shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible to modify platinum ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ZhenyaH

Rough_Rock
I have a lovely radiant solitaire in platinum. Solitaire looks lovely. However, I always wanted sidestones in channel setting and I can''t stop thinking about it. My fiance is okay with modifying the setting but not getting a new one. He feels that a new setting wouldn''t mean anything. (He''s so sentimental and romantic and I, so vain and materialistic?)

Anyway, my questions are:

1) Is it possible to "melt down" existing platinum band to create a new setting? It''s comfort fit cathedral.

2)If so, how expensive would this kind of service be? Would it be cheaper to just buy a new setting altogether?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if you have a custom ring made, it is unlikely that the jeweler will start with a "lump of metal", so reusing the material in the ring is not something I would call a straight forward option. Is it cheaper to buy a ready-made setting ? I don't know: it really depends on the brand and shop you choose, but a no-name setting will most likely be cheaper than a custom-made one. Prices will really vary alot with the style and the size & quality of the channel set stones. Have you considered any settings yet?

It seems like you are facing some uphill battle of ring-changing
2.gif
to start with. How about a channel set band next to the existing ring?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One "might" be able to add channel settings in place of the existing shank sides on your ring. A lot about the design is not known so it is difficult to say much. How about posting a digital photo? Maybe then someone will volunteer possible solutions.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Men are so sentimental! Have you considered leaving your ring as it is and getting a channel-set band to wear with it?

ZhenyaH

Rough_Rock
I considered just getting a wedding band in channel setting and together, they looked awful! I'd consider posting a pic but I don't have the ring with me to take a pic of (I'm currently deployed overseas and my fiance is keeping the ring safe.)

I don't want to get a wrap-around type of wedding band b/c next type I deploy, I want to be able to wear it separately.

It's a cathedral setting so that so the sides "rise" to "support" the prongs. (I'm sure I'm making this even more difficult by trying to describe what the ring looks like.)

Yeah, I'm facing an uphill battle. I want to do something about it before my wedding in July. So if you have any ideas, please let me know! Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you will need a band specially made to complement a cathedral setting. For example, some models have a "flat" top and/or are reised a bit to match the setting (not same height, just somewhat). The outer contour of the ring is not perfectly round, but this does not make the band non-wearable by itself.

I can't remember one on the net right now, but if you drop the suggestion at a jewelry shop they should know what to show you. These usualy come matched with cathedral settings...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results