shape
carat
color
clarity

Possibly taking the plunge today! Help!

ohitsjn

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I'm new to PriceScope and I'm hoping you all can teach me a thing or two!

Unfortunately there was a diamond that I really liked.. but it sold before I could make my final decision :wall:

I have found another diamond and I believe that the specifications are to my liking (and hopefully you'll give it a thumbs up too? :bigsmile: ).

My only problem is that there looks to be a carbon crystal right in the middle of the table.
The rep at James Allen assured me that even at under 7-10 inches this diamond is eye-clean, even from the sides.
What should I do? Should I take a pass? Should I take the plunge?

Thank you all for the help in advance!

Specifications below:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.08-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-697063
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104081598004-PLDQR.PDF

AGS#: 104081598004
Report Type: The Platinum Light Performance Diamond Quality® Document
Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.55 - 6.57 x 4.08 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: AGS 0.5 (E)
Clarity Grade: AGS 4 (VS2)
Carat Weight 1.081
Fluorescence: Negligible
Comments:

Light Performance: 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Table: 54.4%
Crown Angle: 35.1
Crown Height: 15.9%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.5% to 4.4%
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Pavilion Depth: 42.8%
Star Length: 49%
Lower Girdle Length: 76%
Total Depth: 62.2%
Culet: Pointed

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like a lovely diamond. Do you particularly want an E diamond? Have you looked at many other colours? I ask because it is driving the price up for the size. If you dropped down to a G or an eye clean SI1 you could afford a larger size.

I would ask to see the reflector images (idealscope) and hearts and arrows pictures which are normally there with the true hearts brand. Maybe they forgot to upload them.

ohitsjn

Rough_Rock
Hi gm89uk,

First off, thank you for taking the time to reply!

I talked to a rep about the idealscope images and since the department is closed they would have to email me the images on Monday. I swore I saw them before... but maybe everything is blending in from all the other diamonds I've looked at. I'll definitely post them when I get them!

I originally wanted a F VS1 because I was scared that anything lower would not be eye-clean and would possibly show some yellowing?
I pretty much wanted to play it safe to give me a piece of mind (I would need to trade size for that piece of mind since the budget is 10k). I'm also scared that since JA is an online site, that their G SI1 might not be eye-clean (not saying that they aren't reputable, I'm just picky)? I would hate to waste my time and JA's time and money to send me a diamond, only to have me send it right back (same with this E VS2). My scare stems from a PS forum that I read about where although it's a small percentage, there are VS2's that aren't necessarily eye-clean. That black crystal in the center is really bug me! :loopy:

I was especially drawn to this diamond because when I plugged the specifications into the Halloway Cut Adviser https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca,,, it gave me all excellence on light return, fire, scintillation, and spread! It's the first I've come across to give me all 4 as excellent! I'm just not sure if it's worth the trade off if you can see a crystal in the middle.

JA has assured me that you can't see it, but I'm not sure how biased that information is. If that diamond was right in front of me right now & I could inspect it up and down & not see a thing... I'd buy it in a heartbeat for fear I would let another diamond get away from me.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will likely not be able to see the inclusion.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would recommend you buy the stone loose and have it shipped to you - me personally, I often am closely inspecting my diamond, like from 4-6" away - JA is saying it is not visible at 7-10" away - however, it is quite possible *you* may see it, with your vision acuity and/or at the distance you might choose to closely look at it and/or your lighting conditions. If you can only see the inclusion rarely (or not at all), and otherwise are impressed with its performance, then it would be a keeper and you can decide on a setting. If you do see the inclusion and it bothers you (or may bother the person for whom it is intended), then return it and keep looking.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The resolving power of the human eye are objects around 0.1mm. If that stone is ~6.5mm across then that central crystal is <0.1mm across (measured with a make do digital ruler). Should be fine if the theory holds up.

You are unlikely to see yellow with a G diamond. Many people start with the exact same mindset but I would recommend you go to a local jewellers and look at lots of stones with different specifications under different lighting environment. You may find that you are colour sensitive and this is exactly what you want but without looking at real stones first you'll never know if you could be saving a significant amount / aiming for a bigger size.

bobby2175

Rough_Rock
I think marymm gave you the best advice. If you like this stone, purchase it and see it for yourself.

I went through the same thing. I was looking at a stone from another recommended vendor on PS, but it was an SI2 clarity. I was also told that it was eye clean from 8-10 inches. But when I went to see the stone in person, I was able to see the inclusions from a distance much greater than that...and it wasn't even close.

What I learned from that was that to make a decision that you will be comfortable with, you have to see it for yourself.

On color, I'm color sensitive and had an E or F in mind. But after reviewing several super ideal cut diamonds in person, I settled on a G. Although I could see some differences in color when viewed table down, it got much more difficult in real world conditions - I didn't see enough of a difference.

But again, it comes down to eye of the beholder.

Best of luck to you!

Bobby

ohitsjn

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Thank you for your wonderful insight.

I think I'll go and view some G diamonds today and request a side by side comparison with an E to see if it makes a difference in color.
It's worth considering since two of you suggested there really is not much of a difference between an F or G.

bobby2175, I could be over thinking it (and maybe I'm not as sensitive as I think) & I could be saving money/getting a bigger diamond like gm89uk said. If I happen to be more sensitive towards the color I'll go ahead and purchase the diamond loose as marymm advised and take a look at the inclusion.

Thank you again telephone89, gm89uk, marymm, and bobby2175 for taking the time to comment and guiding me towards a comfortable decision!! MUCH appreciated!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results