shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls help me pick between these 3 pears

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

Can you please share your opinions on these 3 pears? None are in US and gemologist can't eyeball them. No aset either.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.57-carat-d-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-719965

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.50-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-739217

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.52-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-735729

1. Any idea which has least or most bow tie? Is bow tie desirable?

2. Which has most fire, brilliance and scintillation?

3. Which is more crisp? Which is more mush?

4. Which do you prefer? And why?

Thank you. :))

Q

Queenie60

I prefer the second stone - F VVS1, it seems to have more sparkle than the first and third stone. It doesn't seem to have a prominent bowtie which is a plus. However, I would prefer a L/W ratio of 1.50 to 1.55, that's just my preference. A 1.42 ratio is a bit fat for my personal taste. Hope you find the right pear! :dance:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the F VVS1. It has a nice shape, basically no bow-tie and a pretty faceting pattern.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Yep, another vote for the F-VVSI (and personally I really like the "fatter" l/w ratio, for a ring anyway ... but that's a matter of taste). It's a nice shape and has the best proportions. I really don't like the depth on that D at all -- I would not consider the D.

alamana

Shiny_Rock

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Queenie, Tyty, and Alamana, thanks for sharing your opinions and for offering additional options. :)) I realised I really don't know what I like in a pear. What ratio do I like? What is considered pretty faceting in pear? Do I prefer a pear or oval or marquise? I think not knowing which shape I prefer is the hardest part to nail things down.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suggest you go to a local jeweler who is not one of those Jewelry Exchange nightmares or a department store chain, with a decent selection of fancy shaped stones and try on as many pears as you can.

Be cagey. Say that you have around a $4,000 budget for just the stone, but you would much prefer to spend less (under 3k) as you are paying for the wedding yourselves. And that you want something under a carat.

Yes, by cagey I mean lie. Why? Because most jewelers who have fancies are going to have ones around a carat. And none around 1/2 carat and will not give you the time of day, or will show you the door.

They will push that budget and bring you 5k stones that are at a carat unless they are a really smart jeweler (rare).

While you are there also try on ovals and marquise just for the heck of it. Tell them you find rounds boring when though you know they perform better and there are more of them.

Just be open. Treat yourself to an adventure. And while you are there note what looks best on your hand.

Cause that's what matters. You wear diamonds. You don't see them on large computer screens once you own them.

So make sure you know what looks best on you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1447585383|3949888 said:
Ashleigh|1447526145|3949643 said:

These two are the better performers.

Is there any way you can order both and return the one that doesn't capture your heart? Cause that's what I'd do. That's better than a visit to a local store.

Gypsy, thanks for your advice on shopping locally to try fancies. But I think most stores don't carry oval, marquise and pear unfortunately. Or at least I have never noticed. Maybe the high end ones do but I doubt they have them in small carats.

Gypsy, may I know why you picked these 2 as the better performers. I've no idea how to tell from the video which is a performer and which isn't. I picked them based on least black/bow tie in centre. I suppose that's a start. Can you please share how you tell a performer from a dud? As I might lose taxes even when I returned the diamond, I can't buy both to compare. Thank you for your help. :))

ETA: Gypsy, I really appreciate your advice and knowledge and so I have released the hold on the 0.57 ct pear since you don't think it's as good. Can you also please look at the following and share your thoughts? I picked it due to pastels I see on its video. But bow tie seems more than the 2 pears. But I'm really a novice so I'd really appreciate help. Thank you so much :))

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.52-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-727132

So I'm considering between the 2 pears and this oval now. Somehow the faceting of the 0.52 ct pear seems to look similar to that of the oval. Am I seeing correctly, no?

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Ashleigh|1447582175|3949874 said:
Do I prefer a pear or oval or marquise? I think not knowing which shape I prefer is the hardest part to nail things down.

I think you simply must nail down the shape. As another poster suggested, you need to go try them on in a mall store. You might be surprised at what you do or do not like on your finger; I thought I wanted a cushion ... or maybe a princess or radiant ... and was almost ready to buy a cushion online. But then I went into a store and tried on rings "just to be sure" and discovered I hated the square shapes on my finger and wanted a pear or an oval. Ended up with a pear I love. But especially since you are up in the air between pear, oval, and marquise I think you need to try them on. That will definitely help you decide on the shape. One of the stores I was in didn't have certain fancy shape diamond engagement rings -- but they did have some fancy shape colored stone rings (for some reason there seem to be a lot of morganite pears out there and plenty of sapphire ovals). So I was able to try those on and get a sense of shape.

Especially since buying and returning is a potential problem for you, I think you really need to go try stuff on before you buy online.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results