shape
carat
color
clarity

Pony Progress Pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
I was at home today and was able to take some pictures of my horses that came out well. For Lorelei and others, I wanted to post one of the new horse Luke so you can see how great he is looking in just a few short weeks of spoiling.
2.gif
My mom really likes him a lot, and she's been riding him a little and fussing on him with the grooming gear every night. His teeth will be addressed on Friday when our vet comes out and then she'll be able to ride more.

For reference, here's the before:
LukesFirstDay002.jpg

LukesFirstDay005.jpg

And here's the after:
Metamora017.jpg

Looking good, Luke!
1.gif

ETA: Remember, this guy is EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD.
23.gif
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness, Equestrienne, he looks tons better! I''m happy for you! I have been following your threads, not responding due to lack of expert knowledge, but worried for you. I grew up on a very small farm in So. Indiana...we used to board horses for people who didn''t have the land/pastures/stable room. So I KIND of know about horses, but won''t begin to say I know more than that. I DO have a deep love for animals, and when we had to put down our Apaloosa, Cricket, due to repeated foundering, it was a sad day and one I''ll never forget.

I hope and wish for Luke nothing but the best and I know you and your family will give him that. Thank you for being a lover of horses/animals and being a good human to him. Best of luck to you all! (Oh, and congrats on your engagement again, and good luck with your wedding planning!!! )
9.gif
36.gif
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
equestrienne, he looks beautiful...you are doing a great job!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
looking good
36.gif
36.gif

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/24/2006 12:44:12 AM
Author: monarch64
Goodness, Equestrienne, he looks tons better! I''m happy for you! I have been following your threads, not responding due to lack of expert knowledge, but worried for you. I grew up on a very small farm in So. Indiana...we used to board horses for people who didn''t have the land/pastures/stable room. So I KIND of know about horses, but won''t begin to say I know more than that. I DO have a deep love for animals, and when we had to put down our Apaloosa, Cricket, due to repeated foundering, it was a sad day and one I''ll never forget.

I hope and wish for Luke nothing but the best and I know you and your family will give him that. Thank you for being a lover of horses/animals and being a good human to him. Best of luck to you all! (Oh, and congrats on your engagement again, and good luck with your wedding planning!!! )
9.gif
36.gif
35.gif
Thank you so much, monarch! I was so worried about Chance after we lost Taz and he was so lonely, and I hesitated on getting another horse so quickly and without a trial period, but I am so glad my mother found Luke. He''s eating well and filling out in all the right places. He is so sweet and mild-mannered to work around the barn with, and he''s only getting better every time she rides him as they get acquainted. He''s a good match for Chance, and my mom. What is also kind of neat is that as much as he seems to like my mom, he was once a man''s horse and he has really taken to my daddy. I can almost see Luke''s eyes soften when my daddy walks up to him, it''s really sweet. Thanks again! Now hopefully some wedding progress can get posted soon, too.
28.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't see the before pictures, but she looks happy and healthy. She's beautiful.

Edit: I scrolled down too fast and missed the top pic. The top pictures is the before...gotcha. She looks muuuch healther, too bony in the first pic. Her stomach and shoulders look much better especially.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/24/2006 12:46:20 AM
Author: Mara
equestrienne, he looks beautiful...you are doing a great job!!
Thanks, but I can''t take too much credit for Luke''s makeover, Mara. Chance was my "project" a few years ago. My parents are doing the work this time and I am supervising.
2.gif
I go up at least twice a week to see the horses and I help adjust the feed rations and help my mom when she wants to ride or fuss on Luke. They are doing him a world of good, aren''t they?
1.gif

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, strmrdr and kcoursolle!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
A good one of Chance, too... he felt left out of the photoshoot and kept trying to block my shots.
1.gif

Metamora003.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2006 1:12:55 AM
Author: equestrienne
A good one of Chance, too... he felt left out of the photoshoot and kept trying to block my shots.
1.gif

Metamora003.jpg
That makes me laugh--they are total picture hogs, aren''t they?! Cricket and the cows used to compete for photo time when my mom would take pictures, lol! They both look beautiful, though, your parents have done a fantastic job under your supervision, of course. Will they be part of the wedding? (totally serious, honestly.)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Equi, he looks great!!! He has filled out, his topline has improved already, also his coat looks softer and glossier! What a great job on a very happy boy
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Thanks for sharing the pics, I was wondering how he was doing, but knew that he would be doing great
9.gif

He's a complete lover and I want to snuggle him up
3.gif
Chance looks great too!

hehehe...I can see Luke's bangs have had a trim!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/24/2006 1:17:43 AM
Will they be part of the wedding?
Before we lost Taz, I had thought that somehow, just maybe I could incorporate him into the wedding somewhere. He would have been a beautiful sight with ribbons and flowers woven into his hair. I would have had the ceremony in a church but the reception would have likely been at my family home and I could have made my entrance at the reception on Taz. He died one week after FI proposed, unfortunately. As much as I love Chance, Taz would have been the only horse I would have wanted to play this part. We started looking into catering costs and reception halls and found a hall that was much better on price and would be air conditioned instead of being outdoors in tents in late July, so no mounted entrance is possible now.
2.gif

I may still see about getting some engagement photos done with FI and Chance, though. Our photographer included them in our package and said she could travel to a place we picked. Maybe this fall, when the trees around the paddock start turning.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/24/2006 2:11:55 AM
Author: Lorelei
OMG Equi, he looks great!!! He has filled out, his topline has improved already, also his coat looks softer and glossier! What a great job on a very happy boy
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Thanks for sharing the pics, I was wondering how he was doing, but knew that he would be doing great
9.gif

He''s a complete lover and I want to snuggle him up
3.gif
Chance looks great too!

hehehe...I can see Luke''s bangs have had a trim!
Hahaha, that was my mother. I''ve usually done most of the trimming on the horses and she tried doing it for Luke the other day because his forelock was irritating his eyes. Well, he moved mid-snip.
11.gif
He got a little more taken off than she wanted by the time she evened everything up.

I am most amazed at the change in the topline and the transition from thin-with-hay-belly to filled-out-and-sleek. He''s making great progress. I''ve been helping my parents adjust the feed as needed, and he''s gone from hay only to a little bit of senior horse food and corn to a full ration like Chance (senior food/cup of cracked corn/cup of rolled oats) with some joint supplements to keep him feeling good. It also helps that he''s discovered the joys of horse cookies.
28.gif
We buy bags of these carrot apple biscuits for the boys, and they both like them a lot. Luke doesn''t like sugar cubes or peppermints like Chance does, but he goes nuts for these cookies. (Do your horses get special treats?
9.gif
Beyond the usual bran mashes and such, Taz used to eat frosted strawberry PopTarts and Chance loves pears.)

Luke''s teeth are still pretty sorry - they don''t seem to have been touched in a while. He has some sharp points that I can feel through his cheeks. He is having a little trouble chewing at dinnertime. They make him a little upset when being ridden and he fusses with the bit a lot. He is still well behaved for my mom to ride even with the teeth problem, he''s been such a good boy for her. She has just been walking around the paddock and doing turns and circles as they get used to each other. He''s going to be great for her seat - a little lean or extra pressure to one hipbone or the other will start Luke on a turn. He''s going to help her balance tremendously. Once the teeth are better, it will be even easier for her and Luke to get out and ride. We have a great vet who also does equine dentistry and she is coming out to the barn tomorrow to work on Luke and Chance, so they both will be feeling better soon.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2006 8:49:44 AM
Author: equestrienne

Date: 8/24/2006 1:17:43 AM
Will they be part of the wedding?
Before we lost Taz, I had thought that somehow, just maybe I could incorporate him into the wedding somewhere. He would have been a beautiful sight with ribbons and flowers woven into his hair. I would have had the ceremony in a church but the reception would have likely been at my family home and I could have made my entrance at the reception on Taz. He died one week after FI proposed, unfortunately. As much as I love Chance, Taz would have been the only horse I would have wanted to play this part. We started looking into catering costs and reception halls and found a hall that was much better on price and would be air conditioned instead of being outdoors in tents in late July, so no mounted entrance is possible now.
2.gif

I may still see about getting some engagement photos done with FI and Chance, though. Our photographer included them in our package and said she could travel to a place we picked. Maybe this fall, when the trees around the paddock start turning.
That would be beautiful! I hope you can do that, and of course we''d love to see those pictures, hee hee!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guys don't get too much in the way of treaties unfortunately as they are natives, one Welshman and 2 Shetlands, as you know they gain weight so easily. So they have a low calorie feed balancer, the Welshie has Speedibeet soaked also as he is 26 to aid digestion and safe calories, low sugar chaff and an apple or carrot or 2, plus hay ad lib. This seems to keep them in fine fettle! As I am a daft Mummy
9.gif
, I would love to give them more treats - they love mint candies too - but I have to keep as strict an eye on their waistlines as my own, also I weight tape them regularly.

Interesting thing, we are always told to soak dry beet pulp in the UK to avoid choke, apparently it is fed dry in the States? That is a huge no no here, just curious?

Also the standard of equine dentistry is improving here thankfully. More and more general large animal practice vets are learning horse dentistry techniques now which is a good thing, instead of just rasping the teeth up and down and assuming thats all that is needed. It is amazing the difference a dentist or vet as you know who has an interest and more than the usual skill at dentistry can make to a horse in so many ways. I hope it goes smoothly for you all and Luke and Chance tomorrow, mention the words, vet, teeth and my Welshman in one sentence is enough to send me screaming to the hills, he doesn't behave very well at teeth time
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He looks SO much better!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the mask over his eyes in the third picture?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case Equi isn't here DJ, that is probably a fly net. Horrible things can feed off the secretions from the eyes and cause soreness and infections etc. Also they can be handy like sunglasses for us
10.gif
Not a stupid question at all!
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lorelei!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe Chance is a beauty too!!! horses are so magnificent.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, what beautiful horses! You (and your mom
2.gif
) have done a wonderful job with them!

This makes me miss riding even more. With a wedding to pay for, though, I just can''t justify paying for lessons.

One day...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
They look so great!!!
36.gif

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Wow... he''s looking awesome. May he never know hunger and neglect like that again!

My mare seems to think that her best side is her bum... I have SO many pictures featuring her rear end that it''s embarrassing.

Her son is a big fan of just eating the camera. I think he''s got expensive-item radar because he went for my e-ring the first time he saw it. ;-)
DSCN3456.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
oh wow equestrienne , Luke is so beautiful, as is Chance...

I love horses ... they always look so elegant to me... it''s just so sad that I probably will never learn to ride because everytime I''m in a barn I immediately start sneezing like crazy... sigh.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Such beautiful babies--I am glad you have each other!

cheers--Sharon

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone (Dee*Jay, fatafelice, Mara, FG, flopkins, c-g) for the comments, I am just so pleased that Luke is doing well.
2.gif

rfath - Hee hee, your picture shows just the fuzzy ears of the horse, it''s so cute.

Lorelei - Thanks for assisting when I was away. Yes, that is a fly mask. He is not in disguise.
2.gif
And I do use beet pulp in the winter, sometimes soaked and sometimes dry. It was the best thing ever for Chance when he first joined us, since he was so sick. We used it to get his system hydrated and bulk him up slowly and gradually. He did need to gain over 300 pounds, after all...

Our vet did the dental work today, and I got a good look in Luke''s mouth - ACK! He was waaaay overdue for some work, and the vet said this time she got about 85% of what should be fixed in his mouth. Our vet is fabulous with equine teeth, and uses a combination of pneumatic drills, Dremel tools, and hand files to really get all the proper angles and smoothness throughout the mouth. Luke behaved very well for her and her assistants. He''ll have a few days of adjusting to his new choppers and she''ll fix everything up on the next visit. He''s going to feel GREAT. Mom is excited to ride him again, maybe on Sunday, to see how he is with his mouth feeling better. I took pictures of the whole process so that I can share with my kids at school (they''ll think it''s awesome), and once they are uploaded I can post some here. While the vet was working on Luke, Chance was freaking out about being next. He was making the most hilarious faces and was being a real goofball.
9.gif
He got his teeth adjusted too, not so much work for him.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad they were good boys Equi, I HATE teeth time, it is like a flippin'' rodeo
14.gif
Can''t wait to see Luke''s new gnashers!
9.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Equestrienne ~
emrose.gif

Wow-wee! Luke is sure lookin'' good!
emhot.gif
emlove.gif
emrainbow.gif

I can''t believe the difference! All I know is that you and your mom are doing something so right
emthup.gif
... He looks gorgeouser & gorgeouser!!!
30.gif

Would love to see more pics of Chance & Luke ... My daughter & I are living vicariously thru them!
face23.gif

Take care and give them a big
emhug.gif
emhug2.gif
and
emlips.gif
from my daughter & I.

Have a great weekend!
35.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Luke is turning out to be a very pretty boy! He is one of my favorite horse colors! You just have to love that nice "blonde" M/T. I hope he continues improving!

And Chance is a pretty thing too!

What lucky horses to have people who care so much about their well being!

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
good job...keep up the good work...bet you are truly loved :}

Wifey2b :}

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Luke is looking terrific. I loved the pics. Keep'em coming and Chance is very handsome as well.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results