shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls help to pick between two stones- thanks. Images included

RS6_UK

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Following a previous post, I have now narrowed down ER centre stone choices to two diamonds with exactly the same price, carat weight, colour and clarity ratings (AGS000). The cut is from the same range too. So it is literally picking between them and I would really appreciate the help of this expert forum based on the images and specifications as under.

Diamond 1:
-Depth 61.7%
-Table 55.6%
-Crown Angle 34.8°
-Pavilion Angle 40.6°
-Crown % 15.4%
-Pavilion depth 42.7%
-Girdle thin to medium 1.7%-3.9%
-Star length 53%
-Lower half 77.0%
-Measurements: 7.82x7.84x4.83
24-1.png 24-2.png 24-3.png 24-4.png

Diamond 2:
-Depth 61.7%
-Table 56.8%
-Crown Angle 34.8°
-Pavilion Angle 40.7°
-Crown % 15.0%
-Pavilion depth 42.9%
-Girdle thin to slightly thick 1.9%-4.1%
-Star length 52%
-Lower half 76.0%
-Measurements: 7.80x7.82x4.82
23-1.png 23-2.png 23-3.png 23-4.png

Thank you for any advice and input - need to finalise the choice by tomorrow.

Cheers,
R

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Pls help to pick between two stones- thanks. Images incl

Nitpicking here, but I like the slightly higher crown % and crown angle with smaller table in #1. May give a tad bit more fire. Ask the gemologist for their opinion - it really is throwing a dart, as they are both beautiful.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ecf8503|1444492402|3936945 said:
Nitpicking here, but I like the slightly higher crown % and crown angle with smaller table in #1. May give a tad bit more fire. Ask the gemologist for their opinion - it really is throwing a dart, as they are both beautiful.

Ditto...just from these single still shots I like the first one more...but I could really love either. Agree with ecf, talk to the
gemologist.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

I also like the first one but both are great. I wonder if they vendor can make a video of them side by side under some different lighting conditions. Probably won't notice any real difference though. You can't go wrong with whichever one you ultimately pick though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like #1

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Another vote for #1

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I vote for #1. I like the smaller table and it just looks crisper in the pictures. But really I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of those diamonds!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's throwing a dart. I can tell you right now, if you reduce those pictures down so that the stones appear 7.8mm, none of us will likely be able to tell them apart. They would make a fabulous pair of matching stud earrings!

I would ask them if one is higher in the color range than the other. That would make my decision easier. If they are the same, then I'd probably pick number one, but there is nothing at all wrong with #2.

RS6_UK

Rough_Rock

Thank you all!

diamondseeker2006 - thanks. Both stones are the same in colour, clarity, carat and price.

For completeness, I have provided the plots and HCA score of each stone from my first post:

Diamond 1:

24-ags.png 24-hca.png

Diamond 2:

23-ags.png 23-hca.png

I'm not sure if the above information changes anyone's initial choice?

As advised, I will also speak to the gemmologist but this completes all the information I have on both stones.

Thank you.
R

RS6_UK

Rough_Rock

Hi All

I'll be making the stone selection tomorrow and so far the consensus seems to be Diamond 1.

Any final thoughts/changes on this now that the plots and HCA scores have been posted?

Thank you.
R

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yay for #1!
It's gorgeous, really pops.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just FYI, you don't use the HCA at all on AGS Ideal cut diamonds because they have already been graded for light return. The HCA is to help narrow down the very broad range of GIA excellent stones to try to get one that falls in the ideal cut parameters. So both of these stones are top notch.

I think you misunderstood what I said before about color, though. Within every color grade there is a range. There can be a high H or a low H that looks close to an I color. When I was looking for my newest pair of WF ACA studs, they compared about 3 pairs of diamonds for me, and they told me that one diamond was low in the color range so we rejected that pair. Like I said, they could both be in the mid-range of the color grade and appear exactly the same color. But one could be high and one could be low, too. It would make a difference to me to get the one with higher color if all else is equal. I will add that it won't matter so much if these are D or E color, but it can matter at the H-I-J level.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker2006|1444617462|3937371 said:
Within every color grade there is a range. There can be a high H or a low H that looks close to an I color. When I was looking for my newest pair of WF ACA studs, they compared about 3 pairs of diamonds for me, and they told me that one diamond was low in the color range so we rejected that pair. Like I said, they could both be in the mid-range of the color grade and appear exactly the same color. But one could be high and one could be low, too. It would make a difference to me to get the one with higher color if all else is equal. I will add that it won't matter so much if these are D or E color, but it can matter at the H-I-J level.

gia_set_of_masters_-_color__posted_by_chrono_.jpg

To expand on what diamondseeker2006 is pointing out here. If you examine the 'master set' of diamonds which the grader uses to compare colors there can, indeed, be ranges between 'identical' colors. It never hurts to ask someone who has seen a diamond in person where in the range a diamond may fall.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results