the scales on this for us (besides how much I love this ring) is the perceived value that my wonderful guy sees in this stone and setting. He is one of those who really just can''t understand why anyone would want to spend that kind of money on a piece of "glass". He just doesn''t get it! So up until this point nothing really knocked his socks off. He would just kind of stand there and shake his head while I looked and tried settings and rings on. When I tried this one on, he got down on my level and REALLY looked at it and said that he actually liked this one, and because of it''s size and sparkle, he could see a perceived value. This one, he could almost justify the purchase.
28.gif

I have a cell phone pic that is just not post-worthy. I will work on getting some pics to post this week!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2007 4:35:53 PM
I really do appreciate the comments and the information. I have never done this before and even after studying all of the educational information on this site, it can still be quite confusing.

Cehrabehra - the price is a little higher than what you are guessing (20-24K plus setting), he is at 35K for everything, but I am not sure what value to place on the setting. Are custom settings more $$ than a ready made setting? Regardless, we had already decided that he needs to come down more or no deal.

I took a friend to see the ring who loves and knows a bit about diamonds and she really loved it. She felt that the person who set this stone really knew what they were doing and set it in the best way possible to bring out the beauty of the stone. She felt the workmanship was second to none.

The one thing that really tips the scales on this for us (besides how much I love this ring) is the perceived value that my wonderful guy sees in this stone and setting. He is one of those who really just can''t understand why anyone would want to spend that kind of money on a piece of ''glass''. He just doesn''t get it! So up until this point nothing really knocked his socks off. He would just kind of stand there and shake his head while I looked and tried settings and rings on. When I tried this one on, he got down on my level and REALLY looked at it and said that he actually liked this one, and because of it''s size and sparkle, he could see a perceived value. This one, he could almost justify the purchase.
28.gif

I have a cell phone pic that is just not post-worthy. I will work on getting some pics to post this week!
that price seems a bit high to me... but in the end if you love it and it is worth it to you - who cares, right?? Post it even if it isn''t worthy.... seriously!! I"m a cushionaholic!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
for 35k this is what I would get :D http://
www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00434954&filter_id=0

Carat weight: 4.02
Cut: Very Good
Color: J
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 68.8%
Table %: 53%
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Thick to extremely thick
Culet: Medium
Fluorescence: Medium blue
Measurements: 9.86 x 8.88 x 6.11 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.11

It wont have the proportions yours does - yours faces up HUGE because it is so shallow.... but for me I would want a much deeper stone that played with its crown a lot and this puppy has a huge crown with over 40* crown angle and a 53% table.... this stone is very well proportioned on paper, I''d excuse the good sym in favor of the med blue!! woo!

This said, I have not seen your stone and it mght be totally lovely....

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2007 5:51:38 PM
Author: canuk-gal
http://4.09 K SI2 68.3% 72% GIA m - vtk gd vg 9.32-8.78x6.00 $5464 $22347*

Here is a K S12 cushion with quite different dimensions than the one under your consideration...offered for a price point comparison

cheers--Sharon
sharon this link didn''t work - did you get it from the search above? I should do one of those... blue nile only has cushions that in theory go up to 1.40:1 but the highest I found was around 1.2something:1 and this one she''s looking at is 1.49:1. The stone she''s looking at faces up HUGE at over 12x8 I''m curious about it.... I wonder what diagem would say....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/14/2007 6:04:45 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Here is a K S12 cushion with quite different dimensions than the one under your consideration...offered for a price point comparison

cheers--Sharon
sharon this link didn''t work - did you get it from the search above? I should do one of those... blue nile only has cushions that in theory go up to 1.40:1 but the highest I found was around 1.2something:1 and this one she''s looking at is 1.49:1. The stone she''s looking at faces up HUGE at over 12x8 I''m curious about it.... I wonder what diagem would say....
Miss C:

Sorry. Yes, I used the PS database for search, and acknowledge the great difference in dimension (apples/orange perhaps?), at least, however, the color/clarity, lab cert. and carat weight (close) are some variables that are common.

I also wanted to check Dave Atlas'' cut charts, but no fancy shape-cushion was listed. Considered the same as oval? Did I miss it?

cheers--Sharon

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2007 6:25:37 PM

cheers--Sharon
Miss C:

Sorry. Yes, I used the PS database for search, and acknowledge the great difference in dimension (apples/orange perhaps?), at least, however, the color/clarity, lab cert. and carat weight (close) are some variables that are common.

I also wanted to check Dave Atlas'' cut charts, but no fancy shape-cushion was listed. Considered the same as oval? Did I miss it?

cheers--Sharon
no..... I''ve heard rumors of a cut chart for cushions that he has but he has said he keeps it secret for idunnowhy.... I think because it could be used incorrectly very easily since there are so many variables. This stone she''s posted really sounds like an oval to me.. maybe a bulgey oval, maybe a bulgy oval with an alternative facet arrangement... ??? who knows! I think it is overpriced BUT it is so unusual they can pretty much put whatever they want and you''re either gonna have to have it or not... she''d be hard pressed to find a super long cushion like that with that kind of spread in another stone I think. You know, if these vendors/gia etc are gonna keep the angles for cushions quiet, at least they could tell us the crown height!! A nice cushion has at least 15 if not 20 or more % in the crown.... this stone is so shallow... total of 52? percent and if you look at it lengthwise it''s more like what, 30%? or something... 40%? it''ll have a very unique look to it and speaking as the owner of a unique cushion sometimes you just love them!! even if they don''t make sense :) Still, I bet this has a lot in common with an oval.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/14/2007 6:49:02 PM

Date: 1/14/2007 6:25:37 PM

cheers--Sharon
Miss C:

cheers--Sharon
no..... I''ve heard rumors of a cut chart for cushions that he has but he has said he keeps it secret for idunnowhy.... I think because it could be used incorrectly very easily since there are so many variables. This stone she''s posted really sounds like an oval to me.. maybe a bulgey oval, maybe a bulgy oval with an alternative facet arrangement... ??? who knows! I think it is overpriced BUT it is so unusual they can pretty much put whatever they want and you''re either gonna have to have it or not... she''d be hard pressed to find a super long cushion like that with that kind of spread in another stone I think. You know, if these vendors/gia etc are gonna keep the angles for cushions quiet, at least they could tell us the crown height!! A nice cushion has at least 15 if not 20 or more % in the crown.... this stone is so shallow... total of 52? percent and if you look at it lengthwise it''s more like what, 30%? or something... 40%? it''ll have a very unique look to it and speaking as the owner of a unique cushion sometimes you just love them!! even if they don''t make sense :) Still, I bet this has a lot in common with an oval.
HI:

A croval perhaps?
1.gif
I wonder if it "shows" less body color. At any rate, it would be great if we could get some eye candy! Oh Lady DiDi.....

cheers--Sharon

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2007 8:13:17 PM
HI:

A croval perhaps?
1.gif
I wonder if it ''shows'' less body color. At any rate, it would be great if we could get some eye candy! Oh Lady DiDi.....

cheers--Sharon
croval hahaha I wonder who graded the color... it could be lower but being so shallow... I wonder if it has a cushion variant of fish eye? I bet it is fairly brilliant since with the shallow depth and the very long long length those are going to be some very long facets (assuming it''s a brilliant cut) that face almost totally up.

LadyDiDi

Rough_Rock
So what is a croval?

I will work on getting a good pic for you all this week. Should visit the jeweler on Wednesday!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 5:58:43 PM
So what is a croval?

I will work on getting a good pic for you all this week. Should visit the jeweler on Wednesday!
give us the band one in the meantime please! lol

I think cushval is more accurate - she meant a cross between a cushion and an oval... some think cushions look best square, some consider the 1.10-1.15:1 range good... mine is 1.26:1 which I think is pretty long for a cushion and yours is 1.49:1 which is in the realm more of a slightly longer oval (1.33-1.66 is most traditional) and not at all common for a cushion. IN fact you can''t even serach beyond 1.40:1 on blue nile and you very rarely see anything out of the 1.20''s.... all in all you have a very unique stone there.... you''re not likely to find another like it. if it''s what you want - go for it. oooh you know, I did see a very long cushion on leon mege''s site, let me link to it.... http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=280

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2007 5:58:43 PM
So what is a croval?

HI:

DiDi--I look forward to seeing those pics! I hope my own silly lexicon (croval) didn't confuse you, I should have used this
2.gif
. I bet the ring is stunning!

cheers--Sharon

LadyDiDi

Rough_Rock
9.gif
OK, I get it!

That cushion on Leons site is very close to "mine". That is one beautiful and unique ring, I love the way that it is set east to west like that. I guess thats what you would call it...I would call it that if it were a marquis. His work is absolutely amazing. I have been on his site many times and I would use him in a second.

The stone that I am looking at is very unique and they are using that approach to make the sale and keep the price higher than the numbers should dictate. But I can''t argue that point.....

I will try to get that pic off of my phone tonight.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 8:51:02 PM
9.gif
OK, I get it!

That cushion on Leons site is very close to ''mine''. That is one beautiful and unique ring, I love the way that it is set east to west like that. I guess thats what you would call it...I would call it that if it were a marquis. His work is absolutely amazing. I have been on his site many times and I would use him in a second.

The stone that I am looking at is very unique and they are using that approach to make the sale and keep the price higher than the numbers should dictate. But I can''t argue that point.....

I will try to get that pic off of my phone tonight.
yay!! I posted really bad pics here before, but hey - better bad than nothing, almost always is true lol

LadyDiDi

Rough_Rock
I don't think this pic is actually too bad...but it still doesn't do the ring justice!
Sorry this is so biggggg! I am just a novice with this picture thing.

frontdrr32111.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmm, I think maybe the size of the thing is swaying you...I wonder what it'd look like under Ideal Scope.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 10:24:35 PM
Author: JulieN
Mmm, I think maybe the size of the thing is swaying you...I wonder what it'd look like under Ideal Scope.
idealscopes aren't everything for cushions... they are very very good at telling you how fine tuned the brilliant flashlight is to a particular focal point, but they don't consider other angles which is generally what cushions are good at.

THAT SAID - ITA with you julie... AND it looks kinda like a crisscut.... AND it's a beautiful ring.

ETA - some people aren't all that concerned with a high performing diamond.... they're more interested in the overall package of a beautiful ring. And that's a perfectly good criteria when you're spending money on something you totally don't need but really really want.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
smaller....

frontdrr32111 (Custom).jpg

LadyDiDi

Rough_Rock
Thank you - that looks so much better....now can you delete my monster pic too?
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results