shape
carat
color
clarity

Pools of Light

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I think the biggest thing to watch out for when buying POL is that it is actually made of natural quartz. I have seen many advertised as POL but they are either drilled or made of man made glass/crystal. Real ones are made of natural clear quartz. There is a test I read about to check- when reading newsprint through the bead the print should be flipped upside down. Not sure if that is 100% accurate.

I read about that too, but sometimes glass or crystal can have the same effect, but the resulting image is not as sharp? And yes, if it's drilled- that's a no no. I've seen plenty of listings where they appear to be just clear beads being called POL.

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
I was obsessed with finding a POL necklace about 6 years ago. I finally found one and I love it! Now that they have become so expensive, I'm apprehensive about wearing it as much as I used to (delicate due to age). It's approx 31 inches with 40 orbs - so awesome when the orbs catch the sunshine. I like the smooth feel of the orbs against the neck - they absorb heat from contact with your skin and also from the sun.

I saw a necklace for sale (I think Rubylane) where the orbs were wrapped in stars instead of the more common floral theme. It was incredible - and about 5K USD IIRC. :eek-2:

It's been snowy, wintery and drab here, but here a few photos.
(the flipped image is of the evergreen tree in the front yard)

IMG-9040.jpg IMG-9045.jpg IMG-9050.jpg IMG-9059.jpg

Last edited:

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Happy to report that my little pool arrived and it looks amazing in person. The detailing is very delicate and intricate. The chain is obviously new, but I'd like to believe that a repro wouldn't be this detailed. But if it is, it's still a beautiful little necklace. Smaller than Ithought, but even better because I dont like clunky jewelry.
20200218_133053.jpg

20200218_133013.jpg

20200218_134139.jpg

Neck shots to come later!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy to report that my little pool arrived and it looks amazing in person. The detailing is very delicate and intricate. The chain is obviously new, but I'd like to believe that a repro wouldn't be this detailed. But if it is, it's still a beautiful little necklace. Smaller than Ithought, but even better because I dont like clunky jewelry.
20200218_133053.jpg

20200218_133013.jpg

20200218_134139.jpg

Its so beautiful !
Great find :appl:

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
20200218_133053.jpg

20200218_133013.jpg

20200218_134139.jpg

I think there are a number of sellers online who have taken original necklaces apart, removed one of the rings that would have connected it to the next bead, and made pendants out of them. If you do the math, breaking a necklace and selling two dozen single orb pendants will net a lot more than selling a single intact necklace. So your orb may be an antique that was from a dismantled strand. It’s lovely. Enjoy it!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I think there are a number of sellers online who have taken original necklaces apart, removed one of the rings that would have connected it to the next bead, and made pendants out of them. If you do the math, breaking a necklace and selling two dozen single orb pendants will net a lot more than selling a single intact necklace. So your orb may be an antique that was from a dismantled strand. It’s lovely. Enjoy it!

That is so true! But also a bit of a shame, I wouldn't have it in me to dismantle a piece like that. I won't complain about it though :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is so true! But also a bit of a shame, I wouldn't have it in me to dismantle a piece like that. I won't complain about it though :)

At least the finished piece is georgouse
I have a set of cherry amber - one of two made from an opera length necklase
the findings on the braclette are cheap gold plated (or worse) and the earings are just butt ugly
im hoping to get it strung back into a full necklase - all be in half of what it once was

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
@Rubymal Congratulations on your find - it’s beautiful! The orb/wrapping looks consistent with an original. As a single or multiple, the orbs are such cool pieces of history.
I hope you really enjoy wearing it! =)2

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Now I’m obsessing for reals... I want one...

Join the pools of light club.. you know you want to ;-)

I stumbled across these online when I was obsessing over a moonstone ring I saw at an antique fair. I knew I wouldn't forget these little pools once I learned about them.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is not the most refined but the price was right so I bought this......

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock

That is super cute! And for that price, cant go wrong.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reassurance @Rubymal, the POL I really want is on Etsy but is significantly more and not in the budget so thought this was a good compromise.

There are quite a few budget friendly options on EBay right now, this is cute for someone who loves horses:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful picture! Your skin is flawless @Rubymal!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
These things play with light in a way diamonds cannot & the two sure do work together [nts]

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Be forewarned! These suckers can hurt lol! I wore my full strand on Wednesday and had my hair up because I live in Arizona and it was close to 80 degrees out. I stepped out of my office at lunch to go across the street and while waiting to cross, I literally jumped because I thought something was biting my neck. It was my necklace! In just about 30 seconds, the sun hitting the orbs was enough to concentrate the rays like tiny magnifying glasses lol. I had a lovely row of red dots across the back and side of my neck. I quickly pulled my hair down and all was well but heads up!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be forewarned! These suckers can hurt lol! I wore my full strand on Wednesday and had my hair up because I live in Arizona and it was close to 80 degrees out. I stepped out of my office at lunch to go across the street and while waiting to cross, I literally jumped because I thought something was biting my neck. It was my necklace! In just about 30 seconds, the sun hitting the orbs was enough to concentrate the rays like tiny magnifying glasses lol. I had a lovely row of red dots across the back and side of my neck. I quickly pulled my hair down and all was well but heads up!

Wow! Thats crazy!
Sometimes when I'm baking, and I open the oven door to look in, the gold necklace I'm wearing will suddenly get super hot and sting my neck!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stephaneeeee!
Yay! This price is phenomenal!!
Good find!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ouch !
Sounds like its a winter necklase
Imangine what it would be like in the summer !

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, my EBay find arrived today! Best pictures I could get after dark but I'm happy to own one of these!

IMG_7747.JPG

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

IMG_7746.JPG

IMG_7739.JPG

Andy Tan

Rough_Rock
The transparent circular shapes are mesmerising and like a part of history! I can see it on Chanel runways 50 years ago! :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rubymal Thank you so much for starting this thread!!

I was looking for a bracelet that would work with a ring I have - the ring is silver over gold, and everything I tried looked laughably anachronistic.

I actually spent a little while chasing a Pools of Light bracelet back... We were in California so must’ve been 2009, 2010? Maybe around the time @Keeliamira got hers. Bought one, it arrived damaged beyond redemption, finally got my money back, and over time forgot about the whole subject.

Fast forward a decade... I found this thread, and re-discovered Pools of Light, and imagined that the bracelet I once wanted would be perfect with this ring. It just arrived today :bigsmile:

The clasp is a chunky little thing marked “sterling”. I’m confident it’s not original to the motifs but it fits the aesthetic. The orbs are all undrilled and those floral bands are magical - the orbs rotate but none will budge out of place at all! The wide ring is the one I wanted a mate for ::) it’s by MC2. I love them together!

91D92EB8-0C7B-4A57-9A6E-ADD941A9863A.jpeg

4A2284AA-FCEF-44A9-A9CB-C5C26629F41A.jpeg

AE45DC48-CC53-4A77-B6B1-42B644870C2A.jpeg

Last edited:

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock

I was looking for a bracelet that would work with a ring I have - the ring is silver over gold, and everything I tried looked laughably anachronistic.

I actually spent a little while chasing a Pools of Light bracelet back... We were in California so must’ve been 2009, 2010? Maybe around the time @Keeliamira got hers. Bought one, it arrived damaged beyond redemption, finally got my money back, and over time forgot about the whole subject.

Fast forward a decade... I found this thread, and re-discovered Pools of Light, and imagined that the bracelet I once wanted would be perfect with this ring. It just arrived today :bigsmile:

The clasp is a chunky little thing marked “sterling”. I’m confident it’s not original to the motifs but it fits the aesthetic. The orbs are all undrilled and those floral bands are magical - the orbs rotate but none will budge out of place at all! The wide ring is the one I wanted a mate for ::) it’s by MC2. I love them together!

Hooray! I'm so glad to hear you found your pools of light, @yssie ! It looks absolutely beautiful with your ring. I do agree, they pair so well together. Man, now I'm wondering...do I need a bracelet too? :D

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
@yssie Awesome! It looks gorgeous on your wrist! I find it hard to resist rotating the orbs in my necklace; soothing to spin them... What size are the orbs In your bracelet? They look big on your wrist.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

They are memorizing
If i wore them whole drinking id dribe off the road because id be looking at my wrist all the time

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie Awesome! It looks gorgeous on your wrist! I find it hard to resist rotating the orbs in my necklace; soothing to spin them... What size are the orbs In your bracelet? They look big on your wrist.

They're 12mm - big!! I'd have gone smaller but availability (at not-completely-insane prices) was a challenge :oops2:

Edit - just measured, they’re actually 14.10-14.15mm - half an inch. Bigger than I thought!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results