shape
carat
color
clarity

Posted this in Sleds thread, Need some input

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
Hmmm the diamond is still showing up, but it wont post to my ring now, I have a baaaaad feeling its gone.

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
It will let me add to bag but not to ring whereas it did before, how odd.

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
I tried another diamond and it added it to the ring.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
haha-no we''re not assigned-and I''m only a cut rock, so maybe you shouldn''t be listening to me!
2.gif
but I''m glad to help
1.gif

IMHO, I think for clarity you could shoot for VS1 to SI1. (my pref VS2-SI1) VS1 and VS2 should most definitely be eye clean with rare exceptions. With SI-1''s you can get the dealer to check it out for you. My plot looks like a mess, but the grade setter, and most of the other inclusions, are white crystals that are totally lost in the sparkle. Even if you weren''t on a budget, most would argue that IF-VVS2 isn''t really necessary. (although most would say that about a D, too
3.gif
-however, I think a D with MB fluor will seriously look like a yummy sliver of ice!)

That last stone seems to still be there when I look...hmmm?

In order to compare stone sizes, you can just compare the mm measurements. With that last stone, you''re losing a little spread with the depth/very thick portion of the girdle, but I don''t think it''s a big deal since you''re already going larger.

As for setting it simple, it leaves her with two good options: a super-blingy wedding ring to pair with it (which would be fab), or the possiblility of upgrading the setting in the future when more funds are available and she''s had time with the stone to figure out what she wants. She''s probably going to be floored by the rock alone, esp if she thought she was getting a .5!
9.gif

If you want to check out other vendors-I''ve personally worked with Lesley from Whiteflash and she was great. James Allen is easy because there are images of the actual fancy shaped stones, which I don''t believe they have on WF. They could get this info for you, but I think it may be a charge to call it in.

I love marquises-one reason that I was drawn to the thread.:)

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
YAY, Im glad you were, and oops on the rock, but youre still above me so thats all that matters. I am kinda digging that rock with the BL FL Med and the D color like you said, its almost perfect and I may just go that route.

Honestly I could go higher as far as budget, and I really wanted to get no lower than 1Ct, but like I said, she tried one on while cleaning the diamond bracelet I got her last christmas, funny huh, and said the marquis solitaire at 1 Ct looked to big. Shes an average girl size wise ut her fingers are a 7 ( big hands) and I was surprised at that. She said she wanted lower, maye even a .5 and I just laughed at her. I mean I would go lower but no lower than @3/4 which is what I am looking at. Again, the budget is set as I do not want to go extreme, she doesnt want it, and we can upgrade down the road no big deal, makes my life simpler in buying gifts LOL.

I love your descriptiveness btw. Bling, yummy, sliver and so on...makes me want to eat the darn thing

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
Funny, Whiteflash, which I have checked out before, had the same exact specs on a diamond as the JA one and for a few hundred less.

http://www.whiteflash.com/marquise/Marquise-cut-diamond-326399.htm

Dont think they think too highly of the ones I slected, perhaps to get you to go higher, LOL.

I also like their selection of settings, but how do I know which to get? Four, six, beveled or bezeled, I forget the name....ARGH and I was so close.

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
Hmmmm, WF doesnt allow for cut sortability, I wonder if thats the issue, they dont say. I am not too thrilled about that.

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
I just compared them side y side and the the measurements and everything are EXACT, meaning the WF one should be ideal cut based on the TD and the other, I mean its the same EXACT diamond. Whatcha think?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
same diamond. and WF has ASET capabilities...

6 prongs, definitely.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
checking in briefly...:)

I know people have had stellar customer service with James Allen, but I think Whiteflash might have a better trade-in/up policy on the diamond (since you mentioned it in the above post). If it''s cheaper, too, I guess that kind of seals the deal, huh?
3.gif

Julie-what are your initial thoughts on that stone?

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
What are ASET capabilities? Is that the tests they conduct that you typically have to have stone sent out for?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASET is the cool red, green, and blue thingamajig.
35.gif

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, that one looks pretty, too! BTW, there is minimal to no visual difference between D and E if you are after the "icy" look!
3.gif
hehe Please keep us updated, Spicy-I''m excited to see what you end up with! (and maybe some pics, too???
12.gif
)

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
Oh I most certainly will. Sorry I haven''t been back on, just swamped, so I put a hold on it, but I am looking again. This is something I plan on doing very soon, however. Yes, Julie, the other one I wasnt too sure of, what threw you off? was it the FL? I was kinda digging that.

Also, apparently, a friend of my GFs mother can get diamonds at wholesale, but I have been so busy, have not had a chance to meet her yet. I just moved here not too long ago for her as she missed her family too much. Met her where i lived before. Anyway I digress. I dont know if and when that will happen, so a of now I am relegated to the experts such as yourself and the spots we looked at. If you have a few more suggestions to link me, that would be great!

Oh, meaning, my GF has a friend and the friend has a mother, well we know she has a mother, but you know what I mean.

Oh dont you worry kitty, there will be pics!
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people who buy diamonds from a friend of a friend who can get wholesale get ripped off. Past PS posts. Be careful. If a stone isn''t GIA certed you have to take the seller''s word for what color and clarity the stone is.

Hope you have fun searching!

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip. I most likely would not go in that direction; however, I do know the friends mother to be very reputable and would not include anything less than certified. With that being said, I am still hunting. All advise and wisdom appreciated! You guys are the best.

I am almost debating on popping the question next weekend, we have a four night weekend getaway planned at a bed and breakfast, just something we had been discussing, and the setting may be the perfect opportunity. If not, I can wait a little longer if needed, until I find what I feel is perfect in terms of my own comfort with everything and finding that perfect stone and I guess a ring too
28.gif

Not gonna rush it, wouldnt be prudent, not gonna do it
41.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t view your shopping bag to see what you put in it!

As far as the stone goes there is no picture of it. I went by photos when I was searching they help weed out the BAD stones.

WF gives it only 2 stars but that may be because of the shape (MQ). Cushions don''t get many stars in their rating system either.

Ask for a photo!

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
I noticed that too. I think WF pushes the star diamonds a bit, not saying they are biased, but I think its also personal preference. So I dont go too much on their rating scale. It does suck they dont have pictures. Since I have noticed that alot of retailers use the same wholesalers, ie James allen and WF bot having the same diamond, I have use JA for diamonds I liked on WF to find either the same exact diamond, and see a picture, OR do a search that is as close to the diamond parameters as possible.

Still searching. Think its only a matter of time. I will know when the right one feels right, this is how I have always approached any purchases as gifts, I just know its the right thing by the feeling, and thusly tend to excel in this area.

Thank you again for all of your help. If anything pops up let me know! I would love to see any more recommendations from the "experts" here. You have all been so helpful and wonderful!

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
OK, after much much much decision making and having to take so much into consideration I ended up going with Diamonds on the web. My initial experience with them was great (last march) as they didnt even put in my order, even after I paid for it, so they could talk to me about and subsequently started my long journey here lol. I had selected a SI2 or 3 back then based on some preliminary findings, and thought I had found a good diamond. She did not feel that was the case. You see I thought all certs were created equal and she let me know even though it was EGL (sp?) that their standards can be seen as lower than the others so an SI3 was in fact lower and would effect a marquis cut. Additionally I had selected a lower color as I had read much until then, figuring all diamond cuts were created equal, and did not realize the difference then on how color anc cut and such have on a marquis as opposed to a round or square.

Based on all of your advice, particularly you kitty THANK YOU SO VEYR MUCH! I ended up getting this diamond. We have thirty days to return it so we will have it inspected and appraised as well:

The specs: it was about 2700 or so

Stock number: 1009780 Grading Lab: GIA
Carat weight: 0.79 Measurement: 9.03 - 4.71 x 3.19
Cut* Excellent Polish: Good
Color: E Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2 Fluorescence: None
Depth%: 67.7% Girdle: Slightly Thick to Very Thick
Table%: 54% Culet: None
L/W Ratio: 1.92

Regarding the ring, guess what, I had her input again, and it turns out, that the ring I found in the beginning of this post was something she just loved, one reason we ended up going with the Diamonds on teh web as no matter how hard I tried and without going into custom designs, I could not find anything anywhere that matched it. Additionally a matching wedding band can be had that she just loved the idea of her hand just blinding her LOL.

She did go with the solitaire moreso for cost sake, and I told her again recently, that it is not a big deal. There are very nice rings that are also affordable without going crazy and I showed it to her, and she bascially squeeled with delight
9.gif

I am attempting to attach the ring as shown on the site and will add the matching wedding band. I put in the order not too long ago, and they may call again and let me know, but I think I will just say go for it, even though it has been placed and ordered.
36.gif

spicyoctoring1.jpg

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
and the matching band next to the ring (it wont let me show the pic with the diamond in it
4.gif

spicyoctoring2.jpg

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
Just fyi, she still doesnt know, I have been discussing it with her for almost nine months now, te he, so I bring it up every once in a while and we have looked so I can get input. Anyway, let me know what you guys think overall.

spicyoctopusroll

Rough_Rock
well, it was on backorder, the ring and wasnt due to arrive until next week oct 11. Her bday is saturday and I asked them if the ring had arrived yet to try and surprise her on her bday. Guess what! Its coming tomorrow (thursday) They made it a priority and had contacted the manufacturer who said it was shipped yesterday. So they got it today, will set it and ship it overnight. Originally I had it for overnight delivery, they even erased the overnight charge and all shipping charges as it was not in house at the time. And they are priority tomorrow. I asked for a pic of the diamond, and WOW WOW WOW. I am putting it here, the white flash (LOL white flash, get it like whiteflash) sorry Its late.
LIke glass, as kitty would say, yum yummy yum yum
Specs that I posted above.

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
31.gif
31.gif
36.gif
36.gif
18.gif
18.gif

PICT007.jpg

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Spicy!

I''m so glad you checked in! Everything looks gorgeous-that is going to be some ring
30.gif
. Glad I could help out-please come back with hand pics...

PS 9 months?!? Patient gal
2.gif
hehe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results