shape
carat
color
clarity

polish lines

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would a diamond with polish lines on each facet be caused by internal graining, internal graining is not a clarity characteristic in this diamond though.
so why all the polish stripes? Would it be facet hardness or internal graining?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
36.gif

Since Garry H will be sleeing right now - anybody else.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Polish lines on each and every facet? Wow, I have never seen that.

Maybe you really have a stone that is completely polished automatically. In that case, you are bound to have polishing lines everywhere.

Live long,

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Polish lines are simply sloppy marks for a cutter. A master cutter can actually HEAR a stone on the wheel, and can check after each facet polishing how the stone looks. This could be due to improper conditions on the scaife (polishing wheel) when a polisher is polishing the stone.

Polish marks on a stone are actually even worse, as they are slight whitish lines that show buring of the diamond, wheeas polish MARKS are only the lines that show a poorer polish on a facet.

They are considered blemishes, and although surface graining is a blemish as well, it''s really due to irregularities in the crystal structure of the diamond, and is present during the growth prcess of the rough. Can surface graining become more obvious due to polishing, YES, but are surface raining lines directly related to polish marks, no.

Diamond rough have certain directions that are best for cleaving, polishing and cutting. If you try to polish on the tougher side of the rough, you can get something called "lizard skin" which are wavy lines somewhat akin to lizard''s skin, showing the resistance the stone showed to the polishing on that plane.

But as long as the polisher is polishing on the proper side of the stone, they polish marks and polish lines can be avoided, but surface grain lines can not be because they are a part of the crystal''s structure, whereas the other two are characteristics of improper diamond polishing.

I hope that answered your question...?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Polishing marks on all the facets?

Highly unlikely unless the cutter was using his feet to hold the stone.

Most like you are seeing dirt or graining in the stone. If it is graining it should be checked for strain as it sounds like there is a lot of it there.

This stone doesn''t have a lab report - does it? If it does, then the report should explaiin it.

Rockdoc

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone.

No, it is polish lines on every facet and also on the table although not as noticeable on the table. There is no lab certificate. The polish lines go in one direction across the whole table and there is a surface grain line going across the whole table in another direction and then following on down the crown at an angle.

I did not know that stones could be completely polished automatically. Why would this be?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a candidate for return to the seller..

Advice: Buy a stone with GIA or AGS cert report.

Rockdoc

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that sadly I have see some stones with polish lines throughout each facet, including the table...those awful looking GIA student stones we practice our plotting and grading on.

We needed to see some Poor graded polish on stones, because Excellent simply doesn''t teach much if that''s all you ever see...
31.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This diamond is beautiful though and the polish looks very adamantine like compared to other diamonds I have seen. There is nothing to be seen when looking at the stone face on with a loupe but polish lines can be seen when the light is reflected off the facets. Someone said it may be polished parallel to a cube face.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are definitely polish lines as the surface grain line which is shown on both sides of the crown (same one which is on the table) crosses over the bezel facets at a different angle than both these facets are polished. There is another bezel facet which has polish going in two directions on the left of the facet it runs like this /// and then on the right side of the same bezel facet it runs like this ----- , so the one facet is ///===.

The stone is very clear to the naked eye, as clear as the stone in the polish tutorial above.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Obviously the polishing lines concern you.

Perhaps you could talk to the seller to see if the polishing marks could be polished out. This way you get the stone you like with no polishing marks.

Rockdoc

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rockdoc. The stone is only 0.47 carats so polishing it would probably not be worth it.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Well, a stone with polish marks that are visible to the naked eye, doesn''t seem to have a good polish to me...

Personally, I have seen stones that seemed OK with a loupe and under higher magnification where definately correctly graded Good or Fair.

My guess is that the cost of the stone to get repolished would be the prohibitiv factor, because a good lapidary would loose absolutely minimal (.05cts or less) to repolish a stone properly.

Good luck, so if you can live with it, enjoy it!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nicrez

I probably worded it wrongly but it is not noticeable to the naked eye. I can see it if I reflect the light of the facets because I know where it is. It was under magnification I was looking at it, though not high magnification.

They are polish lines I do not see any marks just lines and they are all clear colored - no whitish look.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why would a stone by completely polished automatically?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also the polish lines on the table are very very faint under magnification more like shallow ripples.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results