shape
carat
color
clarity

Pools of Light Necklaces - actually Art Deco?

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I have long had my eye on a vendor that sells pools of light necklaces in colors that I haven't seen from anyone else: blue, green, rutilated quartz and star rose quartz, for example. It's a red flag to me that I really have never seen any of these variations anywhere else. I politely messaged the vendor asking how she knew these pieces were actually antique, and she sent me a pretty rude response, which made me disinclined to make a purchase. I am nevertheless interested in hearing the PS opinion on whether or not these pieces are as advertised or a more recent creation.

97A7B849-2D88-4D22-B495-25F1DF2FF1FF.jpeg 562766BD-7226-419F-B249-354E523DAF1F.jpeg 923744DA-BE1D-428D-9CF5-4BFB5CEB301A.jpeg D642A306-C4A0-4B16-901D-2ED8F8D269FB.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert on these but have also never seen these necklaces in colored variations. The fact that she was rude when you inquired it a huge red flag. Just curious if she is selling these at a comparable price to an antique pools of light or higher?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for it being unusual to see all those variations. I don’t see many for sale, and when I have it’s been rock crystal or moonstone.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I would say prices are comparable. The thing is, I haven't seen variations like this as modern pieces either. The selection alone is suspect because I've never seen a vendor with more than two of these available and she's had a bunch for years - although only ever one in green.

I am no expert on these but have also never seen these necklaces in colored variations. The fact that she was rude when you inquired it a huge red flag. Just curious if she is selling these at a comparable price to an antique pools of light or higher?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Or, she found a talented jeweler who makes some beautiful necklaces in an art deco style, which I'm more inclined to believe. There are many wonderful reproductions out there.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I liked the aesthetic and the price was reasonable, I might buy it. However the attitude from the seller would put me off. Of course this would only work if you are okay with a possible repro.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it might also be because most sellers won’t call the glass/other ones “pools of light” - that term is generally reserved for clear undrilled rock crystal quartz.

But wrapping spheres of other materials - usually coloured glass, I’ve seen onyx and other stones though! - was very common. Art deco and art deco inspo/revival later on.

So they could be genuine, and one reason you haven’t seen many from other vendors is because those other vendors wouldn’t have applied the term “pools of light” to them…

Could also be flat out repro. Genuine antiques run in the thousands.

If you aren’t comfy buying from this vendor then that’s an easy decision IMO.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
If you can find similar examples to what I've posted here, I'd love to see them!

I think it might also be because most sellers won’t call the glass/other ones “pools of light” - that term is generally reserved for clear undrilled rock crystal quartz.

But wrapping spheres of other materials - usually coloured glass, I’ve seen onyx and other stones though! - was very common. Art deco and art deco inspo/revival later on.

So they could be genuine, and one reason you haven’t seen many from other vendors is because those other vendors wouldn’t have applied the term “pools of light” to them…

Could also be flat out repro. Genuine antiques run in the thousands.

If you aren’t comfy buying from this vendor then that’s an easy decision IMO.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll find some later on my laptop :bigsmile: I went through a similar thought exercise when I was buying my own bracelet ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rock crystal with nontraditional wrapping (gold gilded brass rather than sterling)
https://boylerpf.com/en-de/products...ock-crystal-necklace-2?variant=39951556378713

I wouldn’t call this pools of light even if it is genuinely vintage

I believe it’s genuine vintage. I wouldn’t call it pools of light

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
The second link is to the blue necklace I referenced. But the third is perhaps proof that variations can exist.

Rock crystal with nontraditional wrapping (gold gilded brass rather than sterling)
https://boylerpf.com/en-de/products...ock-crystal-necklace-2?variant=39951556378713

I wouldn’t call this pools of light even if it is genuinely vintage

I believe it’s genuine vintage. I wouldn’t call it pools of light

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just what I found on a quick search. I don’t have my old comps handy, my search was several years ago. I’m sure you can find others if you search glass pools of light, green pools of light, etc.; sometimes listings that aren’t titled pools of light will show up even if they’ve got those words in the description.

Good luck with your hunt!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have long had my eye on a vendor that sells pools of light necklaces in colors that I haven't seen from anyone else: blue, green, rutilated quartz and star rose quartz, for example. It's a red flag to me that I really have never seen any of these variations anywhere else. I politely messaged the vendor asking how she knew these pieces were actually antique, and she sent me a pretty rude response, which made me disinclined to make a purchase. I am nevertheless interested in hearing the PS opinion on whether or not these pieces are as advertised or a more recent creation.

97A7B849-2D88-4D22-B495-25F1DF2FF1FF.jpeg 562766BD-7226-419F-B249-354E523DAF1F.jpeg 923744DA-BE1D-428D-9CF5-4BFB5CEB301A.jpeg D642A306-C4A0-4B16-901D-2ED8F8D269FB.jpeg

just enquiring how you got on
i missed this thread at the time

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results