shape
carat
color
clarity

Polish

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went back and looked at a diamond today at a jewellers which I saw before but this time took my 10x loupe. This diamond has the worst polish I have ever seen. I do not intend to buy it. Why is the polish so bad, on one facet I can actually see two different directions of polish. There also seems to be a large scratch going around the pavillion of the diamond so it looks round from inside and is on the surface.

Would this have to do with graining, if so the whole stone must be full of it. I cannot see any grain lines but the polish is so rough that I do not know if it is just polish or uneven grain underneath it.

Very interested to know why the polish is so bad. The jeweller said nothing when I mentioned the polish. I wish I could post a picture of it on here but ofcourse do not have one.

Why would it show two directions of polish on one kite facet, this may have been repeated on other facets that I did not notice. The two directions seem to go in different directions like a 'v' shape about the middle of the kite facet. In a way it looks like the natural photos in Gary Roskin's book - sort of smooth & wavy looking like horsetail between the two directions. However, every facet except I think the table showed polish lines ALL OVER THEM. I can even see the polish lines on the pavillion when looking through the table is that normal?

PS The diamond is a brilliant cut and only 0.47 carats so looks okay to the naked eye.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BUMP

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Pyramid,

It''s actually very easy to tell the difference between polish lines and surface graining. Polish lines are straight parallel lines. They never cross facet junctions and run in opposite directions on adjacent facets. Surgace grain lines cross facet junctions and can be straight, curved or have a cubic appearance. They can also look whitish. Here are a couple of examples of surface graining.

SGr2.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you again Fuffi. There is one kite facet which has lines in two directions sloping and then horizontal on the same facet next to it, sort of like this

///===
///===

I am thinking it may be like the first photo you posted and looks similar to that at the right hand side of that same photo.

I did not know the graining could run cubic to look like that. Would this be grainig if it is on the same facet in two directions do you think?
Does this mean that the diamond could have been polished from a cube shaped stone and not an octahedron perhaps?

Also is surface graining as bad as internal graining or not for strength?

This is very interesting.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the first photo of surface graining, why would the graining be in a cubic form like that on the surface? Are the internal grain lines in the same direction?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bump

Sorry just reallised this is thanksgiving over there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results