shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible Peter Torraca Aqua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 11:58:35 AM
Author: vizsla
haha.. i stalked you and found your beaaaaauuutttiiffuullll ring :)
insomuch as i would never ask a woman her age.. i also would never ask how much she''d paid for her baubles... however, would this setting be in my price range??
2.gif

also, did brian gavin set the stone for you as well?
thanks so much!!!
The setting was more than $500. Yes, Brian did set the stone. I had some trouble with that. The first time the ring arrived it was a bit snug and it was made in 14K instead of 18K. They FedExed it back to them overnight at their expense. When I received it back, it had a tiny chip on the girdle. I never wore it, or dropped it so I know I did not chip it. They are convinced it happened during shipping. I''m not. But they were nice to deal with, and the ring is beautiful. Fortunately, the chip is so tiny no one but me knows it''s there. I think I would use them again despite this. I know colored stones can be tricky to set.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
thanks so much cind11! i really appreciate it!
i luuuuvvvv that setting! i may have to explore BGD... i also found a setting veerrryyy similar from LOGR. (thanks lauren ;-)

032a.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
and another angle - this particular one is for a 13mm stone so just a little bigger ;-)

032b.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
one more... thoughts?

032c.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really love that setting, which is why I was able to find it so quickly.
2.gif

I think the resizing on that setting should be fairly reasonable since there is no pave. Let us know what you decide!!!!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Love that setting, I''ve never seen it on their site before.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 12:36:39 PM
thanks so much cind11! i really appreciate it!
i luuuuvvvv that setting! i may have to explore BGD... i also found a setting veerrryyy similar from LOGR. (thanks lauren ;-)
He may start doing that setting in various shapes and sizes if it becomes popular enough. It is very pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cool. I might even try it out for one of my fun gemstones.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
The setting is very pretty, but is it comfortable to wear?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 5:30:15 PM
Author: simplysplendid
The setting is very pretty, but is it comfortable to wear?
That''s a good question. I have a rope band ring and I don''t feel the twisting metal at all but I don''t know if this will be any different.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
hi! well i rec''d my stone last night
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
... don''t shoot me but i don''t have any pictures today
6.gif
6.gif
but i promise to post some tonight. the stone is a smidge lighter than the first picture i posted, but still a *very* beautiful watery blue color. the cut is gorgeous and sparkled like mad in my kitchen last night. i definitely think it needs claw prongs to highlight the cut AND some diamond accents. i held it up next to a plain platinum band that i have AND my engagement ring... it just seemed to come alive next to some diamonds
3.gif
- so... any suggestions??? setting recommendations.

i pinky swear to post pictures as soon as i get home tonight.. hopefully it will be sunny to catch some of that sparkle... it definitely was the sparkliest (yes, totally a word) aqua i''ve ever seen
1.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to see that aqua - the initial pics were quite promising. As for setting, I''m also a huge fan of diamond accents - this is gonna be fun!

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
OK this is from sotherby's and - obviously - completely out of my price range
3.gif
2.gif
BUT the idea is there... i wouldn't mind a plain band with this style of head. has anyone seen something similar?

Sotheby12repost.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
back with pictures!

vizaqua2.png

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock

vizaqua1.png

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock

vizaqua4.png

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vizsla - it looks absoloutely beautiful!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Great aqua! Have fun choosing the setting!

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
what are your thoughts on this LOGR setting??
it has double prongs!

039c.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock

039d.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
any words of wisdom from those LOGR aficionados?

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
or this more classic look?

015sgrvrb.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hi vizsla - beautiful aqua! Now comes the fun part of setting it. What''s your finger size? I''ve got a fairly large finger, size 7, and that first setting you posted looks like a lot of ring, even for me, and I think it would detract from your gorgeous stone. I do like the halo style of the second one, but have you seen the profile on that one? It''s just a little blah in a prison-bar kind of way. It''s also made for a cushion, and you''ve got cut corners - maybe they could modify it though. I''m also not sure if that one would be deep enough, but again, you could certainly ask.

What do you think about this one?

asscher logr.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
ohh i like that setting.... i know what you mean about the profile on that halo - it's a little 'bleh'. i was having trouble navigating LOGR settings that would accommodate my stone... i was looking at asscher type settings, but peter has it listed as a cushion.. so i was confused. should i look at emerald settings?

and i agree, that first setting is a little 'busy'. i like a slightly wider/split band b/c it's going to be worn on my right hand, and i don't really want it to look like an engagement ring.

i thought if the band was a little more 'substantial' it would look better.. but i'm such a novice at this i really have no clue... in fact, my engagement/wedding rings are just bands... i don't own a large stone setting at all.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2009 3:15:43 PM
ohh i like that setting.... i know what you mean about the profile on that halo - it''s a little ''bleh''. i was having trouble navigating LOGR settings that would accommodate my stone... i was looking at asscher type settings, but peter has it listed as a cushion.. so i was confused. should i look at emerald settings?

and i agree, that first setting is a little ''busy''. i like a slightly wider/split band b/c it''s going to be worn on my right hand, and i don''t really want it to look like an engagement ring.

i thought if the band was a little more ''substantial'' it would look better.. but i''m such a novice at this i really have no clue... in fact, my engagement/wedding rings are just bands... i don''t own a large stone setting at all.
Ask LOGR what the band width is, and if it tapers (looks like it might just a little), ask for a measurement closest to the stone and also what the narrowest width is. And yes, LOGR doesn''t have settings listed as "asscher", so look for emerald shapes and always keep in mind that you might be able to have them customized for your square stone. I just thought of another setting - let me see if I can find it.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
What about this one? It actually has straight sides, and it has wide prongs for cut corners. It says it's for an 8-9mm stone. I have this setting for a round, and the sides are lovely - it's in my umbalite garnet thread, if you want to see pics. I was actually thinking about this setting for one of my cushions, so if you get it, I will be very jealous!

LOGR emerald.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellantani,
That’s a very pretty setting. Lots of diamonds and the design is visually a notch up from the usual halos.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
so, after your garnet was set, were you happy with the setting?? even after the prong snafu?

i do really like that setting. would you recommend upgrading the diamonds?

why do i find it so hard to navigate thru LOGR settings??
3.gif

so this one is similar.. but it''s for an oval.. generally speaking, is there any way this could be modified for my stone without costing an arm and a leg... i can take it if you think not
2.gif

147a.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2009 4:17:30 PM
so, after your garnet was set, were you happy with the setting?? even after the prong snafu?

i do really like that setting. would you recommend upgrading the diamonds?

why do i find it so hard to navigate thru LOGR settings??
3.gif

so this one is similar.. but it''s for an oval.. generally speaking, is there any way this could be modified for my stone without costing an arm and a leg... i can take it if you think not
2.gif
I am still happy with the setting - it''s quite a "wow" setting, and with a colored stone, it certainly doesn''t look e-ring-ish. The prong snafu is STILL being worked out - I just walked in the door from having taken it back to the jewelers. However, I wouldn''t be too alarmed over my ring issues - it was a tougher stone to set (9 sided), and it was the designer who tried to set it, not the usual benchman.

I have upgraded the diamonds on every LOGR setting I have, and I will probably continue to do so. If I were to do that setting again, I would be tempted to upgrade the gold too, but some people would argue that it''s all rhodium plated, so there would be no visable difference. I can only say that my 18k setting looks whiter and less gray than my 14k settings. I just wonder if that makes a slight difference in how the diamonds look too. I''ll also say that LOGR can sometimes be a little inconsistant with their quality, but in my experience, they''ve always been willing to accept a return, minus any non-refundable fees, of course.

When searching LOGR auctions, I click on "see other auctions" so their entire inventory comes up. Then I type either a shape (cushion, round, etc) or a size (8mm or 7x9mm, etc) into the search bar. Occasionally, a size might be listed as 10x10mm, instead of just 10mm, so keep that in mind.

I like that oval setting, and have it in my saved file. Funny thing is, notice how the halo is round, but the basket is oval - there''s more space between the basket and halo on the east/west sides. Anyway, I think I asked them about customizing the shape once, and I think they could do it, but it would have cost a lot. Also, if you see the profile of that setting, it''s very low, and your cushion might be too deep. Any of these questions are worth asking - I ask a lot, and he''s usually pretty good about getting back to me in a day or two.

Okay, I''ll stop jabbering on now.
20.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/10/2009 2:57:52 PM
Author: cellentani
Hi vizsla - beautiful aqua! Now comes the fun part of setting it. What''s your finger size? I''ve got a fairly large finger, size 7, and that first setting you posted looks like a lot of ring, even for me, and I think it would detract from your gorgeous stone. I do like the halo style of the second one, but have you seen the profile on that one? It''s just a little blah in a prison-bar kind of way. It''s also made for a cushion, and you''ve got cut corners - maybe they could modify it though. I''m also not sure if that one would be deep enough, but again, you could certainly ask.

What do you think about this one?
I really like this setting because the closed back will help give the aqua deeper color.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results