shape
carat
color
clarity

Polished or Satin finish?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
After almost a year and a half of marriage, my 3mm platinum wedding band (with scattered diamonds of various sizes) is sufficiently scratched and it''s time for a polishing. I''ve been thinking about having a satin finish applied to help bring out the diamonds, however, and wanted to ask the members of PS before committing.

Can a (platinum) diamond band have a satin finish applied without affecting the diamonds?
Is a satin finish comfortable against the skin?

Most importantly, would you vote for a satin finish (a la Etienne Perret''s Starlight Bands) or a re-polish?

Any input is appreciated!
10.gif

sparklestick

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I had a pair of silver rings I used to wear all the time one satin and one polished finish. Within a very short space of time the satin one would look polished. I am not sure if this is the same with platinum but I just had a new ring made similar to the style of a Starlight band and went with a polish finish as over time the platinum gets scratched up and dull anyway. I have an etoile style ring currently and when polished you hardly notice the stones, after a few weeks of rough love you see them more clearly. I had my etoile polished when I went to pick up my new ring so they would be the same. I attach a picture so you can see the polished finish as opposed to the Etienne satin look.

Hope this helps.

Copy of Sparklestick 3.jpg

sparklestick

Shiny_Rock
Sorry just reread your original message and realised that you know full well what it looks like polished as that is what you already have. Sorry - I put the children to bed in the middle of replying and totally forgot what I was answering.
32.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thank you sparkle- and no worries! I love both of your rings.

You bring up a good point- will the satin finish become smoother with time? I assume it needs as much upkeep as a polished ring, though I'm not sure.

Anyone else? Bueller?
10.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Shigidigi has a brushed finish on her palladium set, and it does wear down, but she has a special cloth or something that she uses to maintain it. I recall someone else having a ring re-done to be satin; I''ll see if I can find the thread. I seem to remember that the process is reversible and certainly does not damage diamonds, but I can''t say for rubies.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
My hubby's ring has a brushed finished in the center, with polished sides. Over time the sides and middle look the same- scratched. Here is a picture for reference. (FYI- He does EVERYTHING with his ring on, so it gets banged around a lot.)
ETA- I think his diamond definitely looks nicer when the ring is polished properly, not all scratched up!

scratchedeat.JPG

etienneperret

Rough_Rock
You can put a matte or satin finish on gold or platinum with out hurting your gemstones. The matte and satin finishes will tend to show the gemstones more than a high polish finish. Just remember that you can always go back to the other finish. You might also consider that the rings will eventually go to the patina that represents what you do with your hands.

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t like a satin finish on ladies rings so my vote is for a re polish. GL!

lux

Rough_Rock
The satin finish will wear or smooth over time just like the polished finish- my husband''s ring is part polished, part satin, and the satin wore off as quickly as the polished part got scratched... :)

the brushed looks gorgeous with diamonds, though, and i somehow feel like it is easier to maintain, even if reality tells me otherwise. i just think i''d rather not worry about scratches constantly, especially if you work with your hands/are tough on rings.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I vote repolish! My DH''s wedding band has polished sides and a satin center and the satin has rubbed off over time. Do you wear your e-ring with your wedding band? If you do, you would probably want to add satin to your e-ring a well. But for the etoile-style bands, I love the polished look!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results