shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls look at this turquose

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I am purchasing a piercing earring from BVLA. It is all turquoise. BVLA notes their turquoise is stabilized. I noticed a blemish on one stone and if I look closely some can be seen on other stones.
I am not sure if these are natural blemishes. I did look up random turquoises and saw these spots, but it almost looks to me like some sort of dyed coating is on the stone and peeling off.
I dont know really anything about turquoise treatments, etc. but can anyone offer any suggestions?
image_6209779 copy.jpeg

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
It is the very bottom stone. The 3rd stone from the bottom looks to have similar faint blemishes. Thank you

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes!
That's not right at all, especially in a design where all the cabs should have the same uniform color.
I have a fair bit of turquoise, and the majority of it is treated. There are some secret treatments, like the Zachary process, and other treatments that involve soaking in epoxy/acetone. These treatments preserve color and harden the stone.
But I have never seen turquoise coated with anything that would peel off.

Last edited:

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Yikes!
That's not right at all, especially in a design where all the cabs should have the same uniform color.
I have a fair bit of turquoise, and the majority of it is treated. There are some secret treatments, like the Zachary process, and other treatments that involve soaking in epoxy/acetone. These treatments preserve color and harden the stone.
But I have never seen turquoise coated with anything that would peel off.

I can not confirm something is peeling off. This is a pic from a seller. I'm not sure if it's a discoloration of the stone OR something peeling off. I can also see it in the 3 stone as mentioned from bottom and I think the top stone looks it as well but more faint. Do any of your turquoises have light and dark areas?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can not confirm something is peeling off. This is a pic from a seller. I'm not sure if it's a discoloration of the stone OR something peeling off. I can also see it in the 3 stone as mentioned from bottom and I think the top stone looks it as well but more faint. Do any of your turquoises have light and dark areas?

All my turquoise has veining and mottling, with light and dark in the same stone.
It's just the natural look that I prefer.

The stones in your earrings may be Sleeping Beauty which is a clear blue stone with very little matrix. It is commonly used for small cabs like the ones in your earrings.
However, I've never seen Sleeping Beauty with white areas, but that does not mean it doesn't exist.
The light areas might not be a big deal at all when you wear them.
They are very pretty!

Last edited:
So I don't think anything is peeling off (naturally I don't have the benefit of examining the stone in person). But I've seen a lot of this. When the turq is stabilized, some parts of it are more porous than others. And so those parts readily absorb the epoxy and darken, while more stubborn areas do not (and stay lighter). I believe that is what is going on with your stone. Of course, even natural turq that has not been stabilized is often going to have uneven coloration. If the look of it doesn't bother you, I wouldn't be concerned. Now if you actually see a film that is lifting which you can peel off, then the stone was likely coated to give it more shine. I've never experienced that before, but it happens. Anyway, pretty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results