shape
carat
color
clarity

Potential old OEC diamond ring project! Help please!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I know, I know. What can I say? I love PS.

Anyways, so I stumbled across a diamond ring locally. 1 ctw approximately, 3 larger diamonds about 1/3 ct each, 3 smaller diamonds, either old mine or old european cut. Icky setting, scrap 14k at best. I can probably get the ring for $300-400. The jeweler said old miner, but I think they are OEC. Very clear looking - he let me borrow his loupe - (note to self, never leave home without your loupe). Not only very clear but great color from what I could tell. At least two stones had cool little open cutlets.

So here is my question - worth it to buy the ring at what price? Maybe up to $500 I'm thinking.

And then what? Maybe a 3 stone - although I don't know how the sizes match up - maybe a bezel set necklace with the larger three and then maybe at least two of the smaller ones in between? Or a bezel set DBY bracelet - I just don't like things that flip.

I'm a little concerned the custom setting price would be so high that it would ruin my "deal." Any idea on what that would run?

I need to decide by tonight/tomorrow am at the latest. Some other person was already looking over at the ring I think because I tried it on! Like when you are at Starbucks and suddenly whatever drink you order sounds great to the next 5 people.

Thanks for any feedback.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Under $500 is a very good price assuming the stones are nicely cut and sparkly, no chips or major damage, and not too tinted. Make sure you look at in in varied lighting. I would also request an inspection/return period in writing, so you can check it out, get it cleaned up, macro photos (which I find better than loupe).

A custom setting might be $1500 to $2000. So... yeah. Not such a deal there.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1328556963|3120245 said:
Under $500 is a very good price assuming the stones are nicely cut and sparkly, no chips or major damage, and not too tinted. Make sure you look at in in varied lighting. I would also request an inspection/return period in writing, so you can check it out, get it cleaned up, macro photos (which I find better than loupe).

A custom setting might be $1500 to $2000. So... yeah. Not such a deal there.

Ditto, I've never paid less for custom. That said, there are stock mounting (aka better priced) that will accomodate a myraid of designs and often can be tweeked for "uneven" size stones.

Depends on what you envision for your "outcome".

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Sharon. When I am looking I usually just think about the diamonds and their value and if they are awesome and a great value, snap them up.

Do you have calipers? Take some with you and measure the stones. If they are any calibrated sizes you could be better off.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
They are final sale so that is a consideration. Unfortunately I don't have calipers. I'm also thinking it might be nice to have vintage side stone in case I find a nice center. And I'm going to intergem in a week so I can poke around there. I think worst case scenerio I should low ball and then I can always resell myself so I don't think I would lose too much if this doesn't work out. I'll take a second look but the color and clarity really struck me and of course that cool vintage diamond look. I also have seen awesome DBTY necklaces where they mix up sizes and shapes.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Make your offer contingent on allowing an inspection period , even one day. You need to see the diamonds in many lighting environments. A jeweler will have calipers. Or go buy a pair, they cost like $10. A hardware will likely have digital ones! The yare big, but they work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results