shape
carat
color
clarity

Polished vs Satin Finish Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tiptoe

Rough_Rock
I not only like white metals, I love satin finished ones. Sometimes they''''re called matt, matte, or brushed.

I can''''t imagine anything nicer than a wide, satin finished, white metal band set with anything - tanzanite, for example.

Am I the only one hunting down satin finishes? They don''''t seem to be readily available.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2005 1:512 AM
Author:tiptoe

Am I the only one hunting down satin finishes?&
No, you are definitely not alone.
4.gif
Anything like this ?

mann3big.gif
mann4big.gif

( by Michael Weggenmann )

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Never seen a finish like that, very interesting

cheers Andrew Lane

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2005 4:21:37 AM
Author: lonewoodminer
Never seen a finish like that, very interesting
Not sure how those rings are done but all "Michael Mann" pieces are non-polished.

I like gold as it comes out of the pickle - looks like silk to me.
1.gif

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Tiptoe,

My jeweler showed me how he does this. He uses a rough looking grinding wheel on a dremel type motor. This can be done to any gold finished piece.

tiptoe

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. There''re different degrees of roughness to the texture of a matte finish. I''ve seen the metal sandblasted to get the textured effect. I like the smooth feeling matte finish - like in the pix. Thanks valeria! But the textured finish is harder to find than the polished metal.

18.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2005 12:40:19 AM
Author: tiptoe
But the textured finish is harder to find than the polished metal.
I think any polished piece can be "unpolished" down to the finish you desire - basically. Some very textured ones are done by engraving (well, sort of), and may not be feasible on just everything, but the soft matte look should be reasonably easy to add on to the usual polished gold pieces
2.gif

Do you know of Estatejewels.com ? These brushed gold pieces turned up on it, thought you might like
37.gif

estatejewels_1827_1789012
estatejewels_1827_3921478

estatejewels_1825_519517
estatejewels_1827_11494344

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
My platinum ering is brushed on the top (polished on bottom). We're probably going to get a 2mm brushed plat band to match too.

Ering:
JCJDpear3.jpg
RingCollage1234567.JPG

When we were gathering ideas for w-bands at some mall jewelers, every single one said they could put the satin finish on their bands while we waited. Don't know about charges for that, but it seems to be readily available if you ask for it.

Hope that helps!

Campbell&Company

Rough_Rock
You could also request sandblasting. Looks great and last a little longer then brush. Both look really cool!

Richard Campbell
Partner
E.G. Campbell & Company Inc.
campbelljewelers.com

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2005 6
6.gif
9:16 PM
Author: Campbell&Company
You could also request sandblasting. Looks great and last a little longer then brush. Both look really cool!

Richard Campbell
Partner
E.G. Campbell & Company Inc.
campbelljewelers.com
HI:

Welcome! Any examples?

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results