shape
carat
color
clarity

POLL: Help with my Pendant - single or double chain?

Single chain or double chain for my pendant?

• Single Chain

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Double Chain

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I love my new diamond from WF! :love: I traded in my asscher for this beauty - 2.008 G VS2 ACA http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2275576.htm.

I'm having some minor difficulty with the pendant flipping forward, although not too bad, but the pendant may go back for a tweak. So I'm thinking about adding a second chain, but wanted to get your thoughts.

I thought the second chain would give me more peace-of-mind and would help with the proportions. But maybe it's too much and entirely unnecessary? Please give me your opinions?

Pardon my marginal pictures and my poor photoshop skills.

2.008 Pendant double2.jpg

2.008 Pendant single2.jpg

2.008 Pendant double1.jpg

2.008 Pendant single1.jpg

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I voted double chain for no specific reason other than I really like the way it looks.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I very much like the idea of a double chain! One thing I remember seeing somewhere, though I don't remember where, was a bi-color necklace where one chain was white gold, the other yellow. If this is a piece you plan to wear everyday that you want to match everything, that might be something to consider ....

P.S. - I noticed in your other thread that you were considering adding a surprise diamond to level out the flipping. Unless we're talking a pretty sizable surprise stone, I don't see that working, aerodynamically. Moving the loops closer to 1 and 11 might help, or, alternately, possibly going for a version of the setting with a more flattened back. The "point" on the martini setting seems like it has the potential for flipping no matter what ....

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I think the two chains would be cool. I also like the idea making the second one a different color, though I would do rose gold. but that is my color choice over yellow. Either way would be AWESOME :appl:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
the double chain looks RAD!!!!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think either looks fine. However, I voted for the double chain, because I have trouble with a chain that is too dainty and thin. Have you considered a slightly thicker single chain? I believe someone got a slightly thicker 18K gold chain for her dbty necklace. If interested in a thicker single chain, check with WF for availability.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think either is fine. If the single chain seems too flimsy for the diamond, you can get a slightly thicker one. I'm wearing two chains together, a gemstone pendant on a rose gold chain and an inexpensive silver "colored gemstone by the yard" one, and they work fine together. But, when I wear two chains, I like the option of wearing only one, depending on how dressy the occasion. However, your pendant is fixed on the chain, which is different than my preference of a sliding pendant. I have always found that fixed pendants travel up my neck, so I hope you have worn this one enough to tell if that will be a problem before you decide on a fix and send it back.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Circe said:
I very much like the idea of a double chain! One thing I remember seeing somewhere, though I don't remember where, was a bi-color necklace where one chain was white gold, the other yellow. If this is a piece you plan to wear everyday that you want to match everything, that might be something to consider ....

P.S. - I noticed in your other thread that you were considering adding a surprise diamond to level out the flipping. Unless we're talking a pretty sizable surprise stone, I don't see that working, aerodynamically. Moving the loops closer to 1 and 11 might help, or, alternately, possibly going for a version of the setting with a more flattened back. The "point" on the martini setting seems like it has the potential for flipping no matter what ....
Thanks Circe. Yes, I thought some more about the surprise diamond and I agree with your assessment entirely. The martini setting sort of rocks from side to side when I move my head/neck right and left. That's actually not a bad thing because it seems to always rock back to center. The flipping thing seems to happen when I'm just slightly sweaty and the bottom prong or basket ring sticks to my skin. I think the loops could be tweaked a little to lessen the occurrence.

I'll probably keep it all platinum if I add a chain. It sounds silly, but I tend to wear suits of jewelry. Like if I'm going to wear YG, I only wear YG and I won't wear the platinum (with the exception of e-ring, WB, and studs). It's a little obsessive, I have to admit, but I want all of my metal - whether it's jewelry or the hardware on my purse - to match. It's a sickness. :twirl:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
FancyDiamond said:
I think either looks fine. However, I voted for the double chain, because I have trouble with a chain that is too dainty and thin. Have you considered a slightly thicker single chain? I believe someone got a slightly thicker 18K gold chain for her dbty necklace. If interested in a thicker single chain, check with WF for availability.
I had asked about a thicker chain, but WF told me the pendant would be fine and plenty strong with their standard chain. Yes, so I'm not sure what's available.

I thought the double chain would be good if a link failed - there would always be another chain holding the pendant so I wouldn't lose it.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
lovemybling said:
I think the two chains would be cool. I also like the idea making the second one a different color, though I would do rose gold. but that is my color choice over yellow. Either way would be AWESOME :appl:
Hi lovemybling. :wavey: Thanks for chiming in. I love rose gold too! It goes really well with my skin. I like green gold too. :love: I think I'll stick with all platinum though if I go with 2 chains - just my obsessiveness about mixing metals.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
SparklyOEC said:
I voted double chain for no specific reason other than I really like the way it looks.
Thanks Sparkly - that's a good enough reason for me! I have to say that I'm wondering if the pendant looks like a CZ - it's this big diamond on a skinny little chain. It "floats" on my neck which is nice, but it almost sends a signal that the diamond isn't real.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
missydebby said:
the double chain looks RAD!!!!
Thanks missdebby! You know first-hand the limitations of my photoshop skills!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl said:
I think either is fine. If the single chain seems too flimsy for the diamond, you can get a slightly thicker one. I'm wearing two chains together, a gemstone pendant on a rose gold chain and an inexpensive silver "colored gemstone by the yard" one, and they work fine together. But, when I wear two chains, I like the option of wearing only one, depending on how dressy the occasion. However, your pendant is fixed on the chain, which is different than my preference of a sliding pendant. I have always found that fixed pendants travel up my neck, so I hope you have worn this one enough to tell if that will be a problem before you decide on a fix and send it back.
Hi FlyGirl :wavey: . This was something Vera at WF said happens with her ballerine (sp?) pendant. She's thinking about putting a bail on it. I couldn't do that - I'd have to make it a drop or something. Then with a sliding pendant, the clasp is always in the front! Ack, the trade-offs.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
What do you think of the idea of adding a second chain and DBTY diamonds to each chain? Would that be too much?

This is one large stone and I want to give the whole piece a little more presence. Thoughts? Thanks!! :))

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
starryeyed said:
What do you think of the idea of adding a second chain and DBTY diamonds to each chain? Would that be too much?

This is one large stone and I want to give the whole piece a little more presence. Thoughts? Thanks!! :))

I think the second chain would look really cool! I think the DBTY on the second chain would be too much and have too much going on. The DBTY might be a good option if you stick with only one chain though. However, this isn't going to help your flipping problem, it's just going to give you more bling (which is nice, too! :twirl: ).

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
I was just thinking -- the martini setting has 3 legs like a Y right? So in your image, it looks like the second chain is anchored to the same points as the original chain (2 of the 3 legs on the Y).

If you were to anchor the the second chain to the 3rd prong of the Y, it would probably make it a lot more secure because the second chain would be a little shorter than the original chain, so that point on the martini setting would always point upward. If that one martini prong always points upward, and the other two sides are also anchored, it shouldn't flip. (Pretty sure, but not positive.) Is this an option?

I wish I could photoshop it for you to show you...but I don't even have photoshop. :oops:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
antelope1 said:
I was just thinking -- the martini setting has 3 legs like a Y right? So in your image, it looks like the second chain is anchored to the same points as the original chain (2 of the 3 legs on the Y).

If you were to anchor the the second chain to the 3rd prong of the Y, it would probably make it a lot more secure because the second chain would be a little shorter than the original chain, so that point on the martini setting would always point upward. If that one martini prong always points upward, and the other two sides are also anchored, it shouldn't flip. (Pretty sure, but not positive.) Is this an option?

I wish I could photoshop it for you to show you...but I don't even have photoshop. :oops:

Oh, this is clever! I like this notion.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
starryeyed said:
Nope, it would be gorgeous. Double all the way.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi said:
starryeyed said:
Nope, it would be gorgeous. Double all the way.

Big YES to the double, thinking it will be stunning, so elegant!!!!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Circe said:
antelope1 said:

Oh, this is clever! I like this notion.
Yes, very clever antelope! I'm going to consider that.

Coatimundi and Kaleigh, do you mean double and plain OR double with DBTY?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I've put this Idea in with WF to fix the flipping problem and am waiting to hear back about feasibility.

2.008 Pendant Fix Idea1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results