shape
carat
color
clarity

Potential Find: Need Some Opinions

crans223

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone, so after looking through the resources like a nerd studying for a final, and reading through the help on my last post, I think I finally found a reputable dealer to go with, and have an overall good vibe with the guy. He's laid back and let's me do the talking, and delivers exactly what I'm looking for, as well as takes the time with me as I put the specs through the HCA tool.

As of right now I am looking at one diamond and have 2 or 3 coming in to take a look at on Thursday and wanted to see what everyone thought. My budget is about $6,800 - $7,000 all in (diamond + setting/sizing etc). I went to a handful of vendors in person and this is the only one that has stuck to my budget, allowed for wiggle room in price, and didn't try to tell me that color is the most important part of a diamond lol.

This one is a bit outside of my price range, but it is gorgeous. However, my only reservation (outside of the price) is that the HCA tool leaves it at a 5.5 rating. In person, it sparkles very nicely, is eye clean and has almost no inclusions visible, even with the magnifier.

20150419_132441.jpg

Carat: 1.18
Cut: Ex
Polish: Ex
Symmetry: Ex
Color: H
Clarity: VS2

GIA Number: 1187442073
(http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ename=GIA/Dispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547)

Depth 62.8 %
Table 58 %
Crown Angle 36.5°
Crown Height 16.0%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 55%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet None

HCA Score: 5.0
Light Return: Good
Fire: Good
Scintillation: Good
Spread: Very Good

Price: $7,250 (Whole Ring - Diamond + Setting + Band + Mounting + Sizing)

crans223

Rough_Rock
I'm looking into a few others that he is going to try and bring in, but I want to see if he can bring in one or two that I found here with HCA scores 2 and lower.

The other diamonds he is bringing it for me to take a look at that are within my price range are:

Carat: 1.13
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Fluorescence: None
Cut: Ex
Polish: VG
Symmetry: Ex
GIA: 1156645560 (http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=1156645560)

HCA: 1.7
Light Return: VG
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: VG
Spread: Excellent

Price: TBD

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
First diamond is deep. Paying for some weight that doesn't show up in the face up view. There are some 1 carat diamonds out there that will face up just as big as the 1.18 carat.

Second diamond faces up bigger than the first, despite weighing less. Looks like a good candidate.

crans223

Rough_Rock
danielxlin|1429547231|3864885 said:
First diamond is deep. Paying for some weight that doesn't show up in the face up view. There are some 1 carat diamonds out there that will face up just as big as the 1.18 carat.

Second diamond faces up bigger than the first, despite weighing less. Looks like a good candidate.
Ty daniel! When I am looking, how would I know (based on the depth) if it's too deep or good enough?

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
62.8% is maybe too deep, or it's at least on the edge. 60% to 62% is ideal range. I'd prefer a diamond with closer to 60% depth percentage to squeeze out a little more face up size. It's a matter of preference, and I like size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results