shape
carat
color
clarity

Pool Heaters?

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
I'm looking for an in ground pool heater. What do you have and what do you recommend? I have looked at the Pentair 125,000 BTU and the Hayward 140,000 BTU.
In my research is appears that heat pumps are more cost efficient, but don't heat the pool as quickly as gas. They are also not good when the weather is extremely cold (I don't want to swim in the winter anyways)

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
We have a heat pump combo with a chiller (for late summers in TX when the water gets too warm) so not exactly what your looking for. We had thought about getting a heater that would run off propane but when the pool designer told us it cost him about $300 to heat enough for a one day get together, we nixed that idea. The heat pump does take longer but is a lot more cost efficient. We heated ours a couple weeks ago for spring break week and it took about three days to go from 62 to 85. If it had been nice and sunny/warm the whole time (it was in the low 70’s and cloudy most days), it would have been quicker and the nights were in the upper 40’s and low 50’s. We also didn’t run it at night. When we’re heating it, we do throw a cheap bubble cover on it to retain the heat, especially at night. We’ve never tried it when it was really cold cause no one wants to get in or out then lol

I'm looking for an in ground pool heater. What do you have and what do you recommend? I have looked at the Pentair 125,000 BTU and the Hayward 140,000 BTU.
In my research is appears that heat pumps are more cost efficient, but don't heat the pool as quickly as gas. They are also not good when the weather is extremely cold (I don't want to swim in the winter anyways)

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
We have a heat pump combo with a chiller (for late summers in TX when the water gets too warm) so not exactly what your looking for. We had thought about getting a heater that would run off propane but when the pool designer told us it cost him about $300 to heat enough for a one day get together, we nixed that idea. The heat pump does take longer but is a lot more cost efficient. We heated ours a couple weeks ago for spring break week and it took about three days to go from 62 to 85. If it had been nice and sunny/warm the whole time (it was in the low 70’s and cloudy most days), it would have been quicker and the nights were in the upper 40’s and low 50’s. We also didn’t run it at night. When we’re heating it, we do throw a cheap bubble cover on it to retain the heat, especially at night. We’ve never tried it when it was really cold cause no one wants to get in or out then lol

What brand is yours? I don't need the chiller, but do think that the heat pump is the best option. :)

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
It’s an aquacal and supposedly their “icebreaker” heat pumps can be used even when it is still pretty cold

233F8E59-79B3-48B0-8FAA-D5F75CB65841.jpeg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in Virginia, where we have a pool, a couple of weeks ago. But I am back in Connecticut now so I cannot look at what we have. We do not have a chiller. (There is absolutely no need for that in northern Virginia, and in fact, I had never heard of a chiller!)

I used to turn on the heat only when my father came to swim, because my husband never felt we needed a heated pool. Our next door neighbors swam every day and their pool wasn't heated. My father (who lived in Connecticut) went to the YMCA every day at 5AM up through the age of 95 so when he visited us in Virginia, he used the pool twice a day. I wanted it to be comfortable for him, so I put the heat on. My husband always thought using it was a waste of money, but didn't mind it being used for my father. :))

Need I say that when we bought the house the pool was already heated?

AGBF

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
I was in Virginia, where we have a pool, a couple of weeks ago. But I am back in Connecticut now so I cannot look at what we have. We do not have a chiller. (There is absolutely no need for that in northern Virginia, and in fact, I had never heard of a chiller!)

I used to turn on the heat only when my father came to swim, because my husband never felt we needed a heated pool. Our next door neighbors swam every day and their pool wasn't heated. My father (who lived in Connecticut) went to the YMCA every day at 5AM up through the age of 95 so when he visited us in Virginia, he used the pool twice a day. I wanted it to be comfortable for him, so I put the heat on. My husband always thought using it was a waste of money, but didn't mind it being used for my father. :))

Need I say that when we bought the house the pool was already heated?

AGBF

I have a teenager daughter and 5 grandkids so a heated pool would be nice.....my DH doesn't think we need a heated pool either, but he never gets in it.....so what does he know! LOL I really want one! :)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following- I would love to have a heater to extend the pool season! My husband would have a heenie, though. He even monitors how long the kids are in the shower and whines about every electric bill. :rolleyes:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a gas Pentair and it works great. Do not buy a Hayward. We had one that completely broke after 3 years, would have cost the same as a new one to fix it. It is expensive to heat the pool but not too bad to just heat the spa. It takes about 8 hours to heat the pool but we live in Texas so it's never very cold. My kids swim March to October with no heat, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results