shape
carat
color
clarity

Pre-loved Tiffany Vendors in Japan?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
There are a few Tiffany jewelry items on my wishlist. The problem is that many of them are "retired" and no longer made by Tiffany. So I will need to find them pre-loved.

I've noticed that there seem to be an extraordinarily high number of pre-loved designer jewelry vendors in Japan. Often these Japanese vendors have the hard to find items that I'm looking for. But I've never bought from them because I'm nervous about buying from overseas in general, and with Tiffany and Cartier there are soooo many knock offs doing so seems extra, extra risky.

Why are there so many pre-loved designer jewelry vendors in Japan? Has anyone bought from them and if so, what is your experience? How do you vet a vendor (in general - even buying in the USA -- and from such a distance away like Japan) besides just looking at their ratings?

Advice appreciated.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that Japan has a sizeable branded items market, and also a good preloved market (not just jewellery, but also vintage clothes, watches, etc). There are always some preloved vendors from Japan at jewelry shows with some really lovely items.

I don’t buy branded items, but generally my experience with jewellery has been pleasant. That’s with the mindset that I cannot return the items (since typically I use a shipping forwarder) and the items may get lost during shipment - it all makes for nerve-wrecking purchases to be very honest but I’m still doing it so it says something I guess.

I shop on Rakuten rather than eBay as generally items are cheaper on Rakuten even with shipping forwarding thrown in.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I've bought from Komehyo twice and was incredibly pleased with them. I've also been stalking some smaller Japanese ebay sellers who seem to have lovely jewelry at really competitive prices. This Youtube video explains the markets there well-- there are larger, more established secondhand department stores like Komehyo and smaller ones with less of a mass following. Personally, I think they're a good buy, but I would be careful to examine upon arrival.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that Japan has a sizeable branded items market, and also a good preloved market (not just jewellery, but also vintage clothes, watches, etc). There are always some preloved vendors from Japan at jewelry shows with some really lovely items.

I don’t buy branded items, but generally my experience with jewellery has been pleasant. That’s with the mindset that I cannot return the items (since typically I use a shipping forwarder) and the items may get lost during shipment - it all makes for nerve-wrecking purchases to be very honest but I’m still doing it so it says something I guess.

I shop on Rakuten rather than eBay as generally items are cheaper on Rakuten even with shipping forwarding thrown in.

Thank you, this is really helpful. I've never looked at Rakuten, so I'll definitely check it out!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I've bought from Komehyo twice and was incredibly pleased with them. I've also been stalking some smaller Japanese ebay sellers who seem to have lovely jewelry at really competitive prices. This Youtube video explains the markets there well-- there are larger, more established secondhand department stores like Komehyo and smaller ones with less of a mass following. Personally, I think they're a good buy, but I would be careful to examine upon arrival.

Thank you, very helpful!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I believe that counterfeit branded goods are highly illegal in Japan so the shops there are trustworthy.

Thanks! I thought I remembered hearing that too, but wasn't sure where I heard it.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I know a few years ago there were fake Balenciaga bags on Ebay coming out of Japan. They were good replica's but fake.
Doesn't mean they were made in Japan either - could just mean there's a buyer in Japan of Chinese fakes and then they sell them on Ebay.

I noticed the same thing with Tiffany.. a ton of items on Ebay from Japanese sellers. I don't trust it.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi RunningwithScissors!
I buy a lot of pre-loved Tiffany and Cartier on Ebay from Japan. I have always had positive experiences. The packages arrives here on the east coast of the USA in lightening fast speed (usually in less than 3 days) with very good tracking information along the way.
The prices on Ebay have gone up a lot in the past year for pre-loved designer pieces but there are still some bargains to be had from Japanese sellers.
I have probably bought around 20 things from Japan in the last 10 years and only once have I been charged duty. It's hard to make a generalization but the packages that I have had delivered by Japan Post and DHL weren't charged duty but the one Fedex package did.
These are the sellers that I have bought from in the past and have had no problems.
The ones at the top of the list were the most recent.
brandoff
brandshop-kuraya_tokyo
kyounokura-japan
ippuukishi.japan3
brandkauzo
brand-jp1000
Good luck!!! Hope I was helpful. :wavey:

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I'm chiming in that my most recent purchase just came in, perfect, exactly as described but I'm not 100% happy with it (my issue, emeralds are too small), so I'm returning it. I'll update on how that goes back to Japan (yikes, but at least this seller offers returns).

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Hi RunningwithScissors!
I buy a lot of pre-loved Tiffany and Cartier on Ebay from Japan. I have always had positive experiences. The packages arrives here on the east coast of the USA in lightening fast speed (usually in less than 3 days) with very good tracking information along the way.
The prices on Ebay have gone up a lot in the past year for pre-loved designer pieces but there are still some bargains to be had from Japanese sellers.
I have probably bought around 20 things from Japan in the last 10 years and only once have I been charged duty. It's hard to make a generalization but the packages that I have had delivered by Japan Post and DHL weren't charged duty but the one Fedex package did.
These are the sellers that I have bought from in the past and have had no problems.
brandoff
brandshop-kuraya_tokyo
kyounokura-japan
ippuukishi.japan3
brandkauzo
brand-jp1000

Thank you so much! This is super, super helpful. I'm off to look through those vendors offerings right now. Yay! :)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'm chiming in that my most recent purchase just came in, perfect, exactly as described but I'm not 100% happy with it (my issue, emeralds are too small), so I'm returning it. I'll update on how that goes back to Japan (yikes, but at least this seller offers returns).

Thanks! I hope your return goes smoothly. :)

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much! This is super, super helpful. I'm off to look through those vendors offerings right now. Yay! :)

Oh I'm so happy that helps.
I just realized that I left off one of my Ebay faves.. brandearauction
I just bought a skinny 6 band Cartier rolling ring from them about 5 weeks ago.
Arrived in less than 3 days!
They have TONS of preloved Tiffany and Cartier.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh I'm so happy that helps.
I just realized that I left off one of my Ebay faves.. brandearauction
I just bought a skinny 6 band Cartier rolling ring from them about 5 weeks ago.
Arrived in less than 3 days!
They have TONS of preloved Tiffany and Cartier.

Exciting! I've always loved the way those rolling rings look. Show us the pics when it arrives!

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
Ahh.. here it is.. was here for a few weeks and then youngest daughter got a look at it and loved it so now it's on her finger and she is enjoying it. :lol:

7F3F3132-A2B0-43B4-B23C-210ECA45423C.jpeg AAE279E1-2208-4586-A0CB-F0E6C1435A4D.jpeg

This is the prettiest Cartier rolling ring I’ve seen! I will look for one. Lucky daughter!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi RunningwithScissors!
brandoff
brandshop-kuraya_tokyo
kyounokura-japan
ippuukishi.japan3
brandkauzo
brand-jp1000

Great!!! Thanks!!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon.. you are my #1 slightly used Tiffany and Cartier gal!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon.. you are my #1 slightly used Tiffany and Cartier gal!

You Bet!!! :lol-2: :P2

Your daughter must have very small hands like yours! I glad it's rehomed--to a great home! Now off to look at those sites you posted!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You Bet!!! :lol-2: :P2

Your daughter must have very small hands like yours! I glad it's rehomed--to a great home! Now off to look at those sites you posted!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Hi!
Yes.. a happy "rehoming" for sure. :wavey:
It's funny.. I have 3 daughters. Two have small size 4.5 fingers like me and the other one has a more usual 6.
So I always say the size 4's get all the rings and the size 6 will get the necklaces and earrings! They can all share the bracelets.. PERFECT.:appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!
Yes.. a happy "rehoming" for sure. :wavey:
It's funny.. I have 3 daughters. Two have small size 4.5 fingers like me and the other one has a more usual 6.
So I always say the size 4's get all the rings and the size 6 will get the necklaces and earrings! They can all share the bracelets.. PERFECT.:appl:

Awesome. I see you didn't mentions watches---SO I'LL take them! :lol-2:

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
Many years ago while in Nagoya (south of Tokyo) I visited a multi story shopping complex selling pre loved designer goods, including jewellery.

I was told when someone passes in Japan it is bad luck to keep their items, so that’s why there is a big second hand market in Japan….any Japanese PSers out there that can confirm this?

I didn’t buy any designer goods there, but crossed the road to another (non designer) jewellery store and purchased a tennis bracelet. Not sure if it was pre loved but it was a bargain!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ahh.. here it is.. was here for a few weeks and then youngest daughter got a look at it and loved it so now it's on her finger and she is enjoying it. :lol:

7F3F3132-A2B0-43B4-B23C-210ECA45423C.jpeg AAE279E1-2208-4586-A0CB-F0E6C1435A4D.jpeg

That has been on my bling wishlist for awhile!!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:Hi!
There are usually lots of them on Ebay.
Good luck!:D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results