shape
carat
color
clarity

Porosity/defects in cast ring--opinions?

holeyjumpin

Rough_Rock
Apologies in advance for my first post being a request for help, but after lurking this problem, I still find myself in need of some expert advice.

I had a cast engagement ring made and have spotted some defects after receiving it. There is a bit of porosity on the base of the shank (18kt yellow gold), and quite a bit of imperfection (also porosity?) where the prongs meet the rail (platinum head).

Below are photos under a 60x loupe.

Being inexperienced, I'm just trying to figure out whether or not I should be bothered by this. In other words, what are realistic expectations for a cast ring?

Another wrinkle is that the jeweler is across the country from me, and I'm not eager to deal with back-and-forth shipping for what I gather would be a repair (or perhaps recasting) with uncertain results.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

image_1318.jpg

image_1319.jpg

image_1320.jpg

image_1321.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you reached out to the vendor with your photos? I'd be interested in hearing what they say. Are you also well within an exchange or return period?

I'm not sure at what magnitude people normally quality check metals under. I hope an expert can chime in about what we are seeing in these pics.

holeyjumpin

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1481867316|4107689 said:
Have you reached out to the vendor with your photos? I'd be interested in hearing what they say. Are you also well within an exchange or return period?

I'm not sure at what magnitude people normally quality check metals under. I hope an expert can chime in about what we are seeing in these pics.

I haven't reached out to them yet, since I wanted to get outside input on whether I'm being too picky.

It was based on a custom design, so no returns, but I'm well within their satisfaction guaranteed period. They are a small, reputable B&M shop with an online presence, and I'm optimistic they'd work to make me happy if this is a problem.

I magnified to 60x for photo purposes, but all spots are visible without magnification when looking carefully.

Expert opinions would be very helpful indeed!

holeyjumpin

Rough_Rock
Bump...any insight appreciated!

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I am having a custom ring made right now, in platinum. I got an email from the jeweler/designer a few days ago apologizing for a delay. She was having it recast because of a small area of porosity on the shank. It sounds like something that happens frequently and it's not such a huge deal to recast it. However if they have gone ahead and done all the finishing and polishing and stone setting, all that work is wasted. If it really can be seen with the naked eye I would want it recast. Most jewelry has defects that can be seen under magnification (and 60X is a LOT of magnification!) but has no effect on durability or beauty in normal day to day wear. But if I could see it I would be bothered, I think. Lucky for me I'm OLD and close up vision is not what it used to be :angel:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Send the vendor your photographs. I know it's a pain in the backside to be shipping back & forth, but I am not a fan or porosity.

My full platinum eternity ring went off round 4 times in less than 4 years. When it was x-rayed it showed porosity in the metal leaving it weak & vulnerable. It ended up being completely re-made by a different jeweller. I also recall when I had my custom setting made for my solitaire it got delayed because the jeweller said the setting was showing signs of porosity & he wasn't happy & needed to start all over again. That one was also x-rayed at his own expense when finished, to confirm there was no weakness.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn't a design issue but a workmanship issue. I would definitely reach out to the vendor and email the shop those pictures.

holeyjumpin

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much, all. I've e-mailed the photos to the vendor and will be sending the ring back to be fixed.

Fingers crossed for attempt #2!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1482169418|4108367 said:
This isn't a design issue but a workmanship issue. I would definitely reach out to the vendor and email the shop those pictures.
This. It will lead to more issues later, so I am glad you're sending it in for a redo. It's worth it to do it now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results