shape
carat
color
clarity

Pre-owned setting + new diamond = match?

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Hi, I was wondering (since I have seen many pre-owned settings on sale and do not know the other side of the equation) how similar need to be the measures of the new diamond to the old one? I mean how big of a tolerance is there?

So, if I for example have a setting that held a cushion diamond of 1.7 ct with measured 7,2 x 7,0 x 4,7mm and I would like to use it, what range of cushion stones can I consider?

Would you do something like this or is it risky? How is it done? Are the prongs simply opened and reclosed? Or are they replaced?

What are your experiences?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
It will depend a bit on how the setting is designed. Cushion cuts can be tricky though as their ratios vary .

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You'd almost have to ask a jeweler what they can make work. If the setting has an integrated head (built-in) the size range won't be as flexible. But if it's a peg head, the jeweler can just replace the head.

"risk" also depends on many factors. If the setting hasn't been worn much and the stone was carefully removed, that might be a different scenario than if the setting has been warped or damaged somehow when the stone is removed. I've had some sim stones mounted in settings that I took diamonds out of. I personally haven't had any problems, but they were all 6 prong heads. 4 prongs have less prongs to hold a stone in, and if you lose one prong the stone can slide out. Again, that's an issue that you need the jeweler's input on.

Sometimes they can reuse the old prongs with some adjustments, retipping, and modification.
Sometimes they have to almost build new prongs. Many variables that have to be assessed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results