shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: which setting for my mahenge spinel?

Which is your preferred mounting and why?

• Neither, I have another idea

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • HW inspired halo mounting

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Just show me the results

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
given your stone is smaller, i do not think it will look out of balance with a north/south orientation. the first one is certainly not pedestrian, is unique, and will stand out from the crowd.

i like that you want to keep your e-ring unique by not having another halo......but then i''m not a fan of halo''s.

the first one is elegant and will stand the test of time.

mz

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is your stone a rectangular cushion or a curvy one? If the former, I prefer the first setting (and not just because I'm biased ;-) ). If the latter, the halo would work better.

ETA: If you're concerned about size, what about two side diamond cushions?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It''s a rectangular cushion. And I''m not so concerned with making the stone look bigger. It looks nice on the hand. I just want the proportions to be attractive and the spinel to be the focal point.

Thanks for your input Harriet!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome! I don''t know how long your cushion is, but do make sure that it''s long enough for a noticeable second baguette.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture of it in one of those temp settings:

p%201.73mahenge.JPG

And here''s a pic of the shape of it:
a%201.73mahenge.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Remove it from the holder, please! I nicked a stone that way.

Can you try drawing a to-scale outline?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Yes, out of the holder. I'm laughing at myself because I've been trying to trace around the outline of the stone. Sounds easy enough? Well........
38.gif

If I go with the baguette mounting, I'll send my stone to Leon and have him use his eye to choose complimentary baguettes. He is the originator, I wouldn't mess with that! He gave me a very reasonable quote for the setting, and I can't imagine four baguettes will throw the price out of the ballpark.

Harriet, may I ask your expertise and opinion on working with Leon? My mind's eye sees me sending my stone to him and asking him his expert opinion (given my budget). I don't have a need to control the project, just to give him the basic idea of what asthetic I like. Will he give me several different ideas, or will he want me to tell him what I want specifically? I want to utilize his eye and experience, but don't want to frustrate him with my lack of specific direction.

The stone measures 7.7 x 5.7 x 4.6mm

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phew. I do that too!

Since you have a specific setting in mind, just leave it up to him. He''s good with proportions.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uppy, my pad measures very close (except of course it''s more oval). So you can get an idea of what Leon does with a stone that size.

I like the halo in this case, or less rectangular sides, but that''s me.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 12:47:33 AM
Author: VapidLapid
I voted baguette, but i was hungry when I voted. I''m not a fan of halo in general unless the stones are each at least .12 and oec. It is true the proportions make this stone a little long and might look weird. But I was thinking, i know I shouldn''t, that as odd as this will sound (hear me out first) it could work in an east/west with a surround if not actually a halo, if it were in a very unique sort of sculptured custom mount. I do like the simple one with the baguettes but something about it screams like every ring Tiffany made in 1976.
Did Tiffany go through an Art Deco phase in that one year? I drew from that period when I ''designed'' that setting.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I knew that setting looked familiar! It''s Harriet''s spess. I think it''s very classic and don''t get the 1976 thing at all. My e-ring has baguettes on each side and it''s an original art deco mounting.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh. Do you have a pic?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
This is another interesting idea with baguettes. I still get the art deco feel but could get more bling with the triple horizontal bags.

triple horizontal bags.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I was completely torn after seeing both pictures in your first post and REALLY wanted to vote for both (that would have been very helpful wouldn''t it?!).

However, I decided to read the posts first and then the decision was easy.

Unlike Mr Ma Re, I prefer halos on smaller stones to give them more umph and presence. Your stone is gorgeous but seeing it in the temporary holder I realised that giving it more overall girth would be good. So, it''s the halo vote for me! That will make it look much bigger both length and widthways. If you go for the baguette route, it will only elongate the width. I have size 6 fingers and I find that just giving a stone width doesn''t rock my world and it never feels big enough.

One further comment - not only would I halo the central stone I would also give it a split shank to give it the added sideways width.

Hope that helps (a bit!)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
That last one you just posted is really nice. Is that an emerald? Harriet, I think I have a pic somewhere. I''ll have a look around.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 6:02:05 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Ok, I was completely torn after seeing both pictures in your first post and REALLY wanted to vote for both (that would have been very helpful wouldn't it?!).

However, I decided to read the posts first and then the decision was easy.

Unlike Mr Ma Re, I prefer halos on smaller stones to give them more umph and presence. Your stone is gorgeous but seeing it in the temporary holder I realised that giving it more overall girth would be good. So, it's the halo vote for me! That will make it look much bigger both length and widthways. If you go for the baguette route, it will only elongate the width. I have size 6 fingers and I find that just giving a stone width doesn't rock my world and it never feels big enough.

One further comment - not only would I halo the central stone I would also give it a split shank to give it the added sideways width.

Hope that helps (a bit!)
Here's a beautiful halo and split shank, but I feel it looks a bit "pagenty" if that makes sense? I really like more of a deco look.

I also worry that it would compete with my ering (take a look at my avatar).
7.gif

halo & split shank.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I like the baguette idea. The second is also extremely elegant! I may just have to copy that lol!!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 1:15:28 PM
Author: Uppy
Harriet, may I ask your expertise and opinion on working with Leon? My mind''s eye sees me sending my stone to him and asking him his expert opinion (given my budget). I don''t have a need to control the project, just to give him the basic idea of what asthetic I like. Will he give me several different ideas, or will he want me to tell him what I want specifically? I want to utilize his eye and experience, but don''t want to frustrate him with my lack of specific direction.
I honestly still feel that your spinel with two good sized cushions will look amazing - ie. the picture with warm diamond cushions but I agree that whiter stones will look better. Can your budget accomdate that? I just think a setting like that will be amazing and look great on your hand.

I am not Harriet but Leon will give you ideas. We spent several hours sketching up and trying different designs.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I do like the look of chunky cushions, but is that rather pedestrian?

r781-05Ww.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 6:37:33 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

Date: 5/26/2010 1:15:28 PM
Harriet, may I ask your expertise and opinion on working with Leon? My mind''s eye sees me sending my stone to him and asking him his expert opinion (given my budget). I don''t have a need to control the project, just to give him the basic idea of what asthetic I like. Will he give me several different ideas, or will he want me to tell him what I want specifically? I want to utilize his eye and experience, but don''t want to frustrate him with my lack of specific direction.
I honestly still feel that your spinel with two good sized cushions will look amazing - ie. the picture with warm diamond cushions but I agree that whiter stones will look better. Can your budget accomdate that? I just think a setting like that will be amazing and look great on your hand.

I am not Harriet but Leon will give you ideas. We spent several hours sketching up and trying different designs.
So, I asked this over in Rocky Talk but didn''t get a response, do I just go ahead and send the stone to Leon and then work out the design with him? He''s given me a quote but I don''t know if I''m supposed to send in a deposit with the stone or after we''ve done the work order?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Work order, then deposit.

I''m concerned that a halo will look weird with a less curvaceous stone. Now, this is my opinion -- I don''t like halos on smaller stones because it looks like one is trying to make the stone look bigger. [ducks]

Innerkitten, please do!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 6:39:17 PM
I do like the look of chunky cushions, but is that rather pedestrian?
I hope that ring doesn''t belong to anyone here. Not a fan of those cushion sides. Chunky cushions will be beautiful.

I don''t think it looks pedestrian. I just go back to your picture and love it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m digging the 6 bags...

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I have a STRONG preference for the 1st or a variation on that theme.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good idea SDL! Bullets would be cool Uppy.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I like these Cadi traps Uppy.

If you are hell bent on baguettes and want a Deco look, take a look at Kellyfish''s ring. Not sure it would work with an cushiony oval. Maybe someone could photoshop your stone into Kellyfish''s setting if you like it.

kellyfish asscher 02.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i still prefer your number 1 setting.

mz

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I just confirmed with Leon that I am sending my stone out to him for setting in a platinum mounting with the stepped flanking baguettes! I''m so excited!!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
That''s going to be fabulous, uppy - how exciting!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results