shape
carat
color
clarity

Potential Ring - Need feedback

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

walmartshopper

Rough_Rock
First off, the diamond. I just purchased it from Superbcert. It''s a round 0.873ct, D color, Si1 clarity, Super Ideal H&A cut with excellent polish, excellent symmetry, and no flouresence. Here are the pics...

Gemex Light Performance
Hearts & Arrows
Imagescope

I got it for 4,350$. I''m no expert, but it seems like an amazing diamond for the price. Now on to the setting...

My girlfriend has picked out two rings that she really likes, both equally as much.

Tiffany with pear side stones - top view
Tiffany with pear side stones - side view
Trellis setting from Blue Nile - side view

Ok so here''s what I really want to do. I''ve designed my own custom setting by Photoshopping pieces together from a few different rings. The goal was to take those two rings and create something that had the best of both worlds. So what I ended up with is a round center stone and pear side stones, but with lucida/trellis style prongs. I really like how it turned out and I''m confident that she would love it. So here it is... try to ignore the slightly unnatural looking prongs and focus on the overall design.

My custom ring idea

I know the view is slightly limited, but I think it would work very well with the pear side stones. The two prongs for each pear would be on the outside of the weave as shown in the picture. And then the prongs from opposite sides of the center stone would gradually merge together into the corner prongs for the pears. Let me know what you guys think, good or bad. How much should I expect to pay to have something like this custom made in Platinum 950?

Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your idea for the setting. I'm a big fan of pear side stones. As for the cost of a custom setting in Platinum, I'm not really sure how much it would cost. What size pears do you want?? Where are my manners?? Welcome to PS
35.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
You picked an amazing diamond, and I love your setting idea. E-mail Whiteflash and Quest Jewelers for quotes on your pear setting, which will be gorgeous. I would advise you to stick with small pears (I would think .25 each would be good) because big ones would overwhelm your diamond. I bet Valeria would Photoshop some proportions for you if you ask her nicely in the Rocky Talky forum.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would think even .20''s would be a nice size. My pears are .34 each and my center stone is 2.36 to give you an idea of my ring''s proportions.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, just the other day someone on here told me their quote from WhiteFlash for a custom setting with the pear sides included and I think it was around $2000. Let me look and see if I can find that post.

Your design is lovely, by the way!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Hey! I LOVE that setting you designed.. Its actually very similar to my e-ring. My E-ring is 3 rounds, but they only have one prong on the outer edge of the side stones, so from the side, it looks virtually identical, except I don''t have the bars, just prongs. and sometimes at a glance the single outer prongs give my sidestones the illusion of being sort of pear-ish.. so I know it will look great!

I think it would look really nice with pears. I really do NOT like the basic basket setting from Tiffany but you really did a good job of combing the best, and most unique features of each ring.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 5:20:33 PM
Author: kaleigh
I would think even .20's would be a nice size. My pears are .34 each and my center stone is 2.36 to give you an idea of my ring's proportions.
2.gif

I always thought your pears were .68 each
6.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi WMS!

Hey your diamond looks beautiful!
9.gif
And I must say ... Your photoshopping skills are excellent!
36.gif
Can I come over for a few lessons? I am soooo Photoshop challenged!
38.gif

I really like you interpretation and the outcome of your ring your thinking about having made ... I think it''s going to be awesome! And I am a sucker for pears!
30.gif
I think they are so sexy ... I know, I am crazy!
26.gif

Keep us updated, and have a nice day!
35.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the custom ring you''ve designed. It is a classic setting which will always be in style. It''s one of my favorite settings for a RB.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there was one trellis style setting with pear sides done for a Pricescoper a while back - if not two. Either Quest or Mark Morell or one by each!

I don't seem to find the version done by Quest... if there was one. Only these:

Mark Morell's: ( link )

mwm.jpg

Also... see down this link

Marks' was a princess with trillions.. but since these are custom, the leap is not so great. Side view attached below:

MarksST.JPG

walmartshopper

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I''m really glad to hear that everyone seems to like it. I found two matching 0.25ct pears and ordered them, so the setting is all that''s left. I''ve decided for sure that I want to get it custom made based on my design. I want it to be just right, even if it costs around 2000$, so I''m probably going to go with Whiteflash or Quest. Still waiting on quotes though. Would it be any less expensive since the stones are fairly small (0.87ct round, 2x 0.25ct pears)?

Thanks for the pics valeria! The second one is very similar to what I want except I want the angle of the pears to be aligned with the crown of the center stone, and I want the pear prongs on the outside of the weave. Personally, I like the pears at a steeper angle. And I like corner-style prongs for the points of the pear rather than regular round ones. I''m hoping that they can make the main prongs merge into corner-style prongs gracefully without looking weird.

Thanks again for the help... I think I''ll go ahead and get it started, and I''ll post pictures of how it turns out.

Oh yeah... will I have to send in the stones or can they do it just with the measurements?

walmartshopper

Rough_Rock
Real quick... is there anyone else other than whiteflash, quest, and Mark Morrell who makes custom settings and is known for their quality craftsmanship? For those of you who have been here awhile and have seen custom settings made at various places, are there any that seem to stand out in quality and customer satisfaction? Thanks again!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen some beautiful peices from Wink Jones at Winfields and James allen has some nice things and a great custom return policy.

You might also want to check out Leon mege

rstillin

Rough_Rock
Not sure if it should be a consideration, but with the pears on the side I would think that ring size might play a factor in sidestone length.

What ring size will this be?

walmartshopper

Rough_Rock
After looking around a bit, I''ve decided to go with whiteflash. They seem to have amazing customer satisfaction and very reasonable prices. But more importantly, according to Jeremy''s thread, they get many requests for the Tiffany setting with pear side stones and have already made replicas of it. Since my design is basically just a matter of bending the prongs on this same design, I think whiteflash would be able to do a great job replicating it. The center stone and pears should be arriving sometime this week, so I''ll get the wax going soon and start a new thread when I have something to show!

walmartshopper

Rough_Rock
It will be size 6. I''ve Photoshopped the actual proportions down to the millimeter and I think it looks good. The pears are fat... 4.99mm x 3.91mm while the center stone is 6.24mm. They may be a hair big for the center stone, but I don''t think they will be too long for a size 6. I''ll post pics of the stones together when they arrive.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2006 1:25:42 PM
Author: walmartshopper

After looking around a bit, I''ve decided to go with whiteflash.
Do they work with customers'' diamonds? Dind''t know that...

walmartshopper

Rough_Rock
Do they work with customers'' diamonds? Dind''t know that...

I sure hope so... it doesn''t say on their site though. I''m still waiting to hear back from them. Anyone know for sure if they work with customer diamonds?

walmartshopper

Rough_Rock
Welp, there''s been a slight delay. I though I ordered matching pear stones, but actually I ordered the same stone from two different places (and with a 40$ price difference)! So now I have both places trying to find a stone with the same weight, proportions, and color. So we''ll see what happens. Hopefully I can find two pears that match nicely!

walmartshopper

Rough_Rock
Update:

The setting is in progress and I will post pics of the wax when I get them. The pears I ended up with are both fat shaped 0.25ct G/VS excellent cut. I think the color will match nicely with the D center stone and the proportions will be just right. I looked on the Vatche site and they use 0.25ct pears for a 1ct center stone, so my .873ct center stone is only a fraction of a millimeter smaller and should still look great. Also, Superbcert was really nice and took some pictures of the diamond for me. It looks beautiful... I can''t wait to see it in person! It seems like it has a lot of brilliance, maybe even more than the Gemex report indicated.

diamond_photos.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Wow absolutely gorgeous diamond! Can''t wait to see the wax and the final product. That is a ring I would truly love to get and I am sure your girl will be very pleased!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, you diamond is just beautiful. the ring is going to be stunning..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a gorgeous stone!! I can''t wait for the pics of your ring!!! It''s going to be amazing!!!
30.gif

walmartshopper

Rough_Rock
I can''t wait either! It''s supposed to take about 3 weeks to finish the whole process, and it started a couple days ago, so I should have the ring in hand sometime around the 23rd. I''ll make sure to take large, high quality pictures of it.
3.gif
lol, you guys know I''m just kidding.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
looks gorgeous!!! I like the proportions you selected, my ring is similar to the original tiffanys setting and I have a .86 center and .25 pear sides... I think it looks awesome!! Although, I am a bit biased... heehe

You can probably search my posts for pics of my ring.

walmartshopper

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 3:46:44 PM
Author: flopkins
I have a .86 center and .25 pear sides... I think it looks awesome!!

Wow, that''s basically the same exact sizes, so I''m glad to hear that it looks awesome! I did find your ring pictures and I have to agree with you. I think those proportions are just right.
1.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Walmartshopper- that diamond is stunning.
I saw your wax photos- this is going to be one amazing ring.
can''t wait

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results