shape
carat
color
clarity

Plum Blossom Ring and Bangle

voce

Ideal_Rock
My favorite flower is the plum blossom. Unlike the cherry blossom, the petals don't come to pointy tips, and the plum blossom flowers in winter even in the snow, so is an emblem of spring and hope.

Here is my first concave cut gem. A Mahenge spinel, cut by Richard Homer. I decided this one needed a special setting, and planned since 2019 for a plum blossom ring. The problem was, it's too difficult to find matches in terms of the color intensity and tone in other Mahenge spinels.

Here is the concave cut spinel with a rare pair of Vietnamese spinels that resembled Mahenge material. Unfortunately, one of these is included to the point my jeweler said we shouldn't use it.
IMG_20200422_115950.jpg

I have since 2019 come into possession of (okay, actually impulse purchased) fine Burmese spinels in melee sizes of ~2.8mm, which actually match pretty well color-wise. Shown here is a 3.4mm spinel from Desertrose and the 2.8mm spinels from Cecile Raley Designs.

PXL_20210902_230410118.jpg

Here is the layout I designed for a ring. Eventually on the shoulders we had to simplify and take off the yellow diamond. IMG-20211105-WA0001.jpg
Instead of a ring and pendant as I originally planned, I'm going to opt for ring and bangle. Here's the inspirations for the bangle, and my sloppy sketch. It's supposed to be a toi et moi bangle with two gem flowers, plus some jeweled buds.

1636614892430.png
From AliExpress (above) and Etsy (below by Hapagirls); the Etsy bangle is clearly cherry blossom, but I particularly liked the flower placement and overlap (style 1). Of course I wanted quality CS gems instead of metal for the flowers. :Up_to_something:
il_794xN.2636703880_qrk8.jpg
My sketch below for what I want to make.
PXL_20211110_214828618.jpg
The gems intended for bracelet: pink spinels and vivid yellow diamond.
Screenshot_20211110-231812.png

The ring is cast, and the bracelet is next for a wax model.
IMG-20211110-WA0001.jpg IMG-20211110-WA0000.jpg

Journey is to be continued...

Last edited:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, this may be my favorite of your projects yet, and that's saying something as they all are spectacular!

Side note- thanks for introducing me to the beauty of plum blossoms too. I have lots of Japanese cherry trees and had no idea the plum was just as, if not more beautiful. Do these bear fruit, or are they fruitless like the Yoshino?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG…I’m speechless…This is an amazing project. I can’t wait to see them! I love Plum Blossoms! :kiss2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this may be my favorite of your projects yet, and that's saying something as they all are spectacular!

Side note- thanks for introducing me to the beauty of plum blossoms too. I have lots of Japanese cherry trees and had no idea the plum was just as, if not more beautiful. Do these bear fruit, or are they fruitless like the Yoshino?

They bear fruit that's tart and gets made into pickles and sauces and beverages. (酸梅汤)

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooo I can’t wait!!!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! I love the designs and the casting is so beautiful! :love: I’m looking forward to seeing the finished pieces.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Ohmygoodness, it looks so beautiful!!! I can't wait to see the finished pieces! (I've never seen plum blossoms before---they are really gorgeous.)

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hooray, I've gotten an update today. Hooray, I've gotten an update today. Here's the finished ring. Bracelet will be postponed to next year due to my forgetting to mail Inken all the gems, but I'm thrilled with this ring. :mrgreen2:
IMG-20211203-WA0001.jpg IMG-20211203-WA0000.jpg IMG-20211203-WA0004.jpg IMG-20211203-WA0003.jpg IMG-20211203-WA0002.jpg

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, that is beautiful! I can't wait for you to get it in person & post those pix. Congratulations @voce on another fabulous piece for your wonderful collection!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add me to the list of people who didn’t know plum blossoms were a thing…and what a lovely thing they are. You‘re ring is a beautiful representation of them. I also really love the organic branch look on the band. :kiss2:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I love it, what more is there to say?
I love it. :love:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, that is spectacular! Every detail is exquisite.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
It’s incredible. The video on Inken’s IG page shows the details even better and it’s a true beauty, congratulations @voce !

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I somehow missed this thread (!?) but when I saw that knock-out ring on Inken's IG, I knew it must be yours, @voce! Nice to see the back story! What a singular and spectacular creation!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the comments! I've been busy, and then it was raining here all the time so no sunshine to show off the ring. Well, still no shots in natural light, but here's the night view in artificial light... with some other rings as bonus.

IMG20211212223829.jpg IMG20211212223611.jpg IMG20211212223341.jpg IMG20211212223349.jpg IMG20211212223322.jpg
It’s incredible. The video on Inken’s IG page shows the details even better and it’s a true beauty, congratulations @voce !
Thanks for telling me about the video, I don't normally check IG but love her video of the ring :))

I somehow missed this thread (!?) but when I saw that knock-out ring on Inken's IG, I knew it must be yours, @voce! Nice to see the back story! What a singular and spectacular creation!
Really?! I've done a number of different rings with her, all a different style, except for specific sets. In this case, we're going to make a matching bangle next year. What made you think it was mine?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What made you think it was mine?

Not an insult (!) -- they have all been lovely!

Look at the first photo you posted just above. You definitely have a "style" or "look." Smaller, meticulously-curated, very vivid stones often in complementary colors (with no pave) and a radially symmetric design with a stylized floral motif. (This last one was a departure -- an actual blossom -- and your avatar is, of course, not that style but still is very "you.") Most people do the look-at-me center stone and maybe a diamond halo or a couple of side stones whereas you put as much thought into the entourage as you do to the center showpiece.

Maybe I'm nuts; I think of this as your "signature" style. I love it!

voce

Ideal_Rock

Look at the first photo you posted just above. You definitely have a "style" or "look." Smaller, meticulously-curated, very vivid stones often in complementary colors (with no pave) and a radially symmetric design with a stylized floral motif. (This last one was a departure -- an actual blossom -- and your avatar is, of course, not that style but still is very "you.") Most people do the look-at-me center stone and maybe a diamond halo or a couple of side stones whereas you put as much thought into the entourage as you do to the center showpiece.

I never took it for an insult, but I haven't ever been able to articulate what my style is, yet you have little difficulty doing so!

Yes, I do put thought into the "entourage" if I am going fully custom with a project. I think I like symmetry, except for organic forms, but it'll likely be a linear symmetry for an elongated stone and only radial if it's a round/oval. I think there are so many design choices available using various colors of smaller stones, versus a large "honker" stone, which sort of limits what can be done since a large stone hogs finger real estate.

Thank you for recognizing my signature style and articulating it so!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This is exactly what I was just thinking, as I’m reading through this thread for the first time now. As soon as I saw the picture with all the rings, this plum blossom design made total and complete sense :)

That stunning ring is right at home @voce

voce

Ideal_Rock
We took a pause on the project, but the bangle is well underway by now!

IMG-20220329-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220418-WA0007.jpg IMG-20220424-WA0000.jpg

Right now I understand it's now in the setting phase. Very much looking forward to wearing the finished product. =)2

voce

Ideal_Rock
Since I'm thinking about the bangle, I took the ring out to play today.
PXL_20220501_002922296.jpg PXL_20220501_002926614.jpg PXL_20220501_003319181.jpg
Hot pink in sunlight, a bit redder out of direct sunlight. My camera does no justice to the concave cut, but I love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results