shape
carat
color
clarity

Poor rocket scientist

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

THE777

Rough_Rock
Greetings to everyone,
Yes indeed, A scientist makes a lousy businessman.
I can only afford $5,000-6,000 for a solitaire, what can I get or what should I get in terms of size/cut/color/clarity/certificate...?
It takes more than a rocket scientist to figure this out :)

Thanks
Mark

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mark! Welcome to PS!

Do you know what shape (round, princess, pear, etc.) your girlfriend likes?

tmcnally

Rough_Rock
I'm having this delivered tomorrow from Whiteflash for about $5,750! 14k white gold.

ThomasMcNally_1204.jpg

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-47789.htm

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 12:46:13 AM
Author:THE777
Greetings to everyone,
Yes indeed, A scientist makes a lousy businessman.
I can only afford $5,000-6,000 for a solitaire, what can I get or what should I get in terms of size/cut/color/clarity/certificate...?
It takes more than a rocket scientist to figure this out :)

Thanks
Mark
Welcome to PS!!!
35.gif
Make sure to put CUT on the top of your list. A well cut diamond is key to buying a beautiful stone. Read the tutorials on here, they are very helpful. You have a very nice budget, and should be able to get a gorgeous ring. Is your budget for the stone and the setting. Do you have an idea of what your girlfriend wants?? Gotta give us a little more info, we aren''t mind readers LOL!!!!
1.gif
3.gif

THE777

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the wonderful and quick feedback.
Yes, I am looking for a round/ideal cut.
Can $5,000-6,000 get me a certified/mounted 1ct SI1/VS2 in G or F color somewhere?

Thanks for your help.
Mark

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 3:43:08 PM
Author: lehcarm
Date: 12/5/2006 11:06:22 AM

Author: the other Jake

definately...

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=866262

what kind of setting are you thinking?

Jake,

DId you take a look at the actual photo of this stone. I looks like it should be graded worse than an SI1. I would not consider it eye clean. What do you think?

There definitely seems to be a black mark on the table; however, the other inclusions on the side seem to be coverable by a prong.

As a note about the overall picture, I asked something similar in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brown-facets-in-rb.54026/

The stone Jake suggested and the one I asked about in the above thread seem to have the same photographic issues. I don't think the stone actually looks as bad as it does in the photo - otherwise, it would not have even earned an SI1 rating from GIA (who are generally pretty strict on grading standards).

Perhaps someone should alert James Allen about these photographing issues? It makes their stones look bad...

One more thing, can someone tell me how to link to another page without posting the actual thread? I see other people who post words that, when clicked upon, bring you to the proper page. Thanks!

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Here is a closer pic of the stone...does anyone else think there is something off-kilter about this photo?

RE430PIC.JPG

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Maybe he might have to drop down to an H. I didn''t closely examine the stone (My bad)... good catch

thats why I am not an ideal rock
1.gif
Seriously though, anyone that reads my posts- please don''t think that I think I know what I''m talking about. Does that even make sense!? Basically I''m saying that I''m not an expert nor do I consider myself one

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 3:54:57 PM
Author: Bunnifer

There definitely seems to be a black mark on the table; however, the other inclusions on the side seem to be coverable by a prong.

As a note about the overall picture, I asked something similar in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brown-facets-in-rb.54026/

The stone Jake suggested and the one I asked about in the above thread seem to have the same photographic issues. I don''t think the stone actually looks as bad as it does in the photo - otherwise, it would not have even earned an SI1 rating from GIA (who are generally pretty strict on grading standards).

Perhaps someone should alert James Allen about these photographing issues? It makes their stones look bad...

One more thing, can someone tell me how to link to another page without posting the actual thread? I see other people who post words that, when clicked upon, bring you to the proper page. Thanks!
Theres a little button that looks like a chain that says "insert link" when the mouse scrolls over on the message toolbar when you''re typing a message. Click it then a window will pop up. Paste in the link text in the top part of the box and write what you want the text to say in the bottom part.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2006 5:01:41 PM
1.01 F SI-1 for $4,976 plus its AGS

Umm... not sure this stone is the right answer. The shallow pavilion angle might pose a problem. The experts will have to chime in and give you more technical stuff because I''m afraid that I know only enough to be dangerous...

Now that I''ve peed on your parade it''s only fair that I help. Let me see if I can find a few good stones and I''ll post the links.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another one, score of 1.3. Again, table of 57.

link

ETA: Never mind, the price on this on is already 6K, so no $ left for a setting... I'll keep looking.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THE -- It''s a good thing Julian came to the rescue there because I sure wasn''t doing you any good. I should stick with the topics that I know something about, LOL!

E B

Ideal_Rock

It looks a little deep, no?

This might also be a good choice, Mark. It's almost a carat and in your color/clarity range (and way under budget!):

.91 G, SI1 0.9 HCA $4420

Pop it in a simple white gold solitaire....

Classic Solitaire 18KWG ($225)

...and if she wants to change settings, you still have quite a bit to put towards one she chooses herself.

Just a thought!
2.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extra depth is in the girdle.

Spreads 3% less than a Tolk; so a .98 ct round. No big deal. You're not going to find many .98 rounds, anyway.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Julie,

Where did you find those last 2 from WF? They''re not showing up on the search by cut db.

Otherwise...

Date: 12/5/2006 5:01:41 PM
1.01 F SI-1 for $4,976 plus its AGS
This one still does seem like a possiblity to me. Maybe Julies or others are better, check em out...but this one has some almost FIC attributes, and while short on brilliance, according to HCA, is in he "zone."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results