shape
carat
color
clarity

Polishing cloths? How to keep gold shiny

mk206

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi there! Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to keep gold jewelry looking neat and shiny? I soak in warm water with blue dawn, clean with soft baby toothbrush, and use my magnasonic to try and keep the grime off of my ring. But when it comes to the little scratches on the gold surface that happen over time, what can I do about that? My ring has an 18k yellow shank with platinum prongs. Thanks!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunshine polishing cloths are great for quick polishes and readily available on Amazon.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Shortly after wearing my gold watch, I started to notice those little marks on the gold band and FREAKED OUT! I took it to my jeweler and he whipped out a jar of Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream, and in one minute the scratches were gone. This polish is predominantly used in the auto industry to polish chrome, where even the finest abrasives will leave scratches, but this one removes them. I now use it on all my jewelry and can bring a brand new out of the box look to my husband's beat up platinum band in 10 minutes. I love that stuff! You can't get it in CA anymore, but there's always eBay...:mrgreen2:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use Goddard's silver polish paste and it really takes the tarnish off of yellow gold.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy a jewelry polishing cloth.
It is impregnated with a fine polishing compound.
This will gently remove all the tiny scratches that give gold and silver a dull look over time.
This is the one I use, Fabulustre.
Actually, I have several. They last forever. p1536tlb.jpg

Last edited:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beware that polishing gold means a small amount is removed each time, meaning the ring will eventually become thinner over time. I have learnt to appreciate the scratches, if you can too that would help preserve your ring.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beware that polishing gold means a small amount is removed each time, meaning the ring will eventually become thinner over time. I have learnt to appreciate the scratches, if you can too that would help preserve your ring.

I’m in your camp on this one. My mother has several 18ct gold rings that have worn SO thin that the shanks have snapped. I often wear my grandmothers 18ct & platinum ring from 1937, but it has worn so thin underneath (now less than 1mm diameter) that not only am I worried it will snap, it’s also incredibly sharp to get on & off as it’s like wire.

Personally I absolutely LOVE the patina of wear on rings, particularly wedding rings. Every autumn when my rings get their appraisals, my jeweller knows not to polish them up. He only made that mistake once! The scratches & scuffs, for me, tell their story. It’s their way of writing about your married life :love:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love my patina and history, too! I read once that a light polish is called a “sympathetic” polish. I love that term. :lol:

mk206

Rough_Rock
Premium
I’m in your camp on this one. My mother has several 18ct gold rings that have worn SO thin that the shanks have snapped. I often wear my grandmothers 18ct & platinum ring from 1937, but it has worn so thin underneath (now less than 1mm diameter) that not only am I worried it will snap, it’s also incredibly sharp to get on & off as it’s like wire.

Personally I absolutely LOVE the patina of wear on rings, particularly wedding rings. Every autumn when my rings get their appraisals, my jeweller knows not to polish them up. He only made that mistake once! The scratches & scuffs, for me, tell their story. It’s their way of writing about your married life :love:

Yes! I am aware of this so I was wondering what might be safe to use or how often it’s okay to use it. I’ve understood that it should only get polished at a jeweler every 6 months or so, but didn’t know if there was anything at home that was safe to use in between (or how often it could be used). I don’t want to weaken the ring too fast but I also think my ring looks best when the metal and diamond are both clean and shiny and sparkly. :)

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the shiny look of a newly polished band. Cartier told me to only polish my 2.5 mm gold band once or twice in my lifetime. :knockout:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in the no polish zone myself. I guess I like the lived in look.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I am aware of this so I was wondering what might be safe to use or how often it’s okay to use it. I’ve understood that it should only get polished at a jeweler every 6 months or so, but didn’t know if there was anything at home that was safe to use in between (or how often it could be used). I don’t want to weaken the ring too fast but I also think my ring looks best when the metal and diamond are both clean and shiny and sparkly. :)

Definitely not wise to have a gold ring polished every 6 months. I'd agree with one or twice total ever. Polishing does remove the gold as others have said.

Yellow gold really does not change color like platinum does from scratches and shouldn't get all that scratched up if taken off before cooking, cleaning, etc. Just keep it clean and it will look fine!

mk206

Rough_Rock
Premium
Definitely not wise to have a gold ring polished every 6 months. I'd agree with one or twice total ever. Polishing does remove the gold as others have said.

Yellow gold really does not change color like platinum does from scratches and shouldn't get all that scratched up if taken off before cooking, cleaning, etc. Just keep it clean and it will look fine!

Hmm maybe I have misunderstood something in the past. Is there something else a jeweler does when you bring it in for a cleaning/prong check every 6 months or so? I swear it is so much shinier than when I just clean at home with my magnasonic and toothbrush. Maybe it's the steaming?

I don't want to wear down my gold. Just didn't know if there were "safe" options for polishing cloths or something else to use gently at home every now and then to help keep it shiny.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rings always look better when professionally cleaned, too! I think it really might be the steamer!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Life is short,
If you bothered by small scratches polish them away.
It will take a long time to to remove an appreciable amount of metal and if it gets to thin buy a new setting.

Professional steam cleaning does get rings cleaner than anything else.
I have seen rings that looked perfectly clean but the droplets that came off from the steam were absolutely nasty looking.
Hair spay is the number one jeweler duller and it is hard to remove.
If you want it to look shiny longer put them on after the hairspray is on and dont have them in the area when using hairspray.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Let's not forget that gold is popular for jewelry not only because of its inherent beauty, but because of its malleability. Gold is a "soft" metal and it wears away on its own with use. 18k YG is about 2.75 on the Mohs scale, 14K is 3-4, white gold is 2.8-4 and platinum is about 3.5.

Aggressive/machine polishing will obviously wear gold away, but "sympathetic polishing" done at home by hand is not going to wear away your gold any more than wearing it will. I'm in the camp of liking my metals looking bright and beautiful, without the scars of daily life evident. I polish my rings once a year, and my husband's ring quarterly.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You should absolutely polish the ring if you want to and like the shiny look. I love the look of shiny gold too. :twisted2: It is all up to personal preference. But I simply wanted to warn you. I agree with what has been said, of course you could buy a new ring at a later date. Personally I want to keep my rings and would love it if my children wanted to keep them and maybe wear them. I am so saddened to se my fathers wedding band, that he polishes to death at home with a polishing cloth, it is really thin and super sharp at the edges. He would never buy another ring. I am also saddened to see all beautiful antique rings that are so thin you can barely wear them. I recently bought one that I only wear when I know I wont use that hand because the shank is so worn... ;(
To each their own! But it is better to know what you are doing before it is to late, right?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Long ago, I let a salesperson at a jewelry store polish a ring for me. Big gigantic mistake on my part. I was stupid and uneducated.
This overzealous, seasonal employee (it was in Dec.) was aggressive with the polishing wheel, and my prongs were visibly shorter when he handed the ring back.:angryfire: Never again!!
I polish my own jewelry now.
As for the jewelry cloth I mentioned above, (Fabulustre), I use it mostly on sterling. I polish DH's gold rings occasionally, because he is hard on his jewelry.
I gently touch up my own gold rings maybe once a year.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
You should absolutely polish the ring if you want to and like the shiny look. I love the look of shiny gold too. :twisted2: It is all up to personal preference. But I simply wanted to warn you. I agree with what has been said, of course you could buy a new ring at a later date. Personally I want to keep my rings and would love it if my children wanted to keep them and maybe wear them. I am so saddened to se my fathers wedding band, that he polishes to death at home with a polishing cloth, it is really thin and super sharp at the edges. He would never buy another ring. I am also saddened to see all beautiful antique rings that are so thin you can barely wear them. I recently bought one that I only wear when I know I wont use that hand because the shank is so worn... ;(
To each their own! But it is better to know what you are doing before it is to late, right?
Absolutely it's better to know what you're doing before endeavoring ANYTHING! :lol:

I find there is a big difference between the gentle polishing I do at home on a yearly basis with a very effective product, and compulsively polishing with any type of product, wouldn't you agree? I have not had an experience like @stracci2000 with machine polishing, as my method keeps me from needing it. That's a SAD story!

I have two antique rings that have very thin shanks as well, presumably due to age and wear. I find them very uncomfortable and had one of them built up to a normal width, and regret not having euro shanks added when I had it repaired. My WB/ER have euro shanks and I LOVE THEM.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely it's better to know what you're doing before endeavoring ANYTHING! :lol:

I find there is a big difference between the gentle polishing I do at home on a yearly basis with a very effective product, and compulsively polishing with any type of product, wouldn't you agree? I have not had an experience like @stracci2000 with machine polishing, as my method keeps me from needing it. That's a SAD story!

I have two antique rings that have very thin shanks as well, presumably due to age and wear. I find them very uncomfortable and had one of them built up to a normal width, and regret not having euro shanks added when I had it repaired. My WB/ER have euro shanks and I LOVE THEM.

Haha sure! Well in my country we have a saying, it is like choosing between the plague and cholera. I would rather choose cholera, but prefer not being sick at all. :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is a slightly sad story. The ring was not really altered that much, but I could see a difference.
I did not ask the guy to polish it. I had the diamond reset at this shop, and I was in there browsing.
I mentioned to the guy at the counter that my diamond had been reset there, and he offered to polish it. Foolishly I handed it over, thinking I could trust him because this was a well regarded store, and they did a marvelous job on my ring.
I didnt realize he was taking it to the wheel, until I heard the motor going.
In hindsight, I should've shouted to the rafters that he reduced my prongs. But being rather "green", I didn't.
The ring is fine, but I'm still regretful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results