shape
carat
color
clarity

Possibly dumb question about replacing stone in ring

alpaca

Rough_Rock
Forgive my ignorance and dumb question. Is it possible to replace the center stone in an older prong setting? Can a jeweler bend back the prongs, pop out the stone and put a new one in its place? Or would the prongs just snap?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a dumb question. Whether or not the prongs can be opened and used as is depends on the condition of the prongs and the size (including depth) of the new stone. In some cases the prongs will need to be re-tipped if they are worn down or completely rebuilt. Your best bet would be to bring your setting to a jeweler and they can tell you what will need to be done and how much it will cost.

alpaca

Rough_Rock
Not a dumb question. Whether or not the prongs can be opened and used as is depends on the condition of the prongs and the size (including depth) of the new stone. In some cases the prongs will need to be re-tipped if they are worn down or completely rebuilt. Your best bet would be to bring your setting to a jeweler and they can tell you what will need to be done and how much it will cost.

Thanks so much, that makes sense!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m addition to the great info @YadaYadaYada has already given -

It also depends on the seats that were cut into the prongs to match the previous stone pavilion and crown angles. If what you are swapping it to doesn't really have the similar angles -
Even if the prongs aren’t worn or stressed and clearly can be reused - maybe it’s better to retip them anyways for proper seating to the replacement stone.

Sometimes a jeweler will let you know this and let you choose between those two levels of service /$.

If you’ve got decidedly old looking prongs (I mean the style) proactively ask what end look the jeweler will replace them with.
Been there and received disappointment with modern v prongs on old mine cut ring. Wah!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to add, try to find a jeweler who can do what you ask and not just say they can. Without a picture of the ring, we can't tell how delicate the prongs are, but you want a jeweler who can execute what you want. Ask if they have some examples of what they propose to you.

alpaca

Rough_Rock
Just to add, try to find a jeweler who can do what you ask and not just say they can. Without a picture of the ring, we can't tell how delicate the prongs are, but you want a jeweler who can execute what you want. Ask if they have some examples of what they propose to you.
Good tip, I probably wouldn't even have considered that. I just blindly trust. Ha ha! Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results