shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Estimate the percent of Tiffany Modern Round Brilliants with "ideal" proportions

What percent of Tiffany Round Brilliants meet the communities "recommended proportions" criteria?

• 0%-1%

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1%-3%

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 3%-5%

• 5%-10%

• 10%-15%

• 15%-20%

• 20%-25%

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Tiff1886

Rough_Rock
*First post ever - but I have spent about a month educating myself on this forum and across the web*

What percent of Tiffany Round Brilliants meet the forums "member recommended proportions" criteria?
I've looked through forum posts, eBay, online vendors, and also asked the local Tiffany store to search the US inventory. I am seeing very few Tiffany stones that meet the criteria

For this poll, lets use the following definitions:

Ideal = Member Recommended Proportions as defined in the advanced education section of the website

Member Recommended Proportions
Table: 55 – 58 %
Crown Angle: 34 – 35 °
Pavilion Angle: 40.6 – 40.9 °
Lower Halves: 75 – 80 %
Depth: 60 – 62.5 %
Girdle: Thin-Medium or Medium-SlightlyThick

Super Ideal = Ideal Proportions + Hearts and Arrows = "perfect" optical symmetry

For this poll we are estimating the percent that meet member reccomended proportions criteria (not super ideals). I am unable to add more than one question in the poll. I might make another thread where we estimate the percent of Tiffany cuts that meet "super ideal" criteria.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Welcome to PS.
This is a very weird first post.
The answer is no one outside of Tiffany knows the answer and they don't care.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS.
The answer is no one outside of Tiffany knows the answer and they don't care.

This

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you ultimately want to do with this information?

We won’t be able to answer - any guesses are just going to be pure and pointless speculation. But perhaps we can help you achieve whatever your end goal is without this speculation.

Edit: Just going by your handle - 1886, the year Tiffany released #TheTiffanySolitaire mount - I’m going to assume you want to buy a Tiffany ring but want to ensure you’re getting a fantastic diamond? If that’s the case this community can certainly help…

Tiff1886

Rough_Rock
Welcome to PS.

Thank you - I'm glad to have found the forum. I started off knowing nothing about diamonds and thanks to the education section on this forum, I learned that cut is king.

I read for hours on PriceScope and across the web at Beyond4Cs, ProsumerDiamonds, Whiteflash articles, etc...

I learned about Tolkowsky ideals, tradeoff between brilliance and fire, CA/PA relationships, star length, lower half length, etc. I studied ideal-scope and ASET images and really started to appreciate optical symmetry and super ideals.

After learning all that I started trying to find a Tiffany Setting with an ideal cut stone.

It is not easy to do - but it has been done before :)

So I'm hoping this is a fun poll to estimate what the odds are in finding one.

For folks that have been around and seen a lot of rocks - please draw on their experience and make your best guess.

And for folks like me - it will inform how hard it is to find a "diamond in the rough."

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
So sounds it like you have to have the Tiffanys brand but want a super ideal cut?

Why not buy ASET and Ideal scopes so you can judge contenders with your own eyes?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your best bet is to ask Tiffany to look for diamonds within the cut parameters you provide them. Guessing percentages of their merchandise is just a fool’s game. In the alternative, if it does not absolutely have to be Tiffany, you can buy a super ideal cut from a super ideal cut vendor and put it in a Vatche U113 setting. Very similar look with a fabulously cut diamond.

Tiff1886

Rough_Rock
So sounds it like you have to have the Tiffanys brand but want a super ideal cut?

Why not buy ASET and Ideal scopes so you can judge contenders with your own eyes?

Yep - it might not make rational sense because it would be much easier to go with one of the super ideal sellers. When I first started, I knew nothing and thought any Tiffany ring would be ideal. Then I learned more and set out to find one with as close to a super ideal as I could. I already bought an idealscope - thanks for the suggestion.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
A diamond's cut and performance is both a science and an art. There are diamonds that perform beautifully that do not fall exactly within those parameters. And there are some stones within those parameters, that don't wow me. Personally, I would select a diamond that delights my eyes in person.

If you are set on Tiffany, (I don't care one way or the other, Tiffany vs super ideal - its your money) then I'd select a Tiffany diamond ring that spoke to me visually when seen in person. Even when selecting a super ideal (like ACA, etc) there may be some stones you don't care for in person (I know there are for me). Numbers can be helpful and guide you, but aren't the be-all, end-all.

And one final thought. For many/most of us, diamond shrinkage is real. Are you going to be happy forever with the size of your Tiffany diamond? Are you going to be in a position where you can use their upgrade program should you desire a larger stone? (it used to be 2x the money originally spent but I do not know what it currently is). If not, or if there is any doubt, I'd go with a company like Whiteflash instead whose upgrade program is easy and will let you have a lot more flexibility.

Tiff1886

Rough_Rock
Edit: Just going by your handle - 1886, the year Tiffany released #TheTiffanySolitaire mount - I’m going to assume you want to buy a Tiffany ring but want to ensure you’re getting a fantastic diamond? If that’s the case this community can certainly help…

Yep - you got it! I chose the screen name Tiff1886 because I am searching for a Tiffany ring with a cut that meets the the Price Scope criteria.

katyb

Rough_Rock
Just an anecdote. My son took his girlfriend to Tiffany & Co. in late March to see if she liked any rings there. One, in particular, spoke to her: a Tiffany Novo with a princess cut. He bought it for her, and it sparkles like crazy. It was bought on pure emotion. There were no ASET images, examination of proportions, or even a look at the diamond under different lighting – all things recommended before purchasing a diamond. Later, just for my own edification, I compared the main diamond to Whiteflash's A Cut Above princess diamonds. The Tiffany diamond's proportions were right in line with those of the Cut Above diamonds. So were my son and his fiancee just lucky? Who knows? But even if the proportions were off, you know what matters the most? The fact that she loves that ring.

Tiff1886

Rough_Rock
Your best bet is to ask Tiffany to look for diamonds within the cut parameters you provide them.

Yep. This is actually what prompted the poll. I asked Tiffany and was surprised at how few met the recommended proportions. So I started to wonder what are the odds really were.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
A diamond's cut and performance is both a science and an art. There are diamonds that perform beautifully that do not fall exactly within those parameters. And there are some stones within those parameters, that don't wow me. Personally, I would select a diamond that delights my eyes in person.

If you are set on Tiffany, (I don't care one way or the other, Tiffany vs super ideal - its your money) then I'd select a Tiffany diamond ring that spoke to me visually when seen in person. Even when selecting a super ideal (like ACA, etc) there may be some stones you don't care for in person (I know there are for me). Numbers can be helpful and guide you, but aren't the be-all, end-all.

And one final thought. For many/most of us, diamond shrinkage is real. Are you going to be happy forever with the size of your Tiffany diamond? Are you going to be in a position where you can use their upgrade program should you desire a larger stone? (it used to be 2x the money originally spent but I do not know what it currently is). If not, or if there is any doubt, I'd go with a company like Whiteflash instead whose upgrade program is easy and will let you have a lot more flexibility.

I agree completely. Buy what speaks to you, whether it be Tiffany or otherwise.

I recently bought (and returned) a .41ct Tiffany solitaire. It was a beautiful stone, outside of AGS ideal proportions, well inside of GIA XXX, it had great personality. Always busy. Also, I adore the Tiffany setting.
I replaced it with a .40 Whiteflash ACA, which behaves much differently. I think I preferred the Tiffany stone’s light play, but the color was too low for me.
I have several Tiffany diamond bands and they’re absolutely perfect. Tiffany is capable of putting out a good product, albeit much more expensive and you have to do the work in finding a stone that you love.

There’s no way to know what % of Tiffany branded stones fit into ideal parameters. Not just ideal by the numbers, but ideal by the wearer’s eye.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask Tiffany to find you a stone with those parameters. You won't have much luck randomly buying one and hoping it falls within the parameters, it likely won't.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think your range of proportions is not Ideal.
It is "recommended" and fits with the concept of super ideal (what ever that means).
By the Pricescope recommendations I believe you will find about maybe 1/4rd would qualify as 'ideal'.
So your poll and your aspirations asking and answering different questions.
pricescope-education-070-diamond-proportions-800-e1627140799789.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results