shape
carat
color
clarity

Portuguese 19.2k Gold Cross

iridescentfire7

Rough_Rock
I thought you guys would find this interesting. It’s a vintage gold cross made in Portugal. The stones are tourmalines and has handmade details throughout, including braided gold around each setting.

Something interesting to note is that Portugal had their own gold mixture, 19.2k (800/1000) parts gold. So 5% greater gold content than 18k. Not exactly sure why this was started, but it’s a point of pride for them. They scoff at anything lower than 18k; forget about the U.K.’s standard of 9k lol.

I am American (born and raised) but Im also part Portuguese/my family owns property in Portugal, so occasionally I find gems like these at little mom & pop jewellery stores throughout the country.

IMG_3705.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3704.jpeg
    IMG_3704.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3589.jpeg
    IMG_3589.jpeg
    425.5 KB · Views: 11

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my screen pales it out, does it look more yellow that 18K ?
it is very nice btw

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

iridescentfire7

Rough_Rock
my screen pales it out, does it look more yellow that 18K ?
it is very nice btw

Its actually kind of a rosy yellow. Its not quite true yellow gold nor rose gold, but an in-between. Apparently, this is pretty common with higher carat vintage pieces.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! Portugal is so magic, one of my favorite countries.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to Lisbon for a week soon and am really looking forward to some jewelry window shopping!

iridescentfire7

Rough_Rock
In Lisbon, I recommend ‘Joalharia Do Carmo’. I love their display cases and decor, it’s beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results