shape
carat
color
clarity

Popularity of K Colored Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been noticing more and more vendors are offering them along with the "J''s" as a nice affordable alternative as long as it''s well cut. I do notice the B&M stores I''ve walked into still maintain the attitude of getting something between a D to G. How warm does a "K" get and do people notice?

And some old threads mention putting a warm stone like that in yellow gold instead of platinum or white gold, however, has this attitude changed over the years?

Does anyone know where the threads of the recently posted "K" stones are?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Snuggles,

I think you should set your diamond in whatever metal you prefer - I''m not sure of the current thinking on how to off-set warmness in stones, it does seem to often differ. I just chose YG because I prefer it.

Here is my thread with lots of pics of my K for you https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wonderful-e-ring-upgrade-thankyou.89827/page-2

No, no one has ever guessed or noticed the colour of my stone nor asked me if it is a lower colour - I think if you''re looking at ideal cut diamonds, the performance masks alot of any perceived colour.

I wouldn''t go for a J/K if you really love the whiteness of a D - but if you''re open to the slight warmth they have, I think they''re a great choice
1.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love K diamonds. I've owned several ideal cut K diamonds, and no one has ever noticed the color. I set all of mine in white metal, and they've looked fine.

Here's a photo of two loose K stones over a white sheet of paper.

idealKs.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a pretty pic....
30.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, thanks, Lorelei!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2009 12:35:12 AM
Author:snuggles1
I''ve been noticing more and more vendors are offering them along with the ''J''s'' as a nice affordable alternative as long as it''s well cut. I do notice the B&M stores I''ve walked into still maintain the attitude of getting something between a D to G. How warm does a ''K'' get and do people notice?

And some old threads mention putting a warm stone like that in yellow gold instead of platinum or white gold, however, has this attitude changed over the years?

Does anyone know where the threads of the recently posted ''K'' stones are?
My colleague wears her princess (L-colour) in white gold.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 4:37:06 AM
Author: Lorelei
Thats a pretty pic....
30.gif
Ditto, this is a very pretty peeture of some very nice K''s ! I love K''s..are these babies yours Kim?!

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I am considering several K's right now. Trying to narrow it down to "the one" In my opinion it is alot of beautiful bling for your buck and I LUV that!!!

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
WOW!
30.gif

Arjunjane, beautiful ring!

Kim N, I would never guessed "K" on the white paper!

When did K''s start getting popular? I remember when I bought my "I" I was worried it was too warm, then I started looking around for a pendant and I found few "J" and "K" colors available, but now I''m finding most places will carry a well cut "J" and "K".

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 2:22:47 AM
Author: Kim N
I love K diamonds. I've owned several ideal cut K diamonds, and no one has ever noticed the color. I set all of mine in white metal, and they've looked fine.

Here's a photo of two loose K stones over a white sheet of paper.
Wow! What gorgeous diamonds!!!!
30.gif

I have just bought an M coloured Infinity diamond. I am setting it in yellow gold and a platinum head. Wink told me that it would look gorgeous in yellow or white metal. I chose yellow as my personal preference for this piece.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:28:34 AM
Author: snuggles1
WOW!
30.gif

Arjunjane, beautiful ring!

Kim N, I would never guessed ''K'' on the white paper!

When did K''s start getting popular? I remember when I bought my ''I'' I was worried it was too warm, then I started looking around for a pendant and I found few ''J'' and ''K'' colors available, but now I''m finding most places will carry a well cut ''J'' and ''K''.
I, too, worried when I received my first "I" diamond that it would be too yellow. I now have an Ideal cut "J" and it is just as white if not whiter than my old "I" stone, and no one ever guesses that it is a "J". I wouldn''t hesitate to buy an I deal cut K as well...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your ring is so gorgeous Coati!
30.gif
30.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 12:14:00 PM
Author: Maisie
30.gif
30.gif

Thank you hon! I can''t wait to see yours!
30.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 12:17:30 PM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 2/19/2009 12:14:00 PM
30.gif
30.gif

Thank you hon! I can''t wait to see yours!
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
30.gif
36.gif

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
Wow Coati! What a unique and beautiful setting! My jaw is on the ground. Your jeweler has beautiful work on his site!

So, I am pretty convinced on the K''s now being a great deal. Thanks everyone!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2009 6:45:00 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Date: 2/19/2009 12:35:12 AM
Author:snuggles1
I''ve been noticing more and more vendors are offering them along with the ''J''s'' as a nice affordable alternative as long as it''s well cut. I do notice the B&M stores I''ve walked into still maintain the attitude of getting something between a D to G. How warm does a ''K'' get and do people notice?

Does anyone know where the threads of the recently posted ''K'' stones are?
My colleague wears her princess (L-colour) in white gold.
Yes, and even when she asks diamontaires with many years experience to judge the color, NO ONE has ever said so low!

Wink

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My K was a stretch for me, but it soon became a non-issue really. It faces up white, and that''s what everyone sees. It definitely has colour from the side, but I''m the only one who ever sees that. Mine is a very good cut too, although not ideal. I think when you go with a top notch cut, colour is much less a consideration. Jewellery stores will always push higher colours (along with bad cuts and low clarity) just because the average consumer isn''t that knowledgeable. I think more people are taking the time to educate themselves now though, and are looking for the best for their dollar. That can always be found in lower colour/clarity + top notch cut.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree Lyra. My first diamond was a G. I wanted higher colour than that but couldn''t afford it. Now I am more educated I am happy to have a bigger diamond with lower colour. Cut is my priority now.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
My 2.47 RB was originally purchased as a J with a worthless certificate. After becoming educated on Pricescope and determining it was steep/deep I sent it to Brian Gavin for a recut, he guessed it as an L or even M. After the recut, AGS gave it a K, and with strong blue flourescence too!

Heres my 2.10 K with the extreme makeover
30.gif

Ring-004a.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 3:15:13 PM
Author: shady71
My 2.47 RB was originally purchased as a J with a worthless certificate. After becoming educated on Pricescope and determining it was steep/deep I sent it to Brian Gavin for a recut, he guessed it as an L or even M. After the recut, AGS gave it a K, and with strong blue flourescence too!

Heres my 2.10 K with the extreme makeover
30.gif
Shady that diamond is stunning!!!
30.gif

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 3:23:55 PM

30.gif
Thanks Maisie, I could not be happier with it!! Brian did an amazing job with the recut... almost makes me want to haunt the consignment and pawn shops looking for ugly diamonds to send to him to transform
31.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 4:43:39 PM
Author: shady71

Date: 2/19/2009 3:23:55 PM

30.gif
Thanks Maisie, I could not be happier with it!! Brian did an amazing job with the recut... almost makes me want to haunt the consignment and pawn shops looking for ugly diamonds to send to him to transform
31.gif
Yes sort of like Extreme Makeover.. but for diamonds!!
36.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of people wearing K or lower colored stones that don''t know it.
A lot of them get sent to soft labs and sold as i/j and sometimes even h or g.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 6:33:47 PM
Author: strmrdr
There are a lot of people wearing K or lower colored stones that don''t know it.
Just what I was thinking. How many of those B&M stores selling D to G diamonds would be graded F to I or more by GIA
2.gif

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 7:15:08 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Date: 2/19/2009 6:33:47 PM

Author: strmrdr

There are a lot of people wearing K or lower colored stones that don't know it.

Just what I was thinking. How many of those B&M stores selling D to G diamonds would be graded F to I or more by GIA
2.gif

That makes sense now. I walked into a B&M store and saw a stone and asked if it was a "L" or around that range since it was so yellow in the light, but it was an "I" or something from a lab I've never heard of. I was surprised.

ETA. And now that I think of it, it wasn't very well cut, so perhaps the color was "trapped" in the stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results