shape
carat
color
clarity

Point me in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jeffreykhandy

Rough_Rock
This may be a very repetitive question...so i apologize in advance.

I have just started looking for a diamond (round cut) for an engagement ring and am in the process of learning how to rate a diamond. However, I''m not that sure about prices. I am looking at spending around $3500 for the stone and want a relative equal balance between quality and quantity.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? What size stone should I be looking for? What rating? Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Jay
[email protected]

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jay, first off you have to figure out what your priorities are. Helping you do this will be the Pscope Tutorial...you can find it on one of the links off the homepage or the top nav items. It will tell you alot about what you could be looking for in order to achieve that 'balance'.

What size stones are you looking at? What color, what clarity? I would assume a very good or excellent cut since you note quality as well as quantity (which would assume ctw). If you are looking for the biggest, best cut stone your budget will allow, I would estimate something like a 1c I SI1 excellently cut H&A stone. Confirm it faces up eye clean and you shouldn't see hardly any (if any!) color in a well cut I. If you are unsure about going I in color, try something like a .95 H SI or similar for the same price.

Hope that helped. Let us know what your thoughts are on the parameters noted above or what you feel your top priorities are and people are usually more than willing to chime in with their thoughts and/or point you in a few educational directions to start comparing prices and some actual stones. Whether you purchase online or offline, the info you learn by looking at stones online with all their information AND looking at stones offline in person will all help you figure out what tickles your fancy in the end.

: )Good luck!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 12/1/2003 4:18:03 PM jeffreykhandy wrote:

I have just started looking for a diamond (round cut) for an engagement ring and am in the process of learning how to rate a diamond. However, I'm not that sure about prices. I am looking at spending around $3500 for the stone and want a relative equal balance between quality and quantity.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? What size stone should I be looking for? What rating? Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

----------------

Welcome, Jeff! There's a wealth of information and help on this forum, so you've come to the right place.

The most universal truth held "sacred" around here....CUT (not the shape, but the proportions of the cut) is the most important factor that affects how a diamond looks.....how it sparkles, how it performs, and how it appears to the eye.

Regarding color/clarity, etc.....everyone's preferences are different. Anywhere between D and I color (and sometimes even J) should be fine, and clarity typically of SI1 or better are usually fine.

Many here will tell you that the best values are had in the G/H/I color range and the VS2/SI1 clarity range. Dropping from a VS2 to an SI1 that is eye-clean will save you quite a bit of cash while making NO visual sacrifice. Similarly, going with a G/H/I stone offers the option to get a stone that doesn't show color face-up while avoiding paying the premium for a stone that says "colorless" on paper (almost like the label on designer jeans).

To some people, what's "on paper" is very important, and they are willing to pay more to get it. If that's you, then you can work from there. If you would rather not pay for something you can't see and get a bigger stone out of the deal, than stay in the G/H/I range and VS2 or SI1 (I prefer SI1 myself....huge premium drop from VS2 and no visible difference if the vendor can see the stone for you).

Above all, focus on the cut first. Incidentally, I have been looking in your same budget. I'm finding that range allows for approximately an H, VS2 ideal-cut (but not ultimate cut) stone, or a .90 G, SI1 stone. It's tough to find anything at the 1 ct range for $3500 in a decent make....you'd have to stretch to about $4100 or so.

Let us know if we can help. If you indicate that you'd like a few suggestions, we can post a few links to stones that might fit the bill. Or, post the ones you find and I'm sure folks will chime in the help you assess them.
tongue.gif

DEVO

Rough_Rock
I just have to say... well said.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, DEVO.......really.
9.gif
rodent.gif

jeffreykhandy

Rough_Rock
ok...how does this sound...

1.00 carat
I
SI1
6.20 x 6.29x 4.03mm

what measurements am i missing? how much would you pay for that stone?

btw, i am amazed with how many and how quickly people on this board get back to you. you guys are great!

thanks,
J.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
A well-cut 1c stone should have a diameter of 6.5mm. This stone you posted has an average of around 6.25. Definitely not a well-cut stone. It will most likely carry alot of weight in the pavilion (e.g. depth may be something like 62.5%) where you can't see it, so you don't want extra weight there.

1.gif
I would pass on this one...

jeffreykhandy

Rough_Rock
what would be an average price to put on it?

J.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Heavily second Mara's comments, Jeff.......a well-cut, 1 ct, diamond measures about 6.5mm. This stone at 6.25 measures more like a .90-92 carat or so.

I've spent the last week obsessively shopping in your same range (at least I gather from the specs you gave above). If you'd like a few suggestions, send me a PM and I'll be happy to point you to a few.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just PM'd you Jeff....and it depends on if you are shopping online or offline, but online a stone like this possibly around $2500-2700 or a little more? If it's not that well cut. Waste of money in my opinion because.....

As I also told you in the PM, don't settle!
1.gif
Your budget is definitely doable to get a well-cut (maybe not super-duper excellently but WELL CUT) 1c H/I SI -- so keep looking!
1.gif
You can maximize the look and still get a good cut--remember the cut is what makes the stone look the best...this stone you are considering will look more like a .90c stone...so not worth it IMO.
1.gif

BTW Al I am practically an expert in this size scenario now thanks to you...hehehe.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
LMAO - me, too. I feel as though I have asked about EVERY stone in this size/budget range in this past week!

If we haven't found it together by now, I'd wager it doesn't exist! LOL

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Mara....just emailed you!

jeffreykhandy

Rough_Rock
Ok...next round

1.06ct
6.47 x 6.50 x 4.1mm
F
SI2
$3500

or

1.15ct
6.83 x 6.78 x 4.12
K
VS2
$3000

would you recommend either of these?

thanks..you guys are the best.

Jay

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'd pass on the K.

It's hard to comment on the F without crown/pav angles....can you get them.

Give me 10 minutes, and then see your PM.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh pass on that K. Could be too yellow and if you don't know you like the look of a warm K...then it isn't worth chancing it.

You need crown and pav angles for that F. The info you gave is not nearly enough
1.gif
But the diameter looks a little small. If a well cut 1c is supposed to be 6.5mm, then a 1.06 should not be average UNDER 6.5mm.

Al--check your PMs!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Mara.....done.....check your PM.

Jeff.....did you check your PM?

(This is silly....I feel like we should have secret decoder rings! LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results