shape
carat
color
clarity

polished girdle decreasing colour grading

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mike2

Rough_Rock
Mr. Diamond dealer told my " lady" and I that polishing the girdle on a round I stone, changes the grading in some way?
How does this work? and do we want a polished or rough, non polished girdle?
TTFN
errrr.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is the most absurd information I've ever heard.

Girdles come in 2 flavors. Faceted or bruted. The finish on a girdle has absolutely no bearing on it's beauty or value and some of the finest most rare cuts in the world have either bruted girdles or faceted girdles. If you've narrowed down a stone that is to your liking and the girdle is bruted instead of faceted don't let a silly thing like that discourage your decision. Same holds if the girdle was faceted and you wanted it bruted.

What should concern you way more than that is if the girdle is too thin or too thick and it's symmetry (wavy or straight) and even more importantly it's cut quality.

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Rhino

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mike 2,
This is a perfect example that not every "Diamond dealer" is a diamond dealer,... I am thinking maybe there was a differnt girdle on his mind,... You know,.. 3rh floor ladies lingerie?! Yes that's what I meant,...
I would not let your lady see this guy again,...
Best
George
GLE Gem Imports
2.gif

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Polished girdles, frosted girdles, and faceted girdles
will not effect the price, but, it would not surprise me
in the least if some people have a preference.

Kirk Konst

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I've heard it said that a "frosted" girdle can sometimes very slightly help make a stone look a nuance whiter (because of the introduction of "white" into the interior of the stone from inner girdle reflections), but I've yet to see anything that confirms this.

Has anyone had any experience with this? A diamond cutter would be a good one to ask.

Also, a poor bruting job (usually done too rapidly) is sometimes covered up by polishing or faceting the girdle. Evidence of the poor job sometimes remains in the form of minute or significant "bearding", which would affect the clarity grade.

I remember reading that a fine frosted (bruted) girdle is more difficult to create than a polished or faceted girdle. A "lost art" so to speak. Does anyone have any knowledge in this regards?

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Intresting point Rich!

WOW! your almost at 500 posts.
1.gif

I almost forgot to mention a waxy girdle.

Kirk Konst

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
I vaguely remember that Marty Haske wrote something in the past about polished girdles possibly having a negative impact on apparent color due to dirt and metal fragment buildup.

I'm sure it must be more difficult for the average person to keep a polished/bruted girdle clean than a faceted one.

Personally, I prefer faceted - it's just more esthetically pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results