shape
carat
color
clarity

Pompeii: save my earrings!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
picture of things grabbed as residents tried to flee...unsuccessfully. note the pearl earrings!
some may or may not know of my love of archeology and therefore an interest in "ancient" jewelry......I now see myself on a quest to replicate or design for myself earrings based on this. sometimes jewelry.....and pearls as well as high karat gold....are indeed ageless!

_66486543_pompeii_composite.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Love, love, love those gold and pearl earrings. I've never seen that design, yet it looks so very trendy and modern.

Would love to see you make a set of earrings like those. :love:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
checking online vendors for possibles.....and of course there are several.
also, asked 4RanchGirl to keep an eye out at her PPEvent!
even my husband is behind this project!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those earrings would be very simple to make, MZ. It is also tempting to make one pearl hang lower than the other (say, starting at the bottom of the first one), to create a flattering diagonal.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
They are gorgeous! Just goes to show that some things truly are timeless.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1364576726|3416046 said:
checking online vendors for possibles.....and of course there are several.
also, asked 4RanchGirl to keep an eye out at her PPEvent!
even my husband is behind this project!
They pearls have your name on them that Jeremy and I matched from the picture. They are white ss's email or call so they can send you pictures.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you and Jeremy RULE!
I just got on line and saw this!
sending e-mail tonight!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How marvellous! Hope it works out!

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
so do I, Sharon!
excited...even hubby is online tracking down better pictures for the design implementation.

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
I watched the video and it was amazing how fast Jeremy picked out matching pearls. I hope you can share pictures soon!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
had a note from Jeremy today saying he'll forward pictures Monday.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
today Jeremy is mailing me packets from which to select pearls for my project! :appl:

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
WOW! That's terrific! Looking forward to seeing the finished earrings~such a great idea! And when peeps comment on how lovely the earrings are, you'll have a wonderful story to tell~

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I can't believe how quickly Jeremy picked out earrings for this set! They are going to be GORGEOUS :appl: I hope you will keep us updated with pics!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

OHMIGOD it's been DAZY and DAYZ since the last update..... :bigsmile: :devil:

Tell all that is fit to print....

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
package from Jeremy arrived around noon......
12 loose pearls [and he can send more if need be] and two sets of rounds: 4 pink toned and 4 silver toned.
made my selection by 1245p :loopy:
however, want hubby to have a look-see because he has better eyesight than I and he won't be home until late.
the two sets of rounds are very well matched within each set. would be lovely for a modern look.
i'm drawn to one particular 'triangular' pearl with a flat bottom and used it to pull another 3 from the 12. none quite match its shape but are close in size and color and are certainly not rounds. they would certainly blend in with those in the picture.
my concern with the 4 I've selected is that they are of the larger ones in the package....which means they'll probably hit against each other once set in the design. however, Pliny did write re roman women not needing lictors to walk before them as the sound of their pearls clacking as they walked was enough announcement..... I of course will not be wearing that many that I will be announcing my arrival!

unfortunately, Jeremy did not separate out the ones he had selected last Friday! much to my disappointment and his chagrin....but hey they're in there somewhere! who knows. perhaps I've picked the same ones, but I don't think so......

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure which ever pearls you choose out of what Jeremy sent will be perfect. Remember he chose the 12 by looking at your picture. Trust your instincts and you will fine.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I comingled the 12 together again. in the light this evening I was noticing underlying color differences and differences in sheen.....but not seeing the shapes as well! hubby still not home. so, i'm going to take my time over the next day or so and pick. part of me says do it the easy way and just go the more modern route. but i'm liking the mismatch idea of being more representative of the original. and you are so right 4Ranch: trust instinct. my other option that i'm equally comfortable with is picking the one I like best, sending the whole thing back to Jeremy and ask him to pick 3 others that go best with it based on the picture. i'm actually quite happy to do that...

and i'm learning! i'm actually seeing the underlying difference in color between "whites"! I thought I liked the silver tones but now i'm leaning towards rosey......this is a good learning experience for me. :appl:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I am a rosie girl myself. I always thought it would be silver overtone but my hand reaches every time to the rosey ones. Whites are so hard to match plus there is luster and overtone, tricky, tricky. You might pick shapes that you want then send them back and ask jeremy to find pearls that match the shapes that have matching colors. He has thousands and thousands of pearls and could do it. He does like the challenges and it might take him a couple of months. His next buying trip to Hong Kong is in June. And farmers bring him pearls all the time.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and i'm seeing differences in the luster, how light reflects or in some cases doesn't. some look more like moonstones and others have a more definite metallic type sheen. got my magnifying glass out and see differences in the nacre. have to say i'm enjoying this!

hubby got home and I changed my position re lighting. gave me another view of them and I was able to separate the 12 out into 3 groups....one of which is rejects. one group is more ringed and i'm leaning that way for a more "ancient" look. group number 2 and still a contender is a bit smaller in pearl size and perhaps a bit more on the silver side.

i hate to ask Jeremy to put too much time and effort into this...he may enjoy it but time is $. and he's a pleasure to correspond with! i hope one day to meet him....and you as well, 4Ranch!

i'm also open to suggestions as to who i should contact to make the earrings. really its a situation that requires gold wire and not much more. i was leaning towards 18k gold but hubby think i should step it up to 22k....... Jeremy suggested someone and if i were going for a more modern look, i'd use that person....still might. i'm not looking for creative flourishes but someone willing to replicate.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Every pair of 22 or 24K earrings with hooks I've owned, have turned out to be a poor choice--because they bend and become easily misshapen--but I suspect you know that already. I do like the richer color that gold content affords.

Can't wait to see th finished product. Great inspiration MZ!

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep, love the look of 22k gold and pearls BUT [yes, a really big B U T] is that I have long hair and earrings can get entangled which means I would have a high chance of bending the soft setting and not just the wires! sigh. i really do think 18k will still give "the look".

and 18k green gold would certainly be interesting.......need to do some research: did those romans mix gold and silver alloys?

another thought: the forward pearl stem could be a big shorter giving longer length to the back pearl giving a "twist" on the original.

think i'll get the pearls out now and have a look-see. the weather is overcast so lighting will be interesting.

eta: why, yes, those romans did use a natural occurring gold/silver alloy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrum

my little project is certainly becoming quite educational!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
MZ, I have been following your project with interest.

If you are thinking about different gold alloys, I would definitely look at your pearls next to the different color metals to see which combo you find most pleasing. My guess is that one particular combination with "sing" better than another.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep, always always always test against the desired or fantasized metal......i'm sticking with yellow gold for this project.
reworked the baggies this morning in natural overcast light. very helpful utilizing different light sources as well.
now to decide which baggie is going to be the winner. I can live with either.
will probably go with the set that has the best luster and may leave it to Jeremy to determine that as he has a more experienced eye.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
think i'm going with the slightly smaller, more silver in tone set of 4 because I think they have the best luster.......but still debating.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Movie zombie, Did you make a decision yet?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no, haven't been home and leaving again today. Jeremy says no rush. however, I hope to spend time with the pearls on Thursday and make a definitive decision then.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How is the project coming along??

cheers--Shaorn

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
made my choice and sent everything back to Jeremy on Friday.
he rec'd them yesterday but Hisano had returned home from her trip today and he'll look at them tomorrow.
unfortunately, I won't be home tomorrow.
I asked him to look at my choice and see what he thinks, then we'll talk.
i'm open to him making more suggestions....apparently, he has many that he thinks would work for this project.
I opted for the larger, less shiny but certainly even nacre set.
the silver ones were lovely but so shiny that I think they would look too modern.

hubby thinks I should go 22k gold....I said I thought 18k would be fine [as well as stronger].
Jeremy agrees with hubby.
i'm out numbered: so, what is a woman to do?
since we're talking basically wire and if I go 22k it should be that pricey, although Jeremy says the wire would need to be of sufficient gauge to be strong enough and he will need to drill accordingly.
22k will give certain rich look that I know i'd appreciate....!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results