shape
carat
color
clarity

Prayers & Thoughts for safety to those in Gulf!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Screen shot taken from a video. She would have been outside in a kennel for the storm.

C1A7B8E1-695A-476F-A545-B8CFF9C993F2.jpeg

Bless you and thank you so much for caring about the vulnerable without voices. :angel:

I just wish I could do the same from Ohio here.....

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a year 2020 has been.

If we all make it through to 2021 unscathed, we should have a massive PS party, have far to much to drink and admire each other's jewelry (once the pandemic lifts, whenever the heck that is.)

Count me in!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen shot taken from a video. She would have been outside in a kennel for the storm.

C1A7B8E1-695A-476F-A545-B8CFF9C993F2.jpeg

:pray: Bless you for this! And bless that beautiful puppy’s soul ... so lucky to be taken in from the danger by a kind stranger; and wish we could do the same for all furry friends! It just breaks my heart ... for the most part people ‘can’ leave but rescue/shelter pets don’t get the same options/warnings, KWIM? Anyway, thank you for this, and thanks for sharing the pic of this super-cutie! If you keep her, ‘Laura’ might be a great name!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nature does what it does.
Of course I'm sad people are hurt by nature, but lip-service like prayers and thoughts have no effect on what happens.

I have no power over what happens with weather, neither do you or hocus pocus magic zillions believe in.

If you really do care - then instead of doing what does nothing, quietly send money - oh, and don't brag about it unless you care more about your ego than nature's victims.

Why not state what we know to be true?
Superstitions can not be proven, while sending money is real help.

Last edited:
Q

Queenie60

Of course I'm sad people are hurt by nature, but lip-service like prayers and thoughts have no effect on what happens.

I have no power over what happens with weather, neither do you or the "magic' you believe in.

If you really care - then instead of doing what does nothing, quietly send money - oh, and don't brag about it unless you care more about your ego than nature's victims.

:???:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s hoping threads communicating well-wishes/safety to PSers in harms way aren’t the next thing to get banned because someone‘s boxers are bunched by the word ‘prayers’, or doesn’t feel others are donating enough/properly. :doh:

I’ve heard so many reports of “this is the most deadly/non-survivable hurricane expected to hit the target-impact area” today but too busy to stay current on every latest tidbit, so just hope everyone in the path who can get out has/does, and those who must/choose to stay put do what they can to stay safe. Hurricanes have really wreaked enough havoc on the Gulf/East coasts the past decade and destroyed so much in terms of life, livelihoods & land (on top of everything else people are facing outside the weather). :pray:

Q

Queenie60

I understand that you don't believe in prayer or God and I certainly respect that. However, some of us do believe in the power of prayer. I felt your comment to be a bit harsh. But, "people vary" and I don't hold that against you. That's all.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The animal shelters I try to help are in the path. I've been messaging with rescue friends, some of whom live in the area, and just waiting and hoping for the best.

At least two of them have collected supplies for shelters and rescues helping the animals impacted after it is over. I anticipate that again.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand that you don't believe in prayer or God and I certainly respect that. However, some of us do believe in the power of prayer. I felt your comment to be a bit harsh. But, "people vary" and I don't hold that against you. That's all.

I think everyone posting about prayer (or even just a passing thought), as if everyone assumes it is effective and of course is something that everyone should accept it and do, to be more than a bit harsh.

I'm astonished someone posting the only thing sure to be effective and reasonable, sending money, even warrants any notice at all besides praise, and especially a :???: .
What an unreasonable world we have come to accept. :nono:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The animal shelters I try to help are in the path. I've been messaging with rescue friends, some of whom live in the area, and just waiting and hoping for the best.

At least two of them have collected supplies for shelters and rescues helping the animals impacted after it is over. I anticipate that again.

Do you have any links or info on these shelters that you could pass along? DH and I can't afford much, but we'd like to send or do something to help these precious four-footers, and I have no idea where to start.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I think everyone posting about prayer (or even just a passing thought), as if everyone assumes it is effective and of course is something that everyone should accept it and do, to be more than a bit harsh.

I'm astonished someone posting the only thing sure to be effective and reasonable, sending money, even warrants any notice at all besides praise, and especially a :???: .

You're provoking people. Stop it.
It's not helping.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any links or info on these shelters that you could pass along? DH and I can't afford much, but we'd like to send or do something to help these precious four-footers, and I have no idea where to start.

Happy to share! Let me see how things look tomorrow so we can see who needs help and where it can go. One of my rescue friends runs a rescue and a transport service. Worst case, she will collect and take to the shelters in most need through the states hit. I hate the waiting!

ETA: they always needs sheets, towels, blankets, etc. Even old newspapers. I have a couple of boxes downstairs that I fill and send as needed. I'm planning to post in my local FB group when I know where the need is most to collect from others in my area and send those down too.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the event anyone in the path is put off or confused, I’m going out on a limb to say I do not believe anyone’s calls for thoughts, prayers or “dust” were intended to insensitively have them blown back in your face with the 140 mph winds bearing down on you ... any more than the sharing of the latest advisories that you might read shared here, which were likely intended to be helpful vs hurtful in the event you wish to stay connected to PS & see what’s happening on your mobile at the same time because your power/TV service might be out ... again, no insensitivity intended - only kindness & care for your well-being by people who choose to demonstrate care & concern to you by others who’ve been through hurricanes and know the wrath & fear they bring.

@TooPatient I’d appreciate your tagging me in posting any local orgs; I may not see it on the forum during the day, but I will get an email and happy to help support a reputable, local program directly if you know of one to help them quickly. Thanks for being helpful & kind! :wavey:

Q

Queenie60

Whatever Kenny - you have your opinion and I have mine. Sorry you're so disgruntled. I never sent prayers with malice, just kindness to others. I'm sorry that you find that to be negative. I'm not a mean person, just a person with a caring heart. If you can't accept that, I understand. Wishing you well. Take care.:wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient The reminder about sheets, towels & blankets is so timely; thank you! I try to purge our linen extras annually with the items going to our vet, who pass along to several partner rescues in need and support programs; it’s actually that time of year, so will put this on my weekend to-do list .... it’s only a matter of time until they’re likely needed in our area for similar events.

If you or someone else knows of a local org/program that I can make a direct donation, I can swipe fast so they can have funds to buy what they need on-hand. Hoping @whitewave is doing okay & staying safe with her cute rescue pup guest; and she may know of some options also.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking at the NHC live feed. Still not over still a cat 3 inland. Saw some of the damage and its pretty bad around Cameron . I have not seen anything from other locations.

From what I was reading last night there was a slight wobble east prior to landfall. I heard Houston got spared and looking at the live in Galvaston it didn't look bad either.

@whitewave I hope all is well with you and that you hopefully have electricity. if not, at least generated power! Your foster is adorable! Much love and prayer for your continued safety during all this.

@kenny people vary. Only speaking for myself, but knowing that someone cares enough to pray for me and my safety, in WHATEVER religion or even none at all, is comforting. There's no reason to gatekeep anyone's expression of love and/or caring to someone else.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Power went out at 5am. Still getting super strong winds. Many many trees down— I hate that I can hear them land with a resounding THUD.

Right now, no one can get in and out of the neighborhood.

It looks like a tree and leaf bomb went off around here.

7A713571-CA73-4B1D-9E76-259C615B8CEB.jpeg

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

I have no power over what happens with weather, neither do you or hocus pocus magic zillions believe in.

If you really do care - then instead of doing what does nothing, quietly send money - oh, and don't brag about it unless you care more about your ego than nature's victims.

Superstitions can not be proven, while sending money is real help.

Knowing that the people in your life are thinking about you, acknowledge what you are going through and are concerned for your wellbeing means a great deal for people dealing with a hardship.

I have gone through several difficult times in my life and having people reach out to me during those times makes a big difference in how strong I feel, how loved I feel and helps me weather the figurative or literal storm.

Feeling acknowledged and loved helps people, that is science. There are multitudes of studies showing people recover faster from illness when they feel loved and supported.

My husband and I went through hurricane Harvey. It was awful. I will never forget the friends and acquaintances who reached out to us, even just with a quick email to see if we were okay (the storm lasted an entire week, it was day after day after day of unrelenting stress and chaos.)

At one point, I think it was day 4 or 5, I sent out a group email to my closest friends and family members just updating everyone that we were hanging on and okay relatively speaking. I did that because I would absolutely want to know if the roles were reversed and they were in the middle of a multi day hurricane/flood. Many people responded and were relieved to hear from us and sent well wishes and asked how they could help. But several close friends didn't ever bother to respond or acknowledge in any way what was happening to us and to Houston. I was very hurt by their lack of response and it changed my relationship with them. (These were people I had flown across country to help several times when they had difficulties in their lives.)

So letting people know you are thinking about them and care about what's happening to them is vey important and does make a difference.

Like Kenny, I too am an atheist. But having someone saying they are praying for me I perceive as a loving, kind gesture and I welcome it. We could use a lot more love and kindness in this world.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Power went out at 5am. Still getting super strong winds. Many many trees down— I hate that I can hear them land with a resounding THUD.

Glad you guys are okay!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock

thank goodness you are alright!! thank you for updating during such difficult circumstances!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I’m glad to hear you are ok and hanging in there. I’m sorry you are going thru this. Thinking of you and sending you dust and prayers.

@RunningwithScissors , Thank you for the lovely post. Most of us get thru life realizing the kindness of others helps us thru the most difficult times. Right now the world needs a lot more kindness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results