shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Size for an everyday colored stone solitaire pendant

What's your ideal size for an everyday colored stone solitaire pendant?

• 5mm or smaller

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 6mm

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • 7mm

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • 8mm

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • 9mm or bigger

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
What's your ideal size for an everyday colored stone solitaire pendant? What are you comfortable with wearing on a daily basis? Do you prefer certain types of stones or colors for solitaire pendants? Please post pictures if you have any to share!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Poll: Size for an everyday colored stone solitaire penda

Can I get some more votes please? ;-)

Other than sapphires and spinels, are there others that are suitable for daily wear?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock

Chrysoberyl is! My skin color wouldn't work with the yellow-green of the chrysoberyl I've got, though, so that wouldn't be for me. You have a color in mind?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

For me, a minimum of 8 mm. Seems to me a number of stones are suitable for pendant wear, even every day. I'd wear an amethyst or other quartz. Garnets too. Wouldn't shower in them, etc., though.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

When it comes to colored stone pendants, I tend to be a size queen: I wore a 20 carat tourmaline for years and years, similarly sized amethysts, citrines, and moonstones as well, all in the vicinity of 20 mm+. I also like really long chains, which might change matters from what you have in mind. For a shorter chain to fall between throat and decolletage, I think I'd vote 9 mm or so: my current pendant is 9X6 or so, and I never feel like it's too much.

In terms of suitability? On a short chain, the sky's the limit - how much damage can you do? I'd probably be leery of pearls or turquoise, but anything harder than that should be fine. Aside from size and hardness, what are some of your other preferences?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the suggestions!

Don't have any strong preferences over color yet, frankly haven't seen enough in person to make a judgement. Probably prefer a pendant on a 18 to 20-inch chain. As long as it looks lively and well cut, and practical enough in terms of size and durability for daily wear, anything goes. 8-)

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

I picked 7 mm although I think the pendants I currently have are a bit larger, but not much...
I love to wear my amethyst pendant the most.
Then I have a nice pale green grossular garnet pendant in a killer setting
and
a topaz / moonstone pendant... very nice...
I LOVE turquoise, I WISH I still had some of the pendants I bought / was gifted when I was
in my 20's....... lost over the years.

I like a bit shorter chain, otherwise the stone might hang lower than the neckline
of your top... 18 inches is my maximum, I don't like things to hang inside my bra
or outside on my shirt...

What are you thinking of ?
I think with pendants, there are SO many cool setting ideas out there,
much more so than rings.....
Even multi-stone pendants !

I just noticed this one today, look how cute, it's a tiny organic garden !!! :love: :love: :love:

garden-patch-necklace-540x820.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

I've never really thought about a specific size for a pendant. I think my smallest solitaire pendant is a 6mm, but I have a couple of much larger stones that I hope to make into pendant solitaires someday. To me, most any size solitaire stone can be worn for everyday, but in the poll, I picked 8mm because that would probably be a good all around size for me for an everyday pendant.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I voted for 6mm. Many of my pendants are 5 mm and I always wish they were a little bigger.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

ooo~shiny! where did you find that pendant??? it's so cute, i want one!!!

I vote 9mm+ for every day pendant. I rock my 9mm peridot martini on a 15" chain, and also a 9mm tanga garnet in a cushion halo pendant on a 16" chain. Not much boobage, so there's a lot of real estate on this chest.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's a gorgeous pendant!

When it comes to pendant, you can also include beryls and garnets because they just don't see much action on the neck. Will this solitaire pendant be a plain basket or will there be more metal decorations? Also, the vividness of colour will play a role in the size selection.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

I voted 9mm+ too. Most of my colored stone pendants are in that range plus their settings generally add quite a bit to the size as well.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the ideas! I guess I should have included options for bigger sizes. :lol:

The stone will probably be in a simple basket/bezel setting. Will likely keep the pendant on other than during showers and sleep, so prefer something that doesn't dangle too much.

How does the vividness of color play a role in size selection? Do more vivid stones look bigger than less vivid ones?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For a simple basket pendant for everyday, and if your overall frame isn't too wide, something 6 mm and upwards is the norm. Vivid stones have a greater visual impact than something less neon.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

ForteKitty|1306213951|2928892 said:

Ditto this - that's really charming! I love the little eggplant, and I don't even like eggplants!

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock

I'm of the opinion that if you got it, flaunt it. :)

Everyone is so different though in build, taste etc. I'd go as big as you feel confident with.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Circe|1306263881|2929277 said:
ForteKitty|1306213951|2928892 said:

Ditto this - that's really charming! I love the little eggplant, and I don't even like eggplants!

Yes, isn't it charming ? I really like her things. Here is the link to the site, someone else on this forum found it
and I bookmarked it :sun:

http://cynthiarenee.com/jewels/gallery/

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the link. Looks like she does some nice work. Has anyone worked with her before?

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

thbmok|1306374762|2930408 said:
Thanks for the link. Looks like she does some nice work. Has anyone worked with her before?

I haven't, but I have her site bookmarked..... I should spend more time ( and $$$ )
getting my stones SET instead of drooling over, and buying, new ones....

I see so many of her things that I just LOVE !!!!
I would love to have a little Citrine set just like that sunflower ! So bright and pretty !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results