shape
carat
color
clarity

Possibly buying an OMC - What should I look out for?

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all!

For the longest time I have been craving an old cut. They aren't very popular where I live (small town South Africa) but every so often I see one from across a room or in a shopping mall and I get all weak in my knees and (according to my FI) I get a silly look on my face. Even now, as I sit here typing this, I remember how when I was a little girl I would be transfixed by "the rainbows falling out of people's rings". I'm a little older now and I think I finally understand what causes the rainbows - bigger, chunkier facets, right? If wrong, please tell me!

I won't bore you with the details of how I found him, but I have been in contact with a guy who lives in the city an hour and a half away from my small town. He has offered me 4 old cuts at what appears to be an amazing price. Of course, I will be careful, but at this stage I am cautiously optimistic.

So... Before rushing in to buy something that might be worthless, perhaps you clued up people could tell me what I should look out for? I am told he has 3 smaller stones he would throw in for free (!) if I bought a .55 which he conservatively estimates to be a J SI1. He thinks it is a cushion, but I suspect it might be an old mine cut. How would I tell the difference? Is there really a difference? What should I look out for?

Any tips, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results