carat
color
clarity

Poll: Which setting for large OMC?!

Which setting would you choose?

• Total voters

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys! I have narrowed it down to two setting options that I love for a large OMC diamond I’ve purchased. I can’t make a decision and would love your help!

Here is a bad video still of the diamond on my hand in a holder, followed by the two setting sketches I’m choosing between. This is a slightly rounder shaped cushion, but I like how the prong placement in the sketches help to very slightly elongate.

Please let me know your thoughts!

B9427267-0AEA-49D5-9D70-7A4EF1343A5A.jpeg
Option 1:
BFA2EE2A-910D-403F-BBD4-E1E0F53BC9A9.jpeg
Option 2:
14F332A0-2C28-4183-AACE-338AD7CA16EF.jpeg
Thank you!!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Wait, you finally decided on option #2 stone!! Yay!!

As for the setting, I’m of two minds on this one. For setting #1: will the extra bling on the shoulder/shank still be visible given the size of your center?
That said, I’m more likely to go with setting #2- for its simple elegance. It lets the center shine all by its glorious lonesome.

Either way, I’m very excited for you!! Congrats on such a honker!!❤️❤️❤️

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
This is tough. I love the side profile!

I don't normally like split shanks, but this one looks beautiful and also helps elongate the stone - ETA I agree with @maita13 that it has a simple elegance. Although, I've just looked at the pictures again, and does it actually elongate it? Are the stones on those pictures actually the same size? Because if so perhaps to me the single shank looks like the stone is more elongated? Optical illusion?

However, I still personally probably prefer option 1. The only thing I would change about option 1 is I would prefer the shank be the same width both before and after the shoulder cuff. You would also have to carefully choose melee colour. Your center stone is always going to be the star of the show but you won't always view it from straight on so a little bling is nice.

What band are you going to wear with it? That's something to think about as well as it might affect your choice.

What a lovely dilemma to have!

What's your opinion on them? Is one calling to you more?

Last edited:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Wait, you finally decided on option #2 stone!! Yay!!

As for the setting, I’m of two minds on this one. For setting #1: will the extra bling on the shoulder/shank still be visible given the size of your center?
That said, I’m more likely to go with setting #2- for its simple elegance. It lets the center shine all by its glorious lonesome.

Either way, I’m very excited for you!! Congrats on such a honker!!❤❤❤

Yes!!! It ended up being the clear winner, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. :D

I actually need to ask how much of the band I’ll be able to see from the top view - honestly it won’t be much. I like the idea of a pretty side view with the accent stones, but I agree that I don’t necessarily *need* more than what I already have going on here. I’ve always loved split shanks. It’s so confusing!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
This is tough. I love the side profile!

I don't normally like split shanks, but this one looks beautiful and also helps elongate the stone - ETA I agree with @maita13 that it has a simple elegance. Although, I've just looked at the pictures again, and does it actually elongate it? Are the stones on those pictures actually the same size? Because if so perhaps to me the single shank looks like the stone is more elongated? Optical illusion?

However, I still personally probably prefer option 1. The only thing I would change about option 1 is I would prefer the shank be the same width both before and after the shoulder cuff. You would also have to carefully choose melee colour. Your center stone is always going to be the star of the show but you won't always view it from straight on so a little bling is nice.

What band are you going to wear with it? That's something to think about as well as it might affect your choice.

What a lovely dilemma to have!

What's your opinion on them? Is one calling to you more?

The stones do look a little different in those sketches don’t they! I thought that was my imagination. I guess by elongate I just mean the illusion of that created by the three prongs on the top and bottom only. It’s not going to be anything major but maybe just a smidge.

I’ve always loved split shanks, and I was wondering if that style might look more balanced with a diamond this large? I have a small finger as well so that was part of my thinking. That said, I do like the idea of a little hidden detail on the side like option 1 provides...

I do like to wear bands, but I don’t have anything specific in mind at this point. I’d probably wear it alone most of the time and play around with some bands when the mood strikes. :)

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, I wonder if elongating the center was intentionally sketched this way to accommodate the accent stones? By that I mean to make it more visible from the top view? Whereas in setting #2, the center will be set horizontally for a bigger spread?
I know what you mean about having a “little hidden detail” on the shoulder. I like wearing my ring a tad loose. So when it spins, I see that special something, like an engraving or in your case, accent stones. It’s almost like letting the world in on or having the world peek at your little secret when the shank is exposed.
I’m weird like that, I know :D

ETA: sorry I‘m no help, sanguine! Seriously though, with that stunning rock, you can’t go wrong either way.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for #1 as I am not a fan of split shanks, personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SINGLE SHANK!!! Ok, sorry for such a strong opinion. Nah, not sorry. The single shank for sure gives it a more vintage vibe, which is in the spirit of the antique stone. Who are you having make it?? And I definitely think the single shank elongates it more visually, than the split.

I’m not a fan of split shanks, so I voted single shank.

How about a third option: a millgrained single shank with no accent diamonds? I really like the millgrain, it adds to the vintage vibe, but I don’t know if the accent stones are really necessary - perhaps some filigree or millgrain would work better with that honker of a stone!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like split shanks, but in this instance, I prefer setting 1

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the minority here but I love the straightforward elegance and sophistication of setting #2. It flows harmoniously and it seems a perfect fit for your gorgeous OMC. No matter which setting you choose the final ring is going to be exquisite because you cannot do wrong with that amazbling OMC. :love:

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the minority here but I love the straightforward elegance and sophistication of setting #2. It flows harmoniously and it seems a perfect fit for your gorgeous OMC. No matter which setting you choose the final ring is going to be exquisite because you cannot do wrong with that amazbling OMC. :love:

I can't agree more with @missy here. Your amazbling OMC will look spectacular regardless. I also voted for #2.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On such a large stone as this (Wowza!), I prefer a split shank. Like others have said it gives the ring balance. Sometimes larger stones which are
understandably big on the bottom can look top-heavy in a single shank IMO. Split shanks help to put it in proportion for me.

Just my 2 cents. Got to get what you love and picture on your finger!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Delicious!!!! Both options!
I like the subtle bling of #1 and the flow of the split shank.

Maybe a slight taper in option 1 or a but of single cut melée on option 2?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness, you just can’t go wrong with either choice! That stone could be glued to your finger and no one would notice anything else. :lol:
That said, I usually am not a fan of split shanks, but for a stone this size, I think it would look more proportional with the split, so that’s my choice. I just love how gracefully it will hold your stone. If you intend to wear a band often, then I would go with the other one!!
Your stone is just wowza!!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
This is all great stuff to think about, thanks to everyone! Votes are split almost 50/50...I know it’s such a personal decision, but man it’s a tough one!

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I think with the size of the (stunning) diamond, the stone almost covers your finger, so you might end up not really seeing the split. For that reason, I like option 1.

Both are gorgeous, though.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I think with the size of the (stunning) diamond, the stone almost covers your finger, so you might end up not really seeing the split. For that reason, I like option 1.

Both are gorgeous, though.

Ditto ❤️

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
What a gorgeous gorgeous stone! I like the idea of keeping it vintage-y so option 1 is the winner for me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both options, but like the idea of the side stones. but......the split shank is so elegant. Super hard choice. I would likely go with the diamond shank (option 1), but it would be a really close call. Would it be possible to get melee diamonds on the split shank? That would be best of both worlds :)

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Love both options, but I prefer option 1 more. Just fits the period of when the stone was cut.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I love option one, but without the diamonds. Milgrain or engraving but not the little side diamonds. Number one hands down! It looks like it was make to go with that diamond. Just my opinion ;-)

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I vote 1. It fits the stone better and Complements stone

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! I'm waiting for the "right" answer to jump out to me. This really isn't good for my indecisive nature. Ha! :lol:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! I'm waiting for the "right" answer to jump out to me. This really isn't good for my indecisive nature. Ha! :lol:

Not sure if this has been asked yet. But do you plan to pair it with a band? If so, do you stack or do you foresee problems in that dept. with either of these?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results