shape
carat
color
clarity

Pocket Watch help

sortonb

Rough_Rock
Could anyone offer advice on purchasing a pocket watch? I want to get something for my husband as a 1st fathers day gift. We are having a boy so I hope it will be something nice that lasts and can be passed down to our son. I think that my husband will like a pocket watch, but I don't expect that he will wear it all the time. I've learned what I can, but am still not sure what to purchase. I definitely want it to be mechanical, and I am leaning towards a double hunter case because I like seeing all the detail. I keep seeing Charles-Hubert, but I don't know if that is a quality brand. Something like this might do:

http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Hubert-Paris-Mechanical-Pocket-Watch/dp/B002NSMFC8/ref=sr_1_2?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1305738322&sr=1-2

But I don't know if this is a quality piece that will last. However, I don't want to spend more just to spend more, I want it to be for a better value. Would purchasing stainless steel be worth the extra cost? I think that sterling silver is out of my price range but I'm comfortable spending a couple of hundred.

ANY advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

sortonb

Rough_Rock
No one?

Can anyone recommend a watch forum somewhere out there where I might be more likely to get advice??

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
One year ago I bought a pocket watch for my husband: he did like the old fashioned look, but he also wanted something practical and cheap for everyday use, so I went with something like this:
http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Kienzle-Germany-Savonette-Stainless-Steel-Quartz-Pocket-Watch/4304884/product.html
If your husband is not a watch expert, I highly recommend to buy a stainless steel quartz watch not a mechanical one because of the tons of problems you can have with a cheap mechanical movement.
I bought it from a local jeweller.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Check out Timezone (www.timezone.com). I used be active there, and was able to repair my grandfather's pocket watch with a vendor in Georgia recommended to me on TZ.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results