shape
carat
color
clarity

Pocket Watch Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
I am looking to propose to my boyfriend in the early summer months (either May or June) and would like to give him a pocket watch at that time.

The pocket watch I am envisioning is classy, gold or gold-toned, and is blank on the front so that I can have a picture engraved on it. I would rather not spend more then $1,000 on this (preferably less), including engraving.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good place to purchase a reliable pocket watch fitting my requirements?

And where would I locate someone who could engrave a picture (an outline of ballroom dancers) on the front of it?

Or is this all a pipe-dream, and the engraving is a bad idea?

Oh - and the reason I am proposing? He proposed last year, we were engaged, I got scared and broke off the engagement. We are still together and working through things, even tentatively discussing a wedding for this fall, and I want to surprise him with a proposal (as he has mentioned that he will probably propose in May or June if everything is going well).

It seems only fair that I propose this time since he has done it once and I broke his heart. I think it would make my sensitive guy happy (he will probably even cry!), and he would remember that this time I am sure!

Anyways, please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Cohiba Aficionado

Rough_Rock
Adrienne:

First of all let me say that, as a man, I like your approach, I think it will go over well. But, why a pocket watch and not a wristwatch? I only wear a pocket watch when I wear a three-piece suit with a watch pocket in the vest, which isn't very often anymore. If he does wear a three-piece suit, I would get him a gold watch and it must have a gold chain. A good gold chain can cost as much as the watch.

There are three basic types, open face, hunter where the face opens up, and full hunter where both the face and the back open up. I have all three, open face inherited from my father, hunter inherited from my grandfather, and full hunter inherited from my great-grandfather. I am currently looking for a nice display case so I can exhibit all three, but most display cases only hold one, and I never really wear them anymore.

I think that buying a vintage pocket watch is preferable to buying new, so I would look at the NAWCC site and ask questions, the are the authoritative WIS's on the subject

http://nawcc-mb.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=frm&s=2386079361&f=4316035461

Cohiba Aficionado

Rough_Rock
Here is a picture of my Full Hunter:

standard.jpg

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the website - I'll take a look over there and see what I can find out.

My guy is a professional ballroom dancer and teaches in his spare time. He doesn't wear a wrist watch because students tend to accidently pull on it while dancing, which he finds pretty annoying. He has gotten in the habit of looking at his cell phone to find out the time, but a pocket watch would be even better!

A pocket watch is something he would probably use. He could wear it while he teaches, possibly while he practices with his dance partner, and when we go out social dancing, as well as during his normal workday as a software engineer. We attend enough formal dance functions that even if that were the only time he wore it, it would still be worn once or twice a month.

Besides that, it really compliments his existing traits - he is a man with class and style, a genuinely nice guy who is the perfect gentleman... and the pocket watch would really fit his personality!
1.gif

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of a pocketwatch. I bought my boyfriend a pocketwatch for our anniversary (he doesnt wear wrist-watches and he attends formal functions semi-frequently) and he really likes it. It cost me around $300 from just a generic mall jeweler. It came with a design on the front and I engraved his initials in the center. It also came with a chain and a little gold pocket knife, that on one side has his initials and on the other has my initials.

I have seen many plain gold pocketwatches, so I'm guessing you could get one engraved with the design you want on it? I would suggest going to a local jeweler (rather than a mall jeweler) that you like and trust, and ask if they can do such an engraving. Also, you may want to bring a picture so they can see clearly what you are imagining and that can help give them more of an idea of what they can do for you.

Considering the one I bought was around $300, I can't imagine what you are wanting costing too much more. I remember that there were some a few hundred dollars more, but the one I bought looks great and works great, so I'm not sure why there was such a markup. Just make sure you look around, there are a lot more possibilities than you would think!

I hope this helps - I think it sounds like a great idea! Have fun on your search!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results