shape
carat
color
clarity

Pre-owned rings: How far off retail pricing should one expect for bigger stones?

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
@diamondseeker2006, AH, you have a good point there. FWIW, we did try to go in lower, and managed to get some few % points off, although it wasn’t 10%, we weren’t too good at that “final offer” part. The PS price charts give us some comfort, at least. Thank you for sharing your thinking!

FWIW, from the discussions with the jewelry store, this is a stone from the New York area, and they thought it was about 20 years old (although they gave me no specifics as to why they thought that was the age). It was bought out of an estate sale, and they thought the GIA cert in 2018 was done by that buyer who then put it into the modern 3 stone setting. They believe it has been in the hands of the buyer for the last 3 years and they’ve had it basically since March of this year.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a 5 ct K SI1. Did you see this one? Not sure if you clarity is VS1 or SI1. It would be higher than this, of course, if it was VS1. But this is less weight than the one you are looking at, too.

5.7 K VS2 $55k

Ahhh, so you have already settled on a price? I think these two are good comps for retail.

Last edited:

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for those comps. As you say, its definitely a modern stone rather than an antique one (those curvy windmills just really speak to me!), and we’re in the ballpark of those comps all things considered. ☺️ If, when we get to see it IRL, we decide that this one isn’t the one after all, the search will start again, so I definitely appreciate everyone’s advice and the points you and @Resonance.Of.Life have made!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yes, I definitely agree that with rare and highly desirable stones (particularly antique cuts), people are more likely to get asking price (let's face it, you've had some awesome stones!!!). Then sometimes a desirable stone is priced on the high side and will sit awhile, and then some sellers are willing to go down in price, especially if they have found another item they want to buy. All that is from knowing people who have bought and sold on consignment. But you are right that it really depends on the rarity and desirability of the stone and the patience of the seller in getting whatever their price target is. Pricing on consignment antique stones can also vary based on what the owner paid for the diamond in the first place.

Since we can't see the cert of the diamond above, I am just guessing, but it doesn't look like an antique asscher to me. It looks like a beautifully cut modern asscher which shouldn't quite carry the price premium of a beautifully cut antique one which would be even more rare. It's also K color. So I am not seeing why it should necessarily sell at a full retail price if it is a second hand ring, although since it is a nice asscher, it probably wouldn't be discounted much. The other factor we don't know is how long the ring has been for sale (unless I missed that in posts above). Newly listed items are less likely to be discounted than ones that have been sitting awhile. I really think her price comps need to be from modern asschers if this is a modern asscher, and then figure out a fair offer.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned unique/antique stones in the intro of my response as a disclaimer. I never specified the particular stone that OP was interested in, just making a comment that what you wrote may not be true for unique and highly sought after stones.

I've bought and sold on consignment so I am speaking from my experience as well. Pricing on consignment stones are still going to go off of RAP not necessarily what the person paid for it. If the person say paid 50k for a stone but RAP is currently 40k, you cannot list it for 50k kwim? It really won't sell because the market dictates the pricing. Similarly to buying a home, there is a market value and comparables- going below that may not work esp since it is an item that is unique just like a home.

I digress again- if the Op really likes it and it speaks to her I would buy it. There are maybe 3 or 4 stones rings that I will never be able to recreate because of the antique diamonds in it. I regret waffling on those purchases.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that's why I mentioned unique/antique stones in the intro of my response as a disclaimer. I never specified the particular stone that OP was interested in, just making a comment that what you wrote may not be true for unique and highly sought after stones.

I've bought and sold on consignment so I am speaking from my experience as well. Pricing on consignment stones are still going to go off of RAP not necessarily what the person paid for it. If the person say paid 50k for a stone but RAP is currently 40k, you cannot list it for 50k kwim? It really won't sell because the market dictates the pricing. Similarly to buying a home, there is a market value and comparables- going below that may not work esp since it is an item that is unique just like a home.

I digress again- if the Op really likes it and it speaks to her I would buy it. There are maybe 3 or 4 stones rings that I will never be able to recreate because of the antique diamonds in it. I regret waffling on those purchases.

Yep, I was agreeing with you!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
While I'm no expert, it doesn't look completely modern to me. I'm a bottom-feeder and have 3 modern Asschers. The fact that lovedogs said "Oh my FREAKING god. That is a breathtaking stone. I would be super tempted if I were you. Honestly if I had the funds I would go for it." would have me on the phone with my credit card in my shaking hand.
If there's a return option, I would not miss a chance at this.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
That is a truly breathtaking diamond and ring!!!

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
The store also has an antique asscher that I kept telling myself I should like more (although the LondonStones one Lulu_ma posted takes the cake for me as an antique cut), and it is also beautiful, but I couldn’t get over this one. Now I just need to see it in person, and fingers crossed my heart finds it to be equally flutter-worthy IRL.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a very beautiful diamond! I think the good thing about seeing it in person is that you'll KNOW if you're in love with it, and you'll know if you don't have that feeling! So either way, you end up with a stone you love or you keeping looking for the right one!

I was just checking in to this thread to see if you had an update since you posted your birthday bracelet!

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
That is what I am hoping in the end, too! That seeing it IRL will make the decision clear. The bracelet was easier because we knew the diamonds coming from BG would be well cut (still waiting to hear back from them on the links, but I did wait til after the weekend to ask). Until then I just keep watching this over and over (they send me another vid with a variety of light conditions rather than the bank of LEDs that I imagine lights up their studio ;)2)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results