• Pear

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Baguette

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Cushion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other shape (explained below)

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Dont do a 3-stone - Do ......(explained below)

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pricescopers,

I'm trying to finalise the setting for my fabulous 5ct David Dawson Zircon and am 98% sure I want to go with a 3-stone setting but cant decide what shape of side stones to go for.

So please please please help me out and vote, also (if you would be so kind) telling me why you think that shape is the one I should chose.

Thanks in advance
mac-w

PS. more pictures of my zircon can be found here

PPS. I'm a ring size 7 - 7.25 just in case that helps.

Zircon-MACW-03.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am clicking baguette above, but I think shields would work well with the shape of that stone as well.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Bullets!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shields/bullets...yes.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
davi_el_mejor|1305378047|2921644 said:

That was my first thought as well, kind of like on Uppy's new seafoam tourmaline ring.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think the prongs in yellow gold would be perfect!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Because of the beautiful angles, I think something with a little "sharpness" would look great. I agree with shields, bullets, or even trillions.

MontageCreations

Rough_Rock
Trade
whether you do an E-W ring or a traditional 3 stone, i vote for trillion's they look would be stunning compliments to that zircon.
:)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Trillions! Baguettes a distant 2nd. The roundness of pears don't go with the angles on that beautiful stone, imho.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trilliants or bullets.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, angels, angels!! Traps, bullets...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think you'll set it E/W? If so, I would choose side stones that don't accentuate length, probably trillions. If N/S, and limited to one side stone on each side, then I would go with either bullets or trillions. But I would urge you to think about two bullet/baguettes on either side set E/W, if that makes sense.

I love your stone!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Great stone! My first thought was bullets but with Uppy's new setting in mind, trillions would also be wonderful.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you set it E/W will there be room for side stones?

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
WOW, so many answers. Thank you everyone for your time & thoughts and please keep them coming.

I dont think I'll be setting the stone E-W as it has a very slight bowtie effect in some lights when orientated that way and I know that would start to bug me after a while, so it will almost certainly be a N-S setting cos I never see the Bowtie when the stone is orientated that way.

It looks like bullet or shield are the leading shape at the moment, so I need you to indulge my ignorance further.

Are they the same thing? or are there differences?

I did try doing a google search on shapes but couldnt find anything about shields but did find bullets. And found out that they can be straight or tapered, and brilliant cut or step cut so I have yet another question ...

If I go that route, do you think tapered would be best? cos of the whole angle thing, or would straight be better?

also I'm thinking brilliant cut would match the scintillation of the zircon better, or do you think the side stones should be step cut to let the zircon shine?

Sorry for so many questions, I really appreciate your help and patience.

mac

ETA: I'm almost certain the prongs at the zircon are going to be rose gold (thank you TL for that suggestion in my other thread :love:), the rest of the ring will be white gold.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tapered will be better just from an aesthetic point of view because they will hit the main stone where it is wide and flat so you want them flared out there and then pointed at the end (to continue the look). Dreadful description but hope that makes sense!

Bullets tyically have very straight angles. Shields vary and can be very trillion like or slightly more straight edged and more like a bullet. See below for some examples.

Diamond bullet shape.jpg

Diamonds shield shape.jpg

Diamonds shield shape2.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like bullets then traps

ETA: Very pretty gemstone.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MAC-W|1305447712|2922212 said:
WOW, so many answers. Thank you everyone for your time & thoughts and please keep them coming.

I dont think I'll be setting the stone E-W as it has a very slight bowtie effect in some lights when orientated that way and I know that would start to bug me after a while, so it will almost certainly be a N-S setting cos I never see the Bowtie when the stone is orientated that way.

It looks like bullet or shield are the leading shape at the moment, so I need you to indulge my ignorance further.

Are they the same thing? or are there differences?

I did try doing a google search on shapes but couldnt find anything about shields but did find bullets. And found out that they can be straight or tapered, and brilliant cut or step cut so I have yet another question ...

If I go that route, do you think tapered would be best? cos of the whole angle thing, or would straight be better?

also I'm thinking brilliant cut would match the scintillation of the zircon better, or do you think the side stones should be step cut to let the zircon shine?

Sorry for so many questions, I really appreciate your help and patience.

mac

ETA: I'm almost certain the prongs at the zircon are going to be rose gold (thank you TL for that suggestion in my other thread :love:), the rest of the ring will be white gold.

The two tone of rose gold prongs and white gold would be sooo dreamy!!! That would make a beautiful combo!!!
On the side stones my opinion is the brilliont cuts would give you the... "Who Ah!" factor!! (al pacino, Scent of a woman) I think they'd highlight your Zircon exceptionally well. :)
But always make the choice that brings warm feelings to your heart. :twirl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mac,
I haven't voted because I would like to first be sure that you are aware of the size issue. I understand that your finger is a size 7 but even so, wearing a 5 ct stone is going to be quite substantial as it is. Adding side stones is going to pack an enormous punch. In addition, the shape of sidestones will affect the impact of that punch.

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
I voted for pear side stones, and would mount it vertically instead of EW. Beautiful stone!!!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

zircozoid.jpg

zircoguette.jpg

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
WOW, I'm so envious of your photoshop skills. I love the baguettes, but I think the "zoids" make it look too heavy. Still wondering about trillions though. Really neat how you did that, VL.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!

VL, that is so great of you to do that :love: :love: Thank you thank you thank you.

Its made me realise I definately dont want traps with this stone. They make it look too chunky which is not the look I want in this case. I like chunky in many cases but not for this stone.

I'm really liking the second photo. It makes my stone look lovely and I really like the proportions. Where did you find the original photo that you photoshoped my stone into?

Could I be really really cheeky and ask that if you have the time, could you do a photoshop of my stone with pears? If thats too cheeky a question then please forgive. I definately wont be offended if you cant, cos I know its a big imposition to ask (but to quote my Scottish husband - "Nae cheek, nae gain" ;-) )

T

talamasca

WOW VL how cool is that!!

Personally, I def prefer it with the baguettes

Absolutely LOVE your stone Mac-W :love:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I voted other shape. I think it'd look really pretty with some small marquise sides, or I thought asschers as something unique!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE it with the baguettes.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Bags!!

A fab stone mac!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results