• 1. Blue only

• 2. Yellow only

• 3. Both but prioritize blue

• 4. Both but prioritize yellow

• 5. Neither!

Results are only viewable after voting.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Feeling a bit undecided and troubled (first world problem, I know!) so poll time it is. Crowdsourcing some collective wisdom...

Background:
I saw a few new stones recently including an unheated 6ct blue sapphire and a 7.1ct yellow sapphire, both from Sri Lanka.

AC06435E-328D-48A5-96E4-8B0BFDBF3727.jpeg
1B0F4674-5B6C-40DE-9C19-F6F161D510B2.jpeg
333CD849-0F00-4A26-AA4E-0F87BF9F616C.jpeg
60EB8B25-96CB-4626-B0EE-9319E63DC7B2.jpeg
A917C834-834A-41B3-8B18-BFA1DA529C47.jpeg
D32E4573-3315-446F-AFA2-DAD4AAFB21C1.jpeg
E31A52E5-F1DD-4336-AFE0-6ED5D4D1C98A.jpeg
839CDE0C-C065-4063-B5BA-7FBDFEBBE334.jpeg

More pics and videos in this thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-want-to-be-thanos.250931/

Question:
So... am undecided which to get and was wondering which would you get? And why?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both but prioritize yellow.
Basing on pictures only - not stats.
Because I liked the other 6.5 pastel blue you looked at prior, better.
And agree with all the other comments that yellow tones are all over the place, so if you like this yellow- jump.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow!

That cut is divine and I agree with Rfisher that yellow tones can be all over the place. You may not find one you like in such a nice cut too.

Put it this way: If tomorrow you rang and the vendor said the blue was sold how would you feel?

How would you feel if it was the yellow that sold?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO Blue since that was your original intent. Add the yellow if you can, but I’d hate for you to regret not getting what your heart desired to begin with. I love the blue too! Good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the yellow heated? Any paperwork for both? Based on colouration and cut, the yellow looks brighter and more vibrant than the blue.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Although I can't believe I'm saying this because it tends to be one of my least favorite colors, I think you should get the yellow. I say this because it's a shade you like and the cutting is wonderful. While I like the blue, and agree it seems to be a very good deal, there are things that aren't ideal like the cutting, the inclusion that you've expressed concern over, and the color seems to not be exactly what you want.

Of course unless you get both! But it's easy for me to spend your money;)2

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Is the yellow heated? Any paperwork for both? Based on colouration and cut, the yellow looks brighter and more vibrant than the blue.

Unheated for both. GIT cert and tested for color stability for the yellow. Blue has been checked by local lab as unheated and Sri Lanka but no cert yet since haven’t decided to buy... local lab said too sparkly to be cornflower. o_O According to my jeweller my local lab is super strict.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For something that expensive, I would still defer to at least GIA, AGL, SSEF and Gubelin. There's cases of smaller labs testing as not heated but larger labs testing it as heated. There's no such thing as "too sparkly to be cornflower". Cornflower is a specific tone and hue. Sparkly relates to the cut/brilliancy.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Unheated for both. GIT cert and tested for color stability for the yellow. Blue has been checked by local lab as unheated and Sri Lanka but no cert yet since haven’t decided to buy... local lab said too sparkly to be cornflower. o_O According to my jeweller my local lab is super strict.

I love Mr Zeng of Nanyang Labs. Speaks absolute sense backed up by facts and so straight with you.

If it ain't, it ain't - even if you scream the house down.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Vote cast.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
For something that expensive, I would still defer to at least GIA, AGL, SSEF and Gubelin. There's cases of smaller labs testing as not heated but larger labs testing it as heated. There's no such thing as "too sparkly to be cornflower". Cornflower is a specific tone and hue. Sparkly relates to the cut/brilliancy.

It’s recognized by CIBJO so I’m ok with the cert. A gubelin cert is another 2k so I’ll pass unless the cert cost is below 10% of the gem cost. AGL is not really recognized in my part of the world. I can go for GRS if needed but as mentioned I’m comfortable with GIT. If some other labs then maybe not...

Too sparkly as in not velvety enough. Sparkly is my terminology. The gem needs more “smoke” to have that velvety look.

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I am not comfortable with GIT for sapphires in that price range. I also checked the lab pricing for Gubelin and it is no where near $2K.

https://www.gubelingemlab.com/tl_files/content/PDF/Prices/Laboratory_Services_NY_2018.pdf
https://www.gubelingemlab.com/tl_files/content/PDF/Prices/Laboratory_Services_HK_2018.pdf
$500 USD for without origin
$1000 USD with origin
GIA is only $120.

Who is charging you $2K for Gubelin? Something is shady here.

If I am spending $20K USD for a stone, I want it to be exactly as stated. $120 is nothing in comparison to finding out that it has been heated.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I love Mr Zeng of Nanyang Labs. Speaks absolute sense backed up by facts and so straight with you.

If it ain't, it ain't - even if you scream the house down.

I’ve personally seen him stand up to suppliers demanding for pad color cert. But he said no. I was quite impressed. And apparently it’s quite common occurrence that he insists no if he doesn’t think so.

My jeweler said that based on his experience if Nanyang is willing to give certain color grade, then shouldn’t have problem with GRS, Gubelin (but Gubelin only gives royal blue and pigeon blood), etc.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like @mellowyellowgirl's advice. Sorry but I would rather abstain, as I think it is far more important what you think (also my vote would have been tinctured by my dislike for yellow -- so honestly it would have been the blue or hold out for a smaller one with better cut/colour. Which really isnt relevant here as you like the yellow stone with your skin tone.).

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I am not comfortable with GIT for sapphires in that price range. I also checked the lab pricing for Gubelin and it is no where near $2K.

https://www.gubelingemlab.com/tl_files/content/PDF/Prices/Laboratory_Services_NY_2018.pdf
https://www.gubelingemlab.com/tl_files/content/PDF/Prices/Laboratory_Services_HK_2018.pdf
$500 USD for without origin
$1000 USD with origin

Who is charging you $2K for Gubelin?

Approximation in local currency. SGD 2k. Plus shipping etc. Not worth the cost imo unless I have an auction worthy gemstone. Like if it’s a 50k gem, then yes I would expect Gubelin, SSEF or at minimum GRS, or maybe 2 certs.

I guess it’s like how I’m quite comfortable with my local lab and understand if most non-Singapore based folks won’t be since it’s similar to my comfort level for other local labs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
USD and SGD are almost 1:1 so they are charging you $1.5K for shipping?

In any case, I'll bow out. My threshold is far lower than yours.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
USD and SGD are almost 1:1 so they are charging you $1.5K for shipping?

In any case, I'll bow out. My threshold is far lower than yours.

I wish it was 1 to 1. Currently 1.388. Shipping is a few hundred and I dunno how much so I rounded to 2k local currency which is USD1.44k to get a Gubelin cert.

I am not willing to pay almost 30% the cost of the gem just to get a Gubelin cert.

voce

Ideal_Rock
If I were you, I'd pass on the blue and get yellow. The blue isn't the finest of its color, but the yellow is. If I were you, even if I got that blue I'd still want a truer velvety cornflower, in which case I don't think I would spend $9k on another blue.

But, that's me, and you may feel very differently about the 6 ct blue. In all fairness, in my stage of life I don't feel comfortable wearing gems larger than 2 ct. I don't want to attract too much attention to my fine jewelry, at work or elsewhere.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
From my simple observation, the biggest one on Thanos is YELLOW and you said that you want to be THANOS...YELLOW

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue! And save up for yellow.
Yet only if you really really love these stones. The prices are reasonable but it’s still quite an amount

I love the blue in all pics except the first. And I love the blue in the videos in your other thread.
The yelllow is beautiful in all the pics too. But I have a huge preference for blue. And I know how difficult it is to find a good one.

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tbh neither. If you set out to get a good blue that hits all the spots, hold out for one or look beyond Wriston. But understand if that's not within your comfort zone.

NGI is good enough to test for heat/unheated stones. Wouldn't reallly rely on them for colour grading but does that really matter since it's so subjective to begin with, even among labs? However they are not exactly as strict as they claim since they grade icy jadeite as glassy variety when they strictly aren't. Oh well, still humans afterall. Nice folks too.

They recently tested a friend's jadeite item that was set by setter near NGI. You'd know whom, accented English. Guess what. NGI informed the diamonds are manmade stimulants. Total OMG and I count my blessings the A-hole only set 1 item for me ever as he was too busy to tend to others. He's a real horror to chase and rectify problems. Friend hounded him to reset with real diamonds as the setter claimed the South Asian trader he buys diamonds from must have done the swap and he had to wait for 2 months to get the diamonds and reset the item. Well, he has lost 1 customer there.

So moral of story is, even in comfort zone, known entities in Sg, they can be complete dodgeballs too. Just be careful and also send your set items for random tests to see if the diamond melee used are real or stimulants.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
*Stimulant=simulant

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
If I were you, I'd pass on the blue and get yellow. The blue isn't the finest of its color, but the yellow is. If I were you, even if I got that blue I'd still want a truer velvety cornflower, in which case I don't think I would spend $9k on another blue.

But, that's me, and you may feel very differently about the 6 ct blue. In all fairness, in my stage of life I don't feel comfortable wearing gems larger than 2 ct. I don't want to attract too much attention to my fine jewelry, at work or elsewhere.

Yes yellow it is!

Is the bolded part due to safety reasons or something we should all consider?

From my simple observation, the biggest one on Thanos is YELLOW and you said that you want to be THANOS...YELLOW

Not literally want to be Thanos. Maybe I should have said I want the infinity stones hahahah.

Being Wonder Woman is great if I can look like Gal Gadot and not have to wear skin tight clothes.

Blue! And save up for yellow.
Yet only if you really really love these stones. The prices are reasonable but it’s still quite an amount

I love the blue in all pics except the first. And I love the blue in the videos in your other thread.
The yelllow is beautiful in all the pics too. But I have a huge preference for blue. And I know how difficult it is to find a good one.

I know! It’s very very hard for me to give up the blue. Really really angst over the decision. But I just don’t love it you know?

Tbh neither. If you set out to get a good blue that hits all the spots, hold out for one or look beyond Wriston. But understand if that's not within your comfort zone.

NGI is good enough to test for heat/unheated stones. Wouldn't reallly rely on them for colour grading but does that really matter since it's so subjective to begin with, even among labs? However they are not exactly as strict as they claim since they grade icy jadeite as glassy variety when they strictly aren't. Oh well, still humans afterall. Nice folks too.

They recently tested a friend's jadeite item that was set by setter near NGI. You'd know whom, accented English. Guess what. NGI informed the diamonds are manmade stimulants. Total OMG and I count my blessings the A-hole only set 1 item for me ever as he was too busy to tend to others. He's a real horror to chase and rectify problems. Friend hounded him to reset with real diamonds as the setter claimed the South Asian trader he buys diamonds from must have done the swap and he had to wait for 2 months to get the diamonds and reset the item. Well, he has lost 1 customer there.

So moral of story is, even in comfort zone, known entities in Sg, they can be complete dodgeballs too. Just be careful and also send your set items for random tests to see if the diamond melee used are real or stimulants.

You have any good contacts for stones (not Burma based) that you can share? ;)2

Yeah I’m not that hung up about the color grading and I don’t need a trade name to love the stone. It’s just a nice to have :lol:

I don’t know which setter. Is it the one near the end towards the Goodwood Park side? Sounds terrible.

And good tip re settings. Have you had any problems with the HK setters?

Reactions: AV_

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, mostly for safety reasons for now, some for social reasons. I rent in an average neighborhood, and haven't bought my own home, so haven't bought my own safe. I don't pay insurance for jewelry, since each piece is unique and irreplaceable to me, so a loss wouldn't only be about the money. I don't want to make myself a target of thieves and robbers with too much bling. I also don't need to draw attention in a way that makes people think I make too much money, because goodness knows it's the men at the company who make the most and spend it on supporting their own families). Goodness forbid, if I ever have to negotiate for a raise, people talk behind my back on how much I spend on something as "frivolous" as jewelry. I think I am not living an extravagant lifestyle because every piece I acquire I intend it for friends and family, or to pass on as heirlooms.

From sparse details passed down from my grandparents before they passed away (they never divulged very much detail), I believe I am descended from a lineage that, 100-200 years ago, was among the richest in China, producing multiple scholars high in the bureaucracy, one of whom was even a tutor to an emperor. That side of the family lost their wealth in the Chinese Civil War and their lives in some purges in the 1950s. Perhaps the only reason my grandmother's immediate family was spared was that she didn't have that knowledge at the time, and she was in the PLA as a medical cadet during the Korean War. (My fiance, however, can trace his family back hundreds of years because they're English and Canadian. They have not had to deal with such tumultuous events in recent centuries.) I feel like history has deprived my family of that part of our identity, and I like the thought of creating pieces to pass to future generations.

Anyway, I didn't mean to share so much, but this may have something to do with what I like to get these days, quality over size/quantity. I think the larger you go, the less "transferable" it is since it's not always the bigger the better with younger generations. So I try to go for quality gems and set them in ways that give good finger coverage and will last a really long time. I mostly stay away from bezel settings in case stones need to be repolished or swapped out. Of course, there are pieces like my Easter paraiba ring and crown ring that are very much personal taste as well, that may be less "transferable" for entirely different reasons. :mrgreen2:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes yellow it is!

Not literally want to be Thanos. Maybe I should have said I want the infinity stones hahahah.

Being Wonder Woman is great if I can look like Gal Gadot and not have to wear skin tight clothes.

I know! It’s very very hard for me to give up the blue. Really really angst over the decision. But I just don’t love it you know?

You have any good contacts for stones (not Burma based) that you can share? ;)2

Yeah I’m not that hung up about the color grading and I don’t need a trade name to love the stone. It’s just a nice to have :lol:

I don’t know which setter. Is it the one near the end towards the Goodwood Park side? Sounds terrible.

And good tip re settings. Have you had any problems with the HK setters?

Mmm I have a Bkk-based contact that sourced my bargain emeralds for me :)

Yup. Near Goodwood Park side. There are 2 so this is the one physically nearer to NGI. Next time when you walk by you will know.

Yes. I gave up on the HK setters who charge arm and leg and screwed up my moonstone pair that I haven't been able to replace the stones. I send mine direct to China setter now who does good work and transparent breakdown of gold weight, diamonds and labour fee. They don't charge for silly moulds too. Friend that sets with same setter sent in random pieces to NGI to test. Diamonds are real. I still have to find the time to bring down my pieces to a Yangon lab to test 18k gold purity or less. But am happy with the work so far. They rectify problems too.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the blue better with your skin tone. Can I say that? o_O

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I like the blue better with your skin tone. Can I say that? o_O

Of course you can!

That’s why I usually don’t like yellow. So not my color.

Maybe I should create a chart of stones to aim for based on my season color.... :lol:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course you can!

That’s why I usually don’t like yellow. So not my color.

Maybe I should create a chart of stones to aim for based on my season color.... :lol:

No, yellow's fine! I just meant that I like the blue better!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, mostly for safety reasons for now, some for social reasons. I rent in an average neighborhood, and haven't bought my own home, so haven't bought my own safe. I don't pay insurance for jewelry, since each piece is unique and irreplaceable to me, so a loss wouldn't only be about the money. I don't want to make myself a target of thieves and robbers with too much bling. I also don't need to draw attention in a way that makes people think I make too much money, because goodness knows it's the men at the company who make the most and spend it on supporting their own families). Goodness forbid, if I ever have to negotiate for a raise, people talk behind my back on how much I spend on something as "frivolous" as jewelry. I think I am not living an extravagant lifestyle because every piece I acquire I intend it for friends and family, or to pass on as heirlooms.

From sparse details passed down from my grandparents before they passed away (they never divulged very much detail), I believe I am descended from a lineage that, 100-200 years ago, was among the richest in China, producing multiple scholars high in the bureaucracy, one of whom was even a tutor to an emperor. That side of the family lost their wealth in the Chinese Civil War and their lives in some purges in the 1950s. Perhaps the only reason my grandmother's immediate family was spared was that she didn't have that knowledge at the time, and she was in the PLA as a medical cadet during the Korean War. (My fiance, however, can trace his family back hundreds of years because they're English and Canadian. They have not had to deal with such tumultuous events in recent centuries.) I feel like history has deprived my family of that part of our identity, and I like the thought of creating pieces to pass to future generations.

Anyway, I didn't mean to share so much, but this may have something to do with what I like to get these days, quality over size/quantity. I think the larger you go, the less "transferable" it is since it's not always the bigger the better with younger generations. So I try to go for quality gems and set them in ways that give good finger coverage and will last a really long time. I mostly stay away from bezel settings in case stones need to be repolished or swapped out. Of course, there are pieces like my Easter paraiba ring and crown ring that are very much personal taste as well, that may be less "transferable" for entirely different reasons. :mrgreen2:

Wow, thanks for sharing. That’s fascinating family history. If you are ever keen on tracing family history, there is a good chance you can find some info in the “ancestral book” for your surname. Understand that such books are even found in public libraries in China. I’m not from any illustrious family and there is also a book for my family surname.

Understand about safety considerations. It’s quite safe in my country so it’s not really a concern for me but work wise... I understand. Had/have similar concerns as well but I figured I only have that many more years to enjoy left...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results